• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

remember 107.7 KSOL????

I believe this was just before they became wild 1077, I thought it was a cool station, they did have a cool logo, I also think that they were head to head with hot 977 in the south bay around that time, anybody know who was on the air and what dayparts????

> I believe this was just before they became wild 1077, I
> thought it was a cool station, they did have a cool logo, I
> also think that they were head to head with hot 977 in the
> south bay around that time, anybody know who was on the air
> and what dayparts????
>
I think St John and Rene Taylor (sp?) was on KSOL

> > I believe this was just before they became wild 1077, I
> > thought it was a cool station, they did have a cool logo,
> I
> > also think that they were head to head with hot 977 in the
>
> > south bay around that time, anybody know who was on the
> air
> > and what dayparts????
> >
> I think St John and Rene Taylor (sp?) was on KSOL
>

This station had been around for years and years and years so there was TONS of personality turnover. It was also an urban powerhouse for most of that time and only started to lean more hispanic in the early 90s by taking on a more dance/crossover appeal (started by PD Bob Mitchell and later continued by Rick Thomas, Bob Hamilton, and Michael Martin) and going after both Hot 97.7 and KMEL as it took the name "Wild 107." Mancow, Renee Taylor, "Dancin'" Mark Hansen, Jo Jo Wright, Doug Lee, and Victor Saragoza were the key elements of the staff as the transition happened and continued to Wild. But back in the urban days, everyone from Nick Harper to Michael Erickson worked there.

> from Nick Harper to Michael Erickson worked there.

Here are some names I rememeber; Marvin Robinson, Michael Erickson, Lee Perkins,
Marcos Gutierrez, Bobby Roque, and mix DJ Cameron Paul, who didn't go live much....only a few times, I think.

And how can you forget Leslie Stoval! Isn't she still around SF radio.

> And how can you forget Leslie Stoval! Isn't she still
> around SF radio.
>

Yes, Leslie Stoval is doing mid-days at 102.9 KBLX FM

> Yes, Leslie Stoval is doing mid-days at 102.9 KBLX FM
>

Actually, she's been doing nights 7pm-12am there since January. Probably the best quiet storm jock in the USA.

Dave Padilla was a newscaster at KSOL during the late 1970s. He is now a reporter and weekend anchor (mornings) on KCBS/740.<P ID="signature">______________
<center>
Bay Area Radio Museum | Bay Area Radio Digest
</center></P>

> For awhile, Padilla did the morning news with a co-anchor...Marilyn Sandifur, I think - which was odd for an FM music station. KSOL was a phenomenon in the early 80s, and dominated the SF market's ratings for a few years (except for #1 KGO, of course). I believe it was one of the first urban programmed stations to hit it big in a major market. Marcos Guitterez did a good high energy afternoon drive show. In the late 80s (?), KMEL had morphed from "All Hits" into Hip-Hop, and got heavily into Rap - at which point they kicked KSOL's tail in the ratings. Then KSOL re-named itself "Wild 107" and tried harder to compete with KMEL.

Dave Padilla was a newscaster at KSOL during the late 1970s.
> He is now a reporter and weekend anchor (mornings) on
> KCBS/740.
>

Yeah, this thread brings back some heavy memories. I think you're right about the morning co anchor being Marilyn Sandifur. I remember the morning news well - the way Dave used to say, "I'm Dave Pa DEEEE yah!" :)I remmeber leslie Stoval, too. She landed at BLX, huh? Cool. I've ben out of CA since 1999. Last I heard, Lee Perkins was at "mega 100" KQOD in Stockton. I worked there intermittently and briefly when it was country KFMR.

> > For awhile, Padilla did the morning news with a
> co-anchor...Marilyn Sandifur, I think - which was odd for an
> FM music station. KSOL was a phenomenon in the early 80s,
> and dominated the SF market's ratings for a few years
> (except for #1 KGO, of course). I believe it was one of the
> first urban programmed stations to hit it big in a major
> market. Marcos Guitterez did a good high energy afternoon
> drive show. In the late 80s (?), KMEL had morphed from "All
> Hits" into Hip-Hop, and got heavily into Rap - at which
> point they kicked KSOL's tail in the ratings. Then KSOL
> re-named itself "Wild 107" and tried harder to compete with
> KMEL.
>
> Dave Padilla was a newscaster at KSOL during the late 1970s.
>
> > He is now a reporter and weekend anchor (mornings) on
> > KCBS/740.
> >
>

Marilyn Sandifur. Boy...that is a name from the past. Did you know she went by the name Elaine Change doing traffic for several years?? Just a bit of radio trivia. I believe she is working for the Port of Oakland as their spokes person now.

> Yeah, this thread brings back some heavy memories. I think
> you're right about the morning co anchor being Marilyn
> Sandifur. I remember the morning news well - the way Dave
> used to say, "I'm Dave Pa DEEEE yah!" :)I remmeber leslie
> Stoval, too. She landed at BLX, huh? Cool. I've ben out of
> CA since 1999. Last I heard, Lee Perkins was at "mega 100"
> KQOD in Stockton. I worked there intermittently and briefly
> when it was country KFMR.
>
>
>
>
>
> > > For awhile, Padilla did the morning news with a
> > co-anchor...Marilyn Sandifur, I think - which was odd for
> an
> > FM music station. KSOL was a phenomenon in the early 80s,
>
> > and dominated the SF market's ratings for a few years
> > (except for #1 KGO, of course). I believe it was one of
> the
> > first urban programmed stations to hit it big in a major
> > market. Marcos Guitterez did a good high energy afternoon
> > drive show. In the late 80s (?), KMEL had morphed from
> "All
> > Hits" into Hip-Hop, and got heavily into Rap - at which
> > point they kicked KSOL's tail in the ratings. Then KSOL
> > re-named itself "Wild 107" and tried harder to compete
> with
> > KMEL.
> >
> > Dave Padilla was a newscaster at KSOL during the late
> 1970s.
> >
> > > He is now a reporter and weekend anchor (mornings) on
> > > KCBS/740.
> > >
> >
>

> Marilyn Sandifur. Boy...that is a name from the past. Did
> you know she went by the name Elaine Change doing traffic
> for several years?? Just a bit of radio trivia. I believe
> she is working for the Port of Oakland as their spokes
> person now.

Another name popped into my head about three o'clock this morning - Isaac Stevenson. I think he used to do mornings.

Hey Guys:

Does anybody know what date KSOL 107.7 started playing R&B?

Would anybody know what 107.7 was before it became R&B KSOL?

I do know it signed on in 1964.

Thnaks

T.J.

seaqkumba said:
This station had been around for years and years and years so there was TONS of personality turnover.

Originally begun as KUFY in 1963 and licensed to San Mateo, it was the last commercial FM to be allocated the the SF market. It was then co-owned with KOFY 1050 and KAFE 98.1 where it played background music and leased out its SCA for background music.

After it was sold by KOFY owner Scott Kilgore to United of Bethesda MD, it was renamed KVEZ and played contemporary music in Spanish. It then played contemporary music in English when the staff of 106.5 (then KPLX) was fired and moved to 107.7.

When 1450 abandoned the KSOL callsign to become KEST, the KSOL callsign was picked up by 107.7 and it went to an urban format. It rose to #4 in the market, one of the first urban stations to do so. The numbers were challenged, but they proved correct.

When it was bought by another owner (who?), the KSOL callsign was moved to 98.9 and 107.7 became KYLD. After Clear Channel bought it, programming on 94.9 and 107.7 were swapped, the KSAN callsign was moved from 94.9 to 107.7 and the KYLD sign was moved to 94.9.

Probably everybody in radio who isn't in jail has worked at 107.7, including yours truly.

Wow, hadn't thought of the old KSOL in ages!

Love Marilyn Sandifur, one of the best people I've ever worked with. Total pro.

Anybody remember an air talent there in the mid-eighties, first name Debbie? She went straight from KSOL to Hot I-94 in Honolulu, which is where I worked with her. Great fun, super-spunky, but she never had a chance. Haole, originally from Texas if I remember correctly, with no island background at all. Tossed right onto Oahu morning drive, her first week in town, to sink or swim. Talk about a culture gulf! Here, say "Kalanianaole Highway" for the locals, with no tutoring or practice. Or Kapiolani. Or humuhumunukunukuapua'a, for that matter. And lose the whole North, South, East, West thing, just intuit the use of mauka, makai, windward, leeward.

I felt so bad for her. Of course she didn't last - who could?

If anyone can recall her name, I'd love to get back in touch with her. Off to Google ...

DavidKaye said:
When it was bought by another owner (who?), the KSOL callsign was moved to 98.9 and 107.7 became KYLD.

I believe that was Crescent Communications, which also owned stations in Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

travisl5678 said:
What Happened to Hot 97.7, did it flip to KFOG as soon as it was bought by cumulus? What Year was it bought?

I don't remember the exact year, but I think it must have been at least a decade by now. I'm pretty sure 97.7 was purchased by the former owner...I can't quite think of the name. I want to say "Stratus," but that's another kind of cloud (like "cumulus")...perhaps something else that starts with "S." ???

travisl5678 said:
What Happened to Hot 97.7, did it flip to KFOG as soon as it was bought by cumulus? What Year was it bought?

Cumulus purchased the 97.7 frequency in 1995 and fliped the old Hot 97.7's format from CHR/Rhythmic to the current KFOG simulcast. The South Bay has been without a CHR Radio station ever since!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom