• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Redefining Radio Demos

I don't know if the examples given were real, but it was interesting to see that even in 1977, the share increased as people got older.
Those are just two random stations (KABC/Los Angeles and WABY/Albany)... if you were to look at any of the major Top 40s at the time, you would see massive shares in the younger cells.

Those are just two random stations (KABC/Los Angeles and WABY/Albany)... if you were to look at any of the major Top 40s at the time, you would see massive shares in the younger cells.

However, KABC was #1 overall, and KHJ was #5. In Albany, WGY was killing WTRY.

The narrative we hear from boomers is that young people drove radio listenership in the 70s. Not exactly true.

However, KABC was #1 overall, and KHJ was #5. In Albany, WGY was killing WTRY.

The narrative we hear from boomers is that young people drove radio listenership in the 70s. Not exactly true.

How are you seeing KHJ in that view? The stations are listed alphabetically. And which 1976 Los Angeles rating period was it?

In fact, once I started collecting airchecks in earnest, I was amazed to find how many surviving tapes were made by people who'd roll on a station that played music they mostly liked, and who would hit "pause" when the jock started talking or a song they didn't care for came on. They wanted the music.
I feel very, very seen here.

Now I treasure the "leftovers" at the ends of cassettes where I was just rolling tape and didn't try to edit anything. I'm going through a box of those right now.

Back
Top Bottom