• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Recording "Wave Out" on Dell with Vista

I remember reading about this somewhere, but I'm too tired to search out the right board and the right thread.

I got a Dell D820 laptop with Vista Ultimate recently as payment for a job I did. It was either take that or nothing, and it's better than nothing. Centrino duo processor, plenty of RAM, etc., but one maddening problem. I can't figure out a way to record "wave out" or "stereo out". It seems to be a driver issue with the Sigma Tel audio. An hour of chasing the problem on the Dell support site hasn't gotten me any closer to the answer. Dell acknowledges the problem, but doesn't offer a solution.

Anybody got a free or cheap answer to this problem, short of plugging a patch cable from the speaker out into the mic in?

There may be simpler, better ways.... but I do it so seldom that I haven't beat the subject enough to find them. I acquired TOTAL RECORDER from a company named High Criteria. I bought it because it will record for hours on end if you like, and will create a new distinct file every {fill in the number of your choice} minutes. Power goes down? Nothing lost but the current file.

Anyway. One of the features of it's drivers is the ability to capture whatever is coming through your sound card. Computer games. Quick Time video on the Internet. Whatever is coming through your sound card you grab.

And like setting a VCR to record at a certain time, TR has a timer feature to record at the time of your choice, unattended.

I haven't checked their prices lately but about $14 US was the price for a number of years. I paid about twice that and got a "professional grade" with a few added features. Google and you will find them.

Eureka!

I tried Total Recorder, which does a lot of things, but it couldn't solve the problem. I still could only record from either the internal mic, or the external mic/line input on my SigmaTel audio chipset.

But, I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION! In their infinite wisdom, Dell has finally put out a version of the driver that includes "stereo mix" as a recording source. Here's a link:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R171789.exe

IF your system normally uses the Dell R171788 driver, this one replaces it and adds the "stereo mix" as an audio source. IT WORKS!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom