• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Re: Rush Limbaugh song parodies - OTA

I used to also enjoy some of the Clinton bits. One was Hillary singing "All I Want is to Rule the World" as the sun comes up over Pennsylvania Ave. Another one was a radio drama where its Halloween time and some of Clinton's aides dressed up for Halloween as Reagan and Bush 41. The doorbell rings and Bill yells to Hillary he'll get it and she yells back for him to stay out of the candy and he replies with a face stuffed full of candy, OK honey, as he greets the faces of Reagan and Bush 41 who do pop off their masks. It's been so long ago I don't remember the entire thing, but it would be great to hear them again. That was the best part of Rush's show, the parody's. Of course, Clinton's lifestyle was such an easy target, sort of like shooting fish in a barrel. The oval bedroom, the executive in sleaze, etc.

Sometimes Rush would go too far and actually degrade Hillary as a woman, which like her or not, agree with her politics or not, that wasn't appropriate. Bill deserved the stuff thrown at him as it did represent his life style. But the demonizing of an opponent called by Limbaugh as the opposition, etc, like they were enemies of the state is wrong and that's what drove me away from his show.

You may not agree with anything Obama says or stands for, but it is non-sense for Rush or any of the other right wing talkers to say Obama's trying to destroy America. No, he just sees the solution to America's problems differently than the GOP and there's a big difference in the two points of view.

Sarah Palin may be an idiot, but I believe she loves America as much as Obama does. They both approach the problems from different perspectives, but neither is evil nor trying to destroy America. That's why I no longer listen to Rush.

MikefromDelaware said:
Sarah Palin may be an idiot, but I believe she loves America as much as Obama does. They both approach the problems from different perspectives, but neither is evil nor trying to destroy America. That's why I no longer listen to Rush.

Sorry, but I cannot disregard the flagrantly inflamatory rhetoric she used to poison some of the electorate during the '08 election. As if being potentially the first black President didn't have enough risk, you had that yahoo insisting that he's "paling around with terrorists".

That was not inncoent aw-shucks country bumpkin stuff-----that was irresponsible, unamerican and downright dangerous IMHO.

Party first, then country. Nice.

Palin doesn't want to destroy America anymore than Obama does. That was my point. I wouldn't vote for her to be dog catcher much less President, so I'm not a supporter of the "Alaskan Barbie" in any way, but she doesn't want to destroy the nation, neither does Obama, Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid, but to listen to Rush/Hannity/Beck those three people are the devil incarnate.

Granted, Mrs. Palin says inflammatory things that do not help the nation to have an intelligent discussion (but then again if you don't read or think beyond what you're told your talking points are as seems to be the case with our gal Sarah, then having an intelligent discussion is pretty much impossible. The bigger problem is that with so much inflammatory verbiage being spewed by both sides the odds of either side being able to move our country forward towards finding workable solutions seems remote.

Both sides view compromise as weakness. It's either all or nothing. Politics is all about compromise. You give a little, I give a little, we meet in the middle and things get done. Unfortunately, Sarah Palin isn't the only politician right or left, or the only talking head on radio or TV that is saying inflammatory things. It's become a part of the American political system, besides saying inflammatory things gets you ratings on radio and TV, plus political donations. As is the usual case, follow the money. Ratings and donors both equal money.

those parody songs on Limbaugh's show are done by a guy from Memphis named Paul Shanklin, and most
are available on CD at his website. http://www.paulshanklin.com/

MikefromDelaware said:
You may not agree with anything Obama says or stands for, but it is non-sense for Rush or any of the other right wing talkers to say Obama's trying to destroy America. No, he just sees the solution to America's problems differently than the GOP and there's a big difference in the two points of view.
Some of Obama's approaches (to, for example, the economy, energy and foreign policy) seem so counterintuitive that they beg the conspiracy theory that he's actually bent on destroying the country so that he can attempt to rebuild it using his own ideological template. In the absence of coherent explanations for some of his policies, conspiracy theories fill the vacuum. I haven't heard any of the top talk show hosts (minus perhaps Glenn Beck) suggest that he's actually out to destroy the country, but that it seems like he might be taking that course.

I can say the same thing about Trickle down economics. I lived through Reagan, Bush 41, and Bush 43. It never trickled down to me. The rich got richer and the working class got poorer. To be bi-partisan about this, Clinton too, let the banks start doing those sub-prime home loans, which totally destroyed what FDR and the New Deal had put into place to keep that sort of thing from ever happening again. Both sides have more than enough blame to go around. That's what makes the elections such a pain, who can you really trust?? Both sides will say whatever they have to say to get elected. Remember the biggest oxymoron in America is "Honest Politician".

I think the difference today is that there are many concurrent instances of counterintuitive policy in play. While many didn't and still don't subscribe to "trickle-down" economics, more believe that putting a moratorium on oil drilling in the gulf in the current economy is needlessly counterproductive, and embracing our traditional enemies while chilling relationships with heritage allies hasn't resulted in improved conditions.

Similarly, proposals to try war criminals in civil courts, conducting a Presidency in a vindictively partisan manner and making unfounded or demonstrably false claims about border security and an already unpopular health care plan passed in the dead of night to avoid the results of an election aren't garnering support from a majority of the country. Individually, any one of these issues would be controversial. Taken together, they invite reliance on conspiracy theory as a more comforting option to the cold reality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom