• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RDS ads in Boston

I was spinning the dial driving through Boston over the weekend and noticed many of the Boston commercial radio stations have started adding in sponsored ads through their RDS. I know some stations have done it here or there over the years, but it seems like all of a sudden a bunch of them just started implementing this tactic. The same for a few stations in Portland and Southern NH.

Any one else notice this? What do we think of this tactic? I personally don't mind it but I think it shouldn't replace song info and or station IDs.

iHeart and Audacy both implement ads via RDS during commercial breaks - iHeart being particularly notorious. However, song info takes top priority with RDS. Both iHeart and Audacy include the station branding somewhere in their RDS.

For the last few weeks I have noticed iHeart doing it on WZLX and en Español on WZRM.
All I have seen so far is a phone # for a lawyer.

I was spinning the dial driving through Boston over the weekend and noticed many of the Boston commercial radio stations have started adding in sponsored ads through their RDS. I know some stations have done it here or there over the years, but it seems like all of a sudden a bunch of them just started implementing this tactic. The same for a few stations in Portland and Southern NH.

Any one else notice this? What do we think of this tactic? I personally don't mind it but I think it shouldn't replace song info and or station IDs.

Softrock 106.5 and Jammin 107.7 New London, CT have/had/do currently sell RDS ads.

A station I do afternoons at in Laramie, WY does (the station also scrolls EAS alert messages when they come up and other details)

I've seen it happen a few times before on my local stations, and SiriusXM does this on the channels that support ads, like the NFL channel. Honestly, if it enhances my experience, I'm okay with it, as so long as my ability to see the song title is not affected, and I can receive alerts as well.
iHeart and Audacy both implement ads via RDS during commercial breaks - iHeart being particularly notorious. However, song info takes top priority with RDS. Both iHeart and Audacy include the station branding somewhere in their RDS.
Yup!
A station I do afternoons at in Laramie, WY does
KLMI?

Also, I wanted to point out that if you have a radio that can receive multiple lines of RDS, I wonder what possibilities could pan out here? Some of you, SRG and Sphere in particular, have seen my truck radio, and I bet you could probably stick traffic info on that second line, or the current weather conditions, or possibly even an ad, like this:
Shape of You - Ed Sheeran on 95.9 WATD
See how Gillette can help you get the best shave of your life!
Adult Contemporary
95.9 - Soft Shore Radio 95.9.

Here's an example. Notice how on 88.3 the truck reads out the radio-text at first, but then switches to a two-line setup:

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom