• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RCI Sackville Site

K

kenglish

OK, friends from the North....
I hear that they are dismantling the antennas at Sackville this week.
Can anybody in that area confirm it, maybe with some photos?

They'd be some pretty sad pix :(. We used to pass that site quite a bit, between our drives (and train rides) from/to Halifax and my home turf, here in eastern Ontario.

~BG

Is this really happening? The last I had heard, the site was still being used to broadcast Radio Nord Quebec, the only Canadian radio service available in parts of Northern Quebec.

That service is being switched to a bunch of low powered FM's. (50 watts all). I've heard some are very unhappy about that as many residents will go on long distance (and long time) hunting trips and take battery powered shortwave radios with them.

mimo said:
That service is being switched to a bunch of low powered FM's. (50 watts all). I've heard some are very unhappy about that as many residents will go on long distance (and long time) hunting trips and take battery powered shortwave radios with them.

A good percentage of the aboriginal folks up north, are indeed semi-nomadic, spending months away from their established permanent settlements. They will not be best served, by CBC's new catch all phrase.

Regarding the current status of Sackville, not only is CBC North Quebec still operating on 9625, but I've just finished listening to a good signal from KBS (in Korean) on 9650 kHz. I'm presuming the signal is (still) out of Sackville.

~BG

Assuming that the HFCC A-2012 Schedules are accurate, and there appears to be no listings for them on the B-2012, it looks like the final transmissions from both Radio Canada International's Sackville site, and Radio Netherlands Worldwide's Bonaire site, will be early tomorrow morning.
Sad to see these fine facilities go silent.

kenglish said:
Assuming that the HFCC A-2012 Schedules are accurate, and there appears to be no listings for them on the B-2012, it looks like the final transmissions from both Radio Canada International's Sackville site, and Radio Netherlands Worldwide's Bonaire site, will be early tomorrow morning.
Sad to see these fine facilities go silent.

As of Saturday Nov. 3rd, though short-wave.info no longer has Sackville listed in their data base,...I'm currently listening to the CBC on 9625 kHz.

~BG

Tincap said:
mimo said:

A good percentage of the aboriginal folks up north, are indeed semi-nomadic, spending months away from their established permanent settlements. They will not be best served, by CBC's new catch all phrase.

Not like any CBC brass in Toronto get that. Or care.

And I'm taking that the CBC Northern Quebec Service doesn't do internet radio like RCI now does.

Radio1360 said:
And I'm taking that the CBC Northern Quebec Service doesn't do internet radio like RCI now does.

CBC Nord Quebec does have its feed available online like all the other Radio One stations; however, I doubt very many of their listeners have access to high-speed Internet. Remote areas like that tend to be limited to either dial-up or very expensive satellite hookups. Shortwave or Mediumwave is likely still the most efficient means of reaching a large number of people spread out in Northern Quebec.

Of course, anyone up there who has satellite radio can get CBC Radio, although not the Nord Quebec programme. That might be the best bet for anyone who isn't within range of the new FM transmitters.

M.J. said:
Of course, anyone up there who has satellite radio can get CBC Radio, although not the Nord Quebec programme. That might be the best bet for anyone who isn't within range of the new FM transmitters.

That isn’t quite true. CBC Radio One is one of the few channels that is on Sirius but not on XM. And I’m very disappointed because I had an aftermarket Sirius radio in my previous car, but my new car has XM built-in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom