• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rants about News on Houston's stations

I'm sure everyone's read my big complaint about KROI News92 from a few weeks back. That was just the beginning of some of the problems I see with the quality of newsreaders and reporters at the three stations that produce news.

This rant is aimed solely the other two stations that produce news: KUHF and KTRH.

KUHF: As much as I love this station and the quality of news they produce on a daily basis, two of their reporters make it very hard to listen at times -- Laura Isensee and Gail Delaughter.

I really liked Gail Delaughter back when she was on the court beat at KTRH back in the day. Can barely stand listening to her now. She and Ms. Isensee have the same problem -- they have mistaken speaking sloooowly for "conversational" news reporting. It's to the point, where at times their reporting seems to speak "down" at the listener instead of speaking "to" the listener.

I don't notice this particular trait among the other reporters at the station.

The other complaint I have is with the overnight news anchors at KTRH (which, truth be told, are the only anchors I hear on my way into work late at night).

Both of them, Eric Sharpe and Shelley Fox, are just bad.

Does Eric Sharpe even bother use scripts when he's reading his newscasts at the top and bottom of the hour? I have never heard so many flubs, stumbles, umms and ahhs in a 3-minutes newscast than what comes out of his mouth. In the several months I've been listening, I don't think I've ever heard him successfully get through an entire newscast without a stumbling over a story.

Shelley Fox (weekend overnights) is somewhat better, but still stumbles and bumbles her way through the news. What really turned me off was a couple weeks ago when she mispronounced the name of a certain National Park in California threatened by wildfire. During both hits (at 11pm and 11:30pm) she pronounced it "YOH-sem-ITE" park instead of "YOH-sem-uh-TEE." Really? Yosemite has been around for what, about 100 years, and you don't know how to pronounce it? And you're working professionally in the media. Really?

Surely I can't be the only one that notices this and feels that way.

Gee, did I not read where Clear Channel has centralized news origination from hub stations...are the KTRH overnight anchors (probably low-paid interns) coming to us from San Antonio or Atlanta and are also heard on a half-dozen other stations in various markets? I don't listen so I don't know...

KTRH does not produce news. It just reads quotes from the Chronicle or the AP.

KPFT's Local News @ 4:00 is the only other radio news program in Houston.

Shelley Fox

I can occasionally pick up KTRH and last night I was listening and noticed that Shelley Fox had several long pauses between sentences when she was reading the news.

That, and I believe KTRH provides 'news' on the half hour afternoons on KLVI in Beaumont.

Harold Mann is still local Stan.......but I have not listened to KLVI day in a while so have they changed to someone else???

BTW Master control ops is pretty much like that for the TV groups like Nexstar, Sinclair and I bet Gannett will do same in near future....(my contacts at 12 have not said anything on that)

BTW Master control ops is pretty much like that for the TV groups like Nexstar, Sinclair and I bet Gannett will do same in near future....(my contacts at 12 have not said anything on that)

Gannett hubs all their TV Master Control ops out of either Greensboro or Jacksonville, depending on the network. I would imagine all the former London Broadcasting stations (including KBMT) will soon be controlled from one of these sites. KHOU is already partially run out of Greensboro.

I've ranted before about Shelley Fox. I need to correct myself and acknowledge that her name is spelled "Chelle" Fox. I'm 5 hours away from Houston but listen to KTRH when it drifts in. What really stands out is that Ms. Fox's stumbling, slurring and stuttering are consistent and maybe even getting worse to the point that I think there may be some underlying issues. It reminds me of a female news person at WBAP in Dallas (drawing a blank on her name) who's script reading got so bad that she finally left and is now in Houston at some station. On the other hand, these radio people who can't read a script or complete a sentence could really take some lessons from Nichole Deal at WBAP in Dallas. She has the best female radio voice I've ever heard. She never ever stumbles or stutters and her on-air confidence really shows in every broadcast. Unfortunately, she is second string and doesn't get to do very much but she really shines when she does get on air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom