• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio is "not a viable business"

Not much for anyone to worry about because even if they were to switch some of the stations to liberal talk, that format almost never does well in the ratings. Then again Soros has pretty much unlimited cash to burn, so...
And after about a year of his fully financed Hispanic group, there is really no original programming or any effort to produce the promised "less biased and neutral" news voice.

In fact, what could be considered their "biggest" station, 50,000 watt KTNQ in LA, is programming out of Las Vegas, using the same shows as Univision had but just deleverage remotely from each host's home studio in LA.

I even find that, with traditional newspapers, they'll publish mistakes in the stories on their website that are correct in their printed media. It's almost like they rush the story to their website or have them posted by interns or lower-level staff, then properly proofread and edit them before printing in their papers.
They indeed rush the story in its raw form to the websites, but it's not interns that do the work. It's the reporters themselves. That's been true across the industry since at least 2010. Getting news to the internet first and fast is top priority. The copy can be polished and grammar and typos fixed later on. We copy editors hated this transition, but the industry had the last laugh in the end -- it got rid of most of us.

So I know my post is a little late, but living in Canada I am seeing and hearing all the changes with regards to Bell.
They are laying off 4800 people but keep in mind Bell owns several ventures. They have home TV services as well as home internet and phone services. They operate several TV channels, radio stations. The Crave service. Which is a movie and tv service like Netflix. They also own The Source stores which are rebranding to Best Buy Express, and closing the head office and distribution centre. They are also closing over 100 stores. When they bought The Source (which are formerly Radio Shack stores), there was over 900 stores and now there is only around 300 stores.
Bell also partially owns Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Toronto Raptors among other sports teams and venues. The layoffs will impact people from all different divisions. Yes there are layoffs in the media division and it has been discussed here, but the layoffs will actually not impact many people that are working for the stations that are being sold.
For instance the morning show at Pure Country Kingston (which is being sold) is now going to be the morning show at Pure Country Ottawa (not being sold). Ashleigh who is the midday host at CJAY 92 Calgary (not being sold), and HTZ-FM in Saint Catherines, (being sold), will obviously not work at HTZ when the new owners take over. She is now also being heard on the Bear in Edmonton. So a lot of programming changes that are happening are for sure going to impact people unfortunately, but I think this might be good in the long run. After the sales of the stations, there will be programming changes, but all the new owners have come out and said there won't be much in the way of changes. No layoffs are planned, and the only thing will be name changes to the Move, Bounce and Pure stations as well as the one Virgin station that is being sold.
After the sale I think Bell will solidify the on air lineup, using the remaining staff. I can't see them really trimming the on air staff more. In fact some of the on air staff, at the stations being sold will still be with Bell in the future.

There are some good articles on NWbroadcasters.com about it

here is one After the big news of 45 stations being sold, most won’t face big changes - NWBroadcasters
and the other one Bell cutting 4800 jobs and selling 45 radio stations - NWBroadcasters

Back
Top Bottom