• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio host doesn't like Southern reporter's accent

They knew when they hung up this would get talked about, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

They are getting the attention they sought with zero risk.

Cheap shot, low class stunt.

How would that play if Toucher were to ridicule a hockey reporter because of the color of his skin?

And about the zero risk aspect, it wouldn't surprise me if this might influence the refs to not give the Boston team any benefit of the doubt during the series with Charlotte.

They knew when they hung up this would get talked about, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

They are getting the attention they sought with zero risk.

Has the sportswriter been heard from on this incident? I wouldn't be surprised it he was in on the whole thing and it was just as funny to him as it was to T&R and their audience. Yes, it wouldn't have worked with a black man on the other end of the line, or one with a heavy Mexican Chinese, Russian, or any other foreign accent on the line, but regional American accents are fair game. I can see some sports talker in the Southeast doing a preview of a Georgia Tech-Boston College game, getting a Boston sportswriter on the phone and then hanging up with the explanation that he can't stand hearing guys with a New England accent talk about college football. And it would get laughs.

a Low class/no class move.

Fred needs to go to Florida, where minor league hockey is a big thing... The Florida Everblades are my "hometown" team and are in the Eastern Conference finals...

Hey Fred... what about Tampa and their NHL team?

The Florida Panthers out of Metro Miami?

How about Arizona? Vegas? Nothing says NHL hockey like the desert and desert heat.

what a doooooooche

This is definitely low class and not connectable. Just what does someone's accent have to do with their sports knowledge? Everyone knows the answer to that.

And this also seems to point out a classic shortcoming of sports commentators on radio as well: a form of shock radio. Just like other pundits full of hot air and not much else this guy Toucher seems to be saying something, ala Trump, to incite the masses and not worthy of his job. Glad I don't have to listen to him. After all, the real experts in this field are from Canada and they definitely do not sound like anyone I've ever heard from BAHstun.

Miami and Tampa are poor examples because deep Southern accents are not standard in either city. Too many people from somewhere else, largely in the North and Midwest, for the drawl to be dominant. As for Arizona, does that state even have an accent? Boston was the first US team in the NHL. Bostonians sound just as convincing talking about the NHL as Canadians do.

Miami and Tampa are poor examples because deep Southern accents are not standard in either city. Too many people from somewhere else, largely in the North and Midwest, for the drawl to be dominant. As for Arizona, does that state even have an accent?

Arizona's most common accent is "national standard" (what the radio and TV industries use as their universal accent) unless of course you are talking with one of the multitudes of immigrants (American or International).

A late thought too late for a reply:

Hockey reporters, pundits and commentators today are changing from the good old days. Several females now taking positions as color commentators during games. Former players of color are becoming analysts during games and special programs (Anson Carter comes to mind quickly) and, of course there are several non-north American former players in this category as well.

Like NASCAR, Hockey is no longer a regional game.

Even in a place like Knoxville, TN, I hear more standard midwestern-ish accents than southern drawls. That's one thing that surprised me when I was contemplating moving here.

Miami and Tampa are poor examples because deep Southern accents are not standard in either city. Too many people from somewhere else, largely in the North and Midwest, for the drawl to be dominant. As for Arizona, does that state even have an accent? Boston was the first US team in the NHL. Bostonians sound just as convincing talking about the NHL as Canadians do.

They did a similar thing to Rick Pitino years ago. When the UL coach was plugging a book. It isn't a surprise.
Fred's parents are residing in the south and he spent 4 years in central Fla and many years in Ga. He knows accents.

Arizona's most common accent is "national standard" (what the radio and TV industries use as their universal accent) unless of course you are talking with one of the multitudes of immigrants (American or International).

That's been true since the '70s, but before that, there was a mild "southwestern drawl" that many Anglo natives had. The best example that I can think of that people today can view is old Barry Goldwater campaign speeches from 1964. I remember hearing this a lot when I lived with my grandparents for a few months in '64, and went to school in Peoria. Most of the kids had this mild drawl that pretty much doesn't exist today.

I've always thought the reason southerners like hockey is because it's similar to NASCAR, with players crashing into each other rather than cars.

You mean like (American) football, basketball, soccer, water polo, rugby, Aussie Rules, boxing, wrestling, arm wrestling, short track skating, lacrosse, baseball et. al.?

You mean like (American) football, basketball, soccer, water polo, rugby, Aussie Rules, boxing, wrestling, arm wrestling, short track skating, lacrosse, baseball et. al.?

Most of those sports are linear. Hockey is not linear. Soccer is similar but its on foot, not skates. Polo is on horses. Skates are much faster, more like cars. You watch hockey players skate around the rink, and it's a lot like cars going around a track, especially when they crash.

I've always thought the reason southerners like hockey is because it's similar to NASCAR, with players crashing into each other rather than cars.

That's like the idea that the Ducks had when they had KWIZ in Santa Ana broadcast their games in Spanish back around 1992... they thought that Hispanics would see hockey to be "soccer with weapons" and that they would create a huge fan base instantly.

Didn't work quite that way.

How many Hispanics actually play hockey?

None that I can recall directly from the nations considered "Hispanic" have made it to the NHL but there have been a few US-born players of Hispanic descent in the sport. Scott Gomez, who had a long career with the New Jersey Devils and several other clubs, was of Mexican descent, while Al Montoya, a goalie with several teams, is a Cuban-American. The list is small, though. Access to ice is the obvious problem in the Caribbean countries and Central America, as it is in the cities of the South and Southwest in the US. Hockey is also an expensive sport for children to participate in, due to high equipment and insurance/liability costs, which has made it largely a white, suburban sport in this country. The NHL's makeup is over 95 percent (maybe more) white, primarily from Canada, the US and Europe, primarily Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Germany.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom