• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Dial to be Shaken Up CBS Stations to be Sold

What was the last year Group W was used in the branding of WBZ? How old would a current listener have to be to have any warm-and-fuzzy memories of WBZ as a Group W station? I swear, these threads sometimes make me ashamed to be a Baby Boomer.

BTW, as a young AM listener, I actually thought "Group W" was an association of stations with "W" as the first letter in their calls, and that there must be a "Group K" for all those stations out west to belong to!

Hmmm, yeah, alright, maybe you should indeed be ashamed to be a Baby Boomer, since you come across as having little-to-no regard for "traditional" (read, "warm-and-fuzzy") radio as we knew/loved it before consolidation screwed it up to the fare-thee-well state it's in today.

"Group W's not coming back", I believe you wrote in another post. I'll bet you're happy about that. Does it make you feel good?

Hmmm, yeah, alright, maybe you should indeed be ashamed to be a Baby Boomer, since you come across as having little-to-no regard for "traditional" (read, "warm-and-fuzzy") radio as we knew/loved it before consolidation screwed it up to the fare-thee-well state it's in today.

"Group W's not coming back", I believe you wrote in another post. I'll bet you're happy about that. Does it make you feel good?

Doesn't make me feel anything. I was a big WBZ fan as a kid (DeSuze, Maynard, Dunn, Landry, Bradley, Summer -- that was the lineup) and even though the station transitioned from Top 40 to MOR to news-talk, I would still listen and liked what I heard. WBZ had personality in spades. But as the Monkees sang, that was then, this is now. Radio is done differently -- music radio is about the music in long sweeps with as little human intervention as possible. Do I love it? No. But I accept that it's what today's IN THE MARKETABLE DEMOGRAPHIC listener wants to hear, and I'm not going to waste pixels, bits, electrons, whatever suggesting that something like two-decades-old branding would mean anything to that listener. A lot of Baby Boomers keep flaying that moribund equine on this forum and others, but Group W as a brand is about as likely to come back as Carl DeSuze, Dave Maynard and Ron Landry are, God rest their souls.

Would I start listening to CHR again if the presentation was like WBZ's in 1966, or WRKO's in 1969, or WVBF's in 1975? No, no, and no -- the music played on CHR stations today is torture to my ears. I wouldn't listen to it if Arnie Ginsburg himself was behind the mic. Today, my terrestrial radio listening is generally classic hits, classic rock, NPR and sports talk/play-by-play. I couldn't tell you the names of any of the jocks on the music stations I listen to, and I don't care who they are because they're only there to read promos and weather and whatever else is on the little cards. Like the modern CHR listener, I'm now in it strictly for the music and I'm not going to waste my time or yours moaning about how such and such a station ought to play eight or nine songs an hour with a DJ prattling on for three minutes at a time trying to be your best friend, no matter how much I loved that kind of radio back in the day.

I sure hope Group W brings back WBZA in Springfield ;-D. Carl DeSuze used to get all excited saying "WBZ Boston, WBZA Springfield...the bright exciting sound of Westinghouse Broadcasting for New England". I think they had to take WBZA dark so they could buy 1010 WINS, but the rules have changed now.

Why would they flip AMP? Entercom does not have anything that competes with it...and it would be a good demographic for their older male oriented cluster.

(And no, Oldies is not coming back...)

BMX IMO sucks!

What I would flip ODS to would be a true rhythmic/urban AC (heavy on the jams current and old school) but NO HARD RAP!

Hard rap is defined as basically anything by DRake or tracks with four letter words that do NOT have a radio friendly BEEP free version.

What I would flip ODS to would be a true rhythmic/urban AC (heavy on the jams current and old school) but NO HARD RAP!

Well, if CBS (or the new owners) are walking around wondering what to do with 104.1 in Boston, I'll send them your way. ;-)

Now, is this a "business plan"...or is this just what you would like to hear on the radio?

BMX IMO sucks!

Hard rap is defined as basically anything by DRake or tracks with four letter words that do NOT have a radio friendly BEEP free version.

Especially the morning show host on BMX. Such a hack.

BMX IMO sucks!

totally agree amp and bmx are off limits on my car radio

IMHO, Mix 104.1 has been quite stable and consistent through it's 20 plus years on the air. Why mess with perfection?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom