• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio 961 getting blown up?

Hey All -

I am hearing rumors in the "consulting" world that Radio 961 is going to change formats. I knew they had lackluster ratings however the whole market does. Not sure what format they would try. Maybe they would do AC or Hot AC? I still talk to station peeps who think iHeart should not have dropped Kiss for WNCB - I mean, they are stuck at half the share of QDR. (Same place Kiss was) - Or, maybe they move KIX 102.9 over and tighten up the playlist - add some more hits from the late 80s?

-Walter

Hey All -

I am hearing rumors in the "consulting" world that Radio 961 is going to change formats. I knew they had lackluster ratings however the whole market does. Not sure what format they would try. Maybe they would do AC or Hot AC? I still talk to station peeps who think iHeart should not have dropped Kiss for WNCB - I mean, they are stuck at half the share of QDR. (Same place Kiss was) - Or, maybe they move KIX 102.9 over and tighten up the playlist - add some more hits from the late 80s?

-Walter

Also just heard that they had Bill Jordan walking around the building this week...! Oldies maybe? He must be 10 years older than me.

Can we wish for a return to 96rock?

Fat chance, I know...

Radio-X

Bah!

Can we wish for a return to 96rock?

Fat chance, I know...

Radio-X

Yeah, sadly that won't happen - PPM killed any chance of a full market FM rock station in RDU. With only 9 true full market singles in the market - RDU is the best it will ever get. I really wonder if Radio 961 will flip - if they do they better dump a lot of marketing dollars into the market or they have no shot - they'll be just like NCB against QDR.

WNCB

Does anyone listen to WNCB?

According to the latest data from Nielsen, not really... Their 12+ share is 3.8 share, which is 2 share points less than QDR. Radio 96.1 is a 3.8 share... If Curtis Media goes AC, I am predicting either an Epic Flop or just more mess in an already messy media market... Based on the research I know - there really isn't a major whole in the market.... But, KIX is doing a 3.6 share with a 1700 watt / 620 foot HAAT signal... Move that to Radio 96.1 and Put a Rocker on 102.9 - They can compete with 95x on the Male side - Get KIX on a good full market signal - they won't take from QDR and Pulse with that - but sh*t, with an AC or Hot AC - they'll take from RAL, QDR, PLW, DCG - and all that will happen is more compression in ratings... not smart. I wouldn't doubt this was a decision made in a bubble if it happens...

The alternative translator is doing surprisingly good for a translator (rating wise). Not sure active rock would do good but what about alternative? After all, Curtis Media isn't a iheart or cumulus. They could do a alternative/active hybrid where it's alternative but leans harder.

The alternative translator is doing surprisingly good for a translator (rating wise). Not sure active rock would do good but what about alternative? After all, Curtis Media isn't a iheart or cumulus. They could do a alternative/active hybrid where it's alternative but leans harder.

That would mean that they are willing to take risks. I don't think they have that in them...

I thought QDR was doing better than that. 3.8 isn't that bad considering it's not a unique format.

The combined country share is less than QDR's peak share when it was the only country in the market... All it did was create more reasons to punch across the dial. Same stuff will happen with an AC split... the Raleigh-Durham market has such an opportunity to put on good compelling radio but it continues to put on lack luster PPM afraid formats.

Hey All -

-Walter

You Can't Be serious?? Radio96.1 is doing fine.

Radio96.1 is a variety Hits station. It's been #2 25-54 for 4 years now. It's doing well.

The combined country share is less than QDR's peak share when it was the only country in the market... All it did was create more reasons to punch across the dial. Same stuff will happen with an AC split... the Raleigh-Durham market has such an opportunity to put on good compelling radio but it continues to put on lack luster PPM afraid formats.
QDR has really taken a hit 12-plus.

I Know You Guys speculating and just having

A fun discussion but WQDR will always be number one especially the leader in Raleigh-Durham market.

Again ... 6+ and 12+ numbers are pretty much meaningless. That's why they're released to the general public for free.

Not in the latest 12-plus numbers it's not.

It is the #1 biller in the market and consistently in the top 3 or 4 in 25-54 listening. That is all that matters.

QDR has really taken a hit 12-plus.

As Frank said, don't pay any atttention to 12+ numbers; the stations and advertisers definitely do not.

And don't make judgements based on a single 28-day book in a smaller PPM market; the stations and advertisers definitely do not.

As Frank said, don't pay any atttention to 12+ numbers; the stations and advertisers definitely do not.

And don't make judgements based on a single 28-day book in a smaller PPM market; the stations and advertisers definitely do not.
WQDR has been going down for a while.

And we have to use those numbers because those are all we have until someone provides us with something better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom