• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RAD Radio returns to Sacramento

Is anyone surprised by this move?

After ending a 24 year run at Audacy Rock “98 Rock” KRXQ Sacramento in June, the Rob, Anybody, and Dawn Show will return to the market in a partnership with Lotus Coommunications.

Host Rob Williams’ Williams Broadcasting Incorporated will begin programming 890 KVMX Olivehurst/104.7 K284CM Sacramento on Monday, November 13 as “RAD Radio“. The Rob, Anybody, and Dawn Show will air live in mornings with replays in afternoons and overnights, while best-of segments will run in middays and evenings.

KVMX/K284CM is currently part of Lotus’ Spanish Ranchera simulcast “La Ranchera” along with 92.1 KVMX-FM Placerville and 105.5 KSAC Dunnigan.

The Rob, Anybody and Dawn Show also airs on Lotus’ 104.5 KDOT Reno NV.

After ending a 24 year run at Audacy Rock “98 Rock” KRXQ Sacramento in June, the Rob, Anybody, and Dawn Show will return to the market in a partnership with Lotus Coommunications.

Host Rob Williams’ Williams Broadcasting Incorporated will begin programming 890 KVMX Olivehurst/104.7 K284CM Sacramento on Monday, November 13 as “RAD Radio“. The Rob, Anybody, and Dawn Show will air live in mornings with replays in afternoons and overnights, while best-of segments will run in middays and evenings.

KVMX/K284CM is currently part of Lotus’ Spanish Ranchera simulcast “La Ranchera” along with 92.1 KVMX-FM Placerville and 105.5 KSAC Dunnigan.

Not really surprised by this. I think I called this out a while back as a possibility. Only surprise is the 24/7 part.

an AM station (ask most people under the age of 40 if they know what AM radio is sometime....most don't know) and a 250w FM translator the only covers the Sac downtown area. That'll be tough to build any kind of audience with. I wish them luck.

I think the bigger surprise for me is the lack of 105.5 or 92.1 to the simulcast…I’m assuming most of RAD’s listeners are off to the east and not in the city proper.

…and the 24/7 part. That doesn’t sound terribly smart and somewhat self-assured. It doesn’t get tried out much. Last folks who did that was Drake Hall in Memphis on a FrankenFM…and that eventually went to a rock format outside of the dayparts.

At least something different is being tried in the market. I applaud them for that. IIRC 93.7 (when it was KHWD) had Howard Stern in the morning and some kind of younger leaning yak yak during the rest of the day also. That was eventually dropped for rock in the other day parts too.

an AM station (ask most people under the age of 40 if they know what AM radio is sometime....most don't know) and a 250w FM translator the only covers the Sac downtown area. That'll be tough to build any kind of audience with. I wish them luck.
That translator gets out way better than one might expect. No building penetration, but you hear it in a car for 30 or 40 miles to the East. Probably because of the way the terrain goes uphill & keeps line-of-sight to downtown.

Dave B.

That translator gets out way better than one might expect. No building penetration, but you hear it in a car for 30 or 40 miles to the East. Probably because of the way the terrain goes uphill & keeps line-of-sight to downtown.

Dave B.
Can confirm this: It’s a solid signal here in Amador County in my car from Ione all the way up Hwy 88 nearly until Silver Lake.

In Roseville, same signal strength using the same car radio, but bleed over from KAHI’s translator in Auburn.

So yeah, definitely not full class A coverage, but definitely better than the average 250w translator at 400’ will perform. Still don’t think it’s enough with the AM to make a dent in the ratings…

The two sports talk stations in Sac seem to rely on their AM coverage primarily. Their only FM presence is two seperate HD-2 simulcasts. 890 is 10k watts.

Back
Top Bottom