• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

R.I.P. Swing 1270 - to flip to CBS Sports Radio

Call me someone who lives in the past, but there's no excuse for these small stations - especially those on AM - to either be put out to pasture or be reelgated to these 'cookie cutter' formats!

I started at WHLD working for Earle C. Hull in 1969. It's studios we're in the "..luxurious Parkway Motor Hotel..accross from the Roaring Rapids of the Niagara River"

My first words on commercial radio...

So sad that 1270's signal is literally going to be a translator. How many sports outlets does Buffalo need?

Jeff Laurence said:
I started at WHLD working for Earle C. Hull in 1969. It's studios we're in the "..luxurious Parkway Motor Hotel..accross from the Roaring Rapids of the Niagara River"

My first words on commercial radio...
Sounds like a great memory!

So sad that 1270's signal is literally going to be a translator. How many sports outlets does Buffalo need?
My point exactly! Unless they're going to offer something unique, they'll go nowhere. Of course these mega-broadcasters are hell bent on offering these 'cookie-cutter' formats. I for one believe too many of the medium and smaller AMs are way, way overvalued! Many of them should be going for less than half if not more than the money they're changing hands for! I also think said facilities could be a voice for alternative/specialty broadcasters. I feel that sources other than or in addition to advertising should be considered for revenue on such facilities.

This is a tragedy as it was standards done right.

Can they still hear the Toronto station at 740 even during the day, and does that station still air a talk show in the middle of the day?

vchimpanzee said:
This is a tragedy as it was standards done right.

Can they still hear the Toronto station at 740 even during the day, and does that station still air a talk show in the middle of the day?

Don't know about the talk show, but yes, 740 blasts into Buffalo 24/7.

klutch00 said:
My point exactly! Unless they're going to offer something unique, they'll go nowhere. Of course these mega-broadcasters are hell bent on offering these 'cookie-cutter' formats. I for one believe too many of the medium and smaller AMs are way, way overvalued! Many of them should be going for less than half if not more than the money they're changing hands for! I also think said facilities could be a voice for alternative/specialty broadcasters. I feel that sources other than or in addition to advertising should be considered for revenue on such facilities.

This link says it all.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130114/CITYANDREGION/130119532/1003

RBW said:
klutch00 said:

This link says it all.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130114/CITYANDREGION/130119532/1003

Sure does.

What it says is that things are bad enough in AM radio these days that Cumulus, a large commercial broadcaster, was willing to gross only $48,000 a year for a while. That means that when it did the deal, it was the best deal out there...they were unlikely to make more under any other scenario.

A family of four might be able to get by on $48,000 a year. But they'd never be comfortable or worry-free. Imagine trying to run a business on it.

They most make money clearing network commercials. There are 3 sports stations in Charlotte too. I'd say Buffalo is more sports oriented than Charlotte is.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom