• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

QUICK, EASY, NO-GEEKS-NECESSARY INTERNET NTR

Holland Cooke

Inactive
Inactive User
Offer listeners and advertisers The WXXX.com Deal-of-the-Day

Sell a package which includes:
1.) an online coupon,
2.) mention in on-air promos,
3.) an advertorial blurb and link in the daily news update you E-blast to opt-ins; and
4.) ROS spots (which plug Deal-of-the-Day).

But…
It’ll be just-another-ad-package unless what-advertisers-are-offering is a-steal-of-a-deal.
  • Tip: Research demonstrates that “BUY ONE, GET-ONE-FREE” really resonates.
  • Various reports tell us that canny consumers are now hoarding when they spot a great deal on staples like laundry detergent, etc. What are local retailers offering that you can come-right-out-and-tell listeners to “STOCK UP!” on?

Deals THAT attractive will cut-through the mental clutter with smart shoppers, many of whom are high-TSL in-car listeners.

Tips:
  • Train folks to tune-in at a fixed time each weekday morning to hear today’s Deal-of-the-Day revealed. In consultant-speak, doing to will “create a benchmark” and help “horizontal maintenance,” both of Arbitron value.
  • Convey urgency and add value to the proposition by emphasizing “TODAY ONLY, AT WXXX DOT COM!” Getting listeners to bookmark your site is HUGELY valuable.

The online coupon can be as simple as coupons that are “Print this page” or PDF downloads. Sending listeners into stores with something-they-printed-out-from your web site sends retailers a powerful message, and prompts advertisers to think of radio as qualified for non-radio dollars.

Source: My August newsletter.

HC
www.HollandCooke.com

Unless you’re giving away a million dollars or a new car this will most likely fail for advertisers. Promo’s and an ROS schedule all sounds like another package and more hype. Been there don't that. Will stations sell this package? Yes. Will advertisers be happy? No. If you’re going through the trouble of selling an advertiser why not sell a great ad schedule with an effective frequency with compelling copy. Training listeners to hear the coupon of the day is from the past. This is why so many advertisers say “I tried radio and it didn’t work” Have you ever heard that? In 18 years of radio ad sales I heard that all the time.

Instead of thinking how can we sell more. Try thinking how can I help my advertiser sell more products. Radio sales people are trained to sell our inventory and not the clients we call on. It should be the other way around. Read Roy Williams. Read The 33 Ruthless Rules of Local Advertising by Corbet. Will you agree with everything? No. But you’ll be better armed with the proper skill sets to actually help your advertisers. And that's how you'll make money!

I should clarify...

RE "Unless you’re giving away a million dollars or a new car this will most likely fail for advertisers."

When I said:
Holland Cooke said:
It’ll be just-another-ad-package unless what-advertisers-are-offering is a-steal-of-a-deal.

I MEANT to say...
"It’ll be just-another-ad-package unless what-advertisers-are-offering is a-steal-of-a-deal."

NOT CARS...which aren't everyday purchases.
Think staples, things people buy every day.
Even since I posted-what-I-posted, there's evidence that challenged consumers are hoarding when they spot a bargain.

Goal? Same as on-air programming: "Horizontal maintenance," which, online means "bookmarking."
Habituate listeners to regard the-station's-web-site as more-than-just-a-web-site-about-a-radio-station.

Agreed, Holland!

One of the biggest traffic generators for one of clients is a half price coupon for <whatever>. They get everything from spa visits to ski trips, but the idea seems to work best for restaurants. Pick a day that the new offer goes into effect and train the listeners to listen for it.

"Tuesday at noon, pick up half price deals for name of restaurant with quick description and info - we have a limited number of $50 gift certificates going for only $25 at WXXX dot com Tuesday at 12 noon!"

CJ
bigsticksbroadcasting.com

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom