• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question For David Eduardo

Let me try again,

Are there any good US stations that currently play latin classic hits of the late 60's and early 70's? Chile, Peru, Argentina, or even Spain had some beautiful songs that were released in this time frame. Groups & singers like Tormenta, Leo Dan, Marisol, Los Destellos, Peret, Los Iracundos. Jose Feliciano and many others had big songs in the late 60's and early 70's.

I am looking for a station that just plays latin oldies..not a mix of currents and oldies. Hopefully they stream online too.

Any feedback would be great.

oldies76 said:
Let me try again,

Are there any good US stations that currently play latin classic hits of the late 60's and early 70's?

No, none that pay what you think are classic hits... closest is WCMQ FM Miami, but it would not play a number of the artists you mention. Los Destellos is/was a cumbia / trapical group known only in Perú, so perhaps you are looking for something other than a pop station.

Nobody plays just late sixties early seventies, as the field is too limited...

DavidEduardo said:
closest is WCMQ FM Miami, but it would not play a number of the artists you mention. Los Destellos is/was a cumbia / trapical group known only in Perú, so perhaps you are looking for something other than a pop station.

Nobody plays just late sixties early seventies, as the field is too limited...

WCMQ is good, but they play too many recents (80's & 90's). Something along the lines of 93.7 "La Inolvidable", Lima Peru is what I'm looking for...The problem is that "Inolvidable" does not stream.

Check this out: http://www.adonde.com/peruhoy/radios_lima.htm

It's a nice link to radio streams in Lima, Peru

I've heard this station while visiting Lima in 2006 and it's fabulous! Wish there was something like that in the USA, even if it's AM.

88.9 "Radio Felicidad" is good too and they actually stream.

oldies76 said:
WCMQ is good, but they play too many recents (80's & 90's). Something along the lines of 93.7 "La Inolvidable", Lima Peru is what I'm looking for...The problem is that "Inolvidable" does not stream.

One issue is that stations in Lima in the '65-'75 period played a lot of stuff that was not heard elsewhere; Lima did not even have the equivalent of a Top 40 station until the early 70's, in fact. Even places like Santiago and Bogotá had no Top 40 at the time, so songs were played on programs on variety stations that had a pop segment. Even huge Buenos Aires had only an AM from Uruguay (Radio Colonia 550 AM) that played pop and the beginning of rock in Spanish in those years.

So there was no uniformity of playlists and what was heard in Lima might be 100% different from XERC or XEJP or XEDF or XEOY in Mexico City (or South America's first Top 40, which was in much smaller Quito).

WCMQ is, of course, mainly targeting Cuban heritage listeners although they have broadened to appeal to others from the Caribbean basin. If you hear any oldies in the US, it will be like Recuerdo (network) out of LA, with late 60's to 2000's and a blend of genres, not just pop and ballads.

oldies76 said:
88.9 "Radio Felicidad" is good too and they actually stream.

I am familiar with that station. It's principal job seems to be promoting RPP, the all news network on FM (it used to be AM only, starting with 740 AM in Lima)- It has very few commercials, so it is kind of nice to listen to, except for the non-pop Peruvian songs. But the music is very mid to late 70's when I listen... and very, very mainstream.

Of course, RPP does research its stations (with a US research company), so the playlist is fairly tight.

DavidEduardo said:
so the playlist is fairly tight.

Even in Peru? geez....must be some K-Earth influence down there.... :D

Thanks for your info, by the way. I'll keep checking out those stations, every so often.

oldies76 said:
DavidEduardo said:
so the playlist is fairly tight.

Even in Peru? geez....must be some K-Earth influence down there.... :D

Thanks for your info, by the way. I'll keep checking out those stations, every so often.

RPP has used a CA based research company for music testing for quite a few years. The success that testing brought them has kept them doing several projects a year... the group literally jumped into the first places for each music format after testing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom