• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Question about obscene content or cursing on the air.

Have you ever heard of a station losing their license for obscene content or cursing on the air?
I've heard that the first fine is something like 10,000 (might be less) but would the fcc pull your license?

The landmark case is the WBAI 7 Dirty Words story, where NYC radio station WBAI broadcast the George Carlin comedy bit in the middle of the afternoon. Someone filed a complaint to the FCC, the station was cited, argued and appealed the case, and they were not fined nor did they lose their license:

It really takes a lot for the FCC to revoke a station's license.

Howard Stern was fined for obscenity. But the station never lost their license.

Last edited:
Stations used to broadcast the album version of Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner" with the "funky shit goin' down in the city" line, but I haven't heard it that way in recent years. The F.C.C. must have cracked down on that, probably right after the "wardrobe malfunction."

Okay, the above was censored. I didn't post it that way. "Crap" is not in the song.

Lately the courts have been ruling in favor of radio stations in obscenity cases. The Supreme Court ruled that the FCC rules are vague and capricious. They asked that the FCC refine their rules. So far I haven't seen any refined rules.

Lately the courts have been ruling in favor of radio stations in obscenity cases. The Supreme Court ruled that the FCC rules are vague and capricious. They asked that the FCC refine their rules. So far I haven't seen any refined rules.

I remember some moms calling my station (at the time) to bitch about me using the word "crotch" in stories about Michael Jackson back then (early '90s). But "crotch" isn't a dirty word, and my then-boss supposedly also used it in a similar story about him the next day. But there was no backlash that I remember. Seemed like (to me) that station management was FAR more squeamish about crap like that (and I actually used the word "crap" that time) than the F.C.C. ever was!

Back in the 70's and 80's there was what amounted to a PAC of 'Christian' followers of Anita Bryant' anti-LGBTQ teachings, that would flood the Commission with form letters, complaining about a particular network TV or radio show. The group was estimated into the hundreds of thousands in number. When E-mail became even more popular in the 90's, the followers moved to flooding the Commission and Congress-members with E-mail's. They continued even past Ms. Bryant's death.
As with most government agencies, if you want to get the attention of the Commission, get the attention of a member of Congress first. They hold the purse strings for the other agencies.

Back in the 70's and 80's there was what amounted to a PAC of 'Christian' followers of Anita Bryant' anti-LGBTQ teachings, that would flood the Commission with form letters, complaining about a particular network TV or radio show. The group was estimated into the hundreds of thousands in number. When E-mail became even more popular in the 90's, the followers moved to flooding the Commission and Congress-members with E-mail's. They continued even past Ms. Bryant's death.
As with most government agencies, if you want to get the attention of the Commission, get the attention of a member of Congress first. They hold the purse strings for the other agencies.

Don't forget the RM-2493 and the claims that Madalyn Murray O’Hair was involved.

Stations used to broadcast the album version of Steve Miller Band's "Jet Airliner" with the "funky crap goin' down in the city" line, but I haven't heard it that way in recent years. The F.C.C. must have cracked down on that, probably right after the "wardrobe malfunction."
The replacement lyric was 'funky kicks" and yes, I started hearing it again right. after the wardrobe malfunction.

The replacement lyric was 'funky kicks" and yes, I started hearing it again right. after the wardrobe malfunction.
The stations that played only the single mix (usually top 40 stations) only played the "funky kicks" version. I don't even remember an issue with the album version until the F.C.C. cracked down. They (A.O.R. stations) just played the album version, but never commented about its lyrical content on-air.

I think we should not title a thread "Question..." It really doesn't tell us what the post will be about. In our busy lives, we should know in the title what the post will deal with before deciding whether to click it. In this case "Question About Controversial Lyrics..."

The stations that played only the single mix (usually top 40 stations) only played the "funky kicks" version. I don't even remember an issue with the album version until the F.C.C. cracked down. They (A.O.R. stations) just played the album version, but never commented about its lyrical content on-air.
"Funky kicks" was on the single when it was released in 1977, IIRC. AM stations played it, while FM stations played the "funky s#!t" version. Now, classic rock stations (at least based on what I hear in Phoenix) play the single version.

I think we should not title a thread "Question..." It really doesn't tell us what the post will be about. In our busy lives, we should know in the title what the post will deal with before deciding whether to click it. In this case "Question About Controversial Lyrics..."
Oh come on ..: it was a question hence the title

No, Jet Airliner from Steve Miller was released in 1977. That Superbowl was in 2004. The single of the song distributed to radio stations intended for airplay had that edit/lyric change.

Oh come on ..: it was a question hence the title
If everyone titled their posts "question", "statement", "opinion", "news" with no further details, it'd take a long time to trawl through the forum looking for something of interest. The subject heading is so that readers know what's inside, and can choose whether to open and participate or not.

Imagine reading a news site where the headlines were just "politics", "sports" etc.

I think even a better question would be: What is considered obscene? Back in the 70's, nobody seemed to be concerned with AOR stations playing an unedited copy of Who Are You, by The Who, yet occasionally a DJ is fired for accidentally letting a swear word slip, or for saying something defending gay people.

Given today's landscape of huge numbers getting their news and information from completely un-edited, many times anomalous sources, I hope the Commission continues to have obscenity cases thrown out of court.

Personally, I find examples of something like right-wing talk show host's advocating, let alone suggesting, that another public figure be assassinated, FAR more offensive and dangerous than an occasional F-bomb. But of course, that's called 'satire', or somehow a First Amendment right, when it suits the narrative.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom