• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q997s success...

Q997 is on fire! Does anyone have the breakdown of ratings by daypart? I'm very curious how much of their success is primarily from The Bert Show or music playlists. Because musically, Q997 sounds somewhat more rhythmic than Power. Especially with a full hour mixshow during the middays. I find it strange now that whenever Power tried daily mixshows and a slightly more rhythmic playlist, their ratings would plummet. But now Q997 does this and they're now higher than any Atlanta CHR has been in MANY years.

Don't the folks at Power listen to the competition? Maybe power should add more mixshows during the week again and try a slightly more rhythmic playlist. If not, then why? One example is the current EDM song, "Do It To It" by ACRAZE. Throughout the whole month of January (this ratings book), Q997 had that song in very heavy rotation (90+ spins per week). Power plays it, maybe 30 times per week.

Then, Adele's "Easy On Me". Q997 plays an upbeat remix of that song. But Power continues to play the original AC version. Yet, Q997 still beats Power by a wide margin and drew a 6.1 share. So what's really going on over at iHeart? Musically the two stations have flip-flopped. Or is it that Atlanta listeners finally want more electronic party music on their radios? Very strange if you ask me.

What’s so strange in this case is Q99.7 is a mediocre CHR at best and always has been. iHeart knows CHR and is generally able to take down competitors or eventually match them. After all of this time, it’s surprising to me that Power can’t consistently tie or overtake Q, especially since Cumulus doesn’t have many well performing CHR’s in larger markets or a good track record of it. No matter what direction Q goes in, they seem to outperform Power more often than not.

My theory is The Bert Show is a massive factor. Power is weak in mornings and that’s a very wide spectrum that each station is on the opposite end of.

What’s so strange in this case is Q99.7 is a mediocre CHR at best and always has been. iHeart knows CHR and is generally able to take down competitors or eventually match them. After all of this time, it’s surprising to me that Power can’t consistently tie or overtake Q, especially since Cumulus doesn’t have many well performing CHR’s in larger markets or a good track record of it. No matter what direction Q goes in, they seem to outperform Power more often than not.

My theory is The Bert Show is a massive factor. Power is weak in mornings and that’s a very wide spectrum that each station is on the opposite end of.
I find it hard to not take just 1 month without a grain of salt. After all, what did Q99-7 do differently last month? We'll see if the big numbers continue. I do think Power puts itself at a disadvantage in mornings by running tracks from Jubal's live show from the day prior.

I still find Q's processing to be grating, but I seem to be in the minority.

Last edited:

And in many major markets ihearts stations do very well but not in Atlanta

I still say getting rid of Scotty K and Riley was the biggest mistake iHeart ever made during the 10 year life of Power.

Outside of The Bert Show, for a large market, outside of the Urban stations there is a lacking in long running or morning shows with any heritage in Atlanta. Maybe you could count Jenn Hobby. Just another oddity about the market.

I do see potential in Kincaid and Dallas, though. Cumulus seems to as well.

Outside of The Bert Show, for a large market, outside of the Urban stations there is a lacking in long running or morning shows with any heritage in Atlanta. Maybe you could count Jenn Hobby. Just another oddity about the market.

She's been paired with 3 different partners over the years and now is doing the show on her own, but Kristen Gates has been in mornings on The Bull since around 2007.

Kristen is such a natural and perfect for mornings on The Bull.

IMHO, there are several syndicated morning shows that iHeart can go with at Power and get fairly decent ratings. I've said this over and over and over again. Power961 should just go with something like Kidd Kraddick, Elvis Duran, Ace & TJ, Bobby Bones, etc. and call it a day. I'm just not understanding why they don't try any of these.

So the only thing I can think of is that it comes down to cost. Is Power that cheap to (not) just go with one of these morning shows? Believe it or not, there was a lot of local outcry on social media when Power pulled Elvis Duran many years ago. Plus, Bobby Bones, Ace and TJ and hell, even The Kidd Kraddick Morning Show seem to do very well on other southern market CHRs.

Now of course, I'd love to see a (local) morning show be successful at Power. But, good lord, at this point WHY NOT TRY one of these highly successful CHR syndicated shows and see what happens... At least it'll sound like they know what they're doing! Urrrggh, it just frustrates me to no end! Lol And since I'm not in the business anymore I can't get the real answer. But does anyone else think they would be better off just running one of these shows? And keep it around for a while... let Altana get used to it. Elvis Duran was already moderately successful at WWVA 105.7 and then again for a short time on Power961. Or like I said, Ace and TJ or Kidd Kraddick, Bobby Bones... something live and current. It HAS to be better than what they're trying to do now with a westcoast Morning Show on tape-delay. Lol Wow, my passion for CHR still astounds me. But come on Power. 😆

Last edited:
IMHO, there are several syndicated morning shows that iHeart can go with at Power and get fairly decent ratings. I've said this over and over and over again. Power961 should just go with something like Kidd Kraddick, Elvis Duran, Ace & TJ, Bobby Bones, etc. and call it a day. I'm just not understanding why they don't try any of these.

So the only thing I can think of is that it comes down to cost. Is Power that cheap to (not) just go with one of these morning shows? Believe it or not, there was a lot of local outcry on social media when Power pulled Elvis Duran many years ago. Plus, Bobby Bones, Ace and TJ and hell, even The Kidd Kraddick Morning Show seem to do very well on other southern market CHRs.

Now of course, I'd love to see a (local) morning show be successful at Power. But, good lord, at this point WHY NOT TRY one of these highly successful CHR syndicated shows and see what happens... At least it'll sound like they know what they're doing! Urrrggh, it just frustrates me to no end! Lol And since I'm not in the business anymore I can't get the real answer. But does anyone else think they would be better off just running one of these shows? And keep it around for a while... let Altana get used to it. Elvis Duran was already moderately successful at WWVA 105.7 and then again for a short time on Power961. Or like I said, Ace and TJ or Kidd Kraddick, Bobby Bones... something live and current. It HAS to be better than what they're trying to do now with a westcoast Morning Show on tape-delay. Lol Wow, my passion for CHR still astounds me. But come on Power. 😆
Wouldn't it cost them less to go with one of those shows? After all, Elvis Duran is an iHeart show. I don't know how the compensation structure of syndicated shows works, but I'm guessing the local station has to carry some national commercials and has other slots they can sell locally.

Slightly off the subject, Kidd Kraddick was a legend in DFW, but why is it still the Kidd Kraddick Show? He passed away in 2013. I guess it's like Dick Clark's Rockin' New Years Eve.

They tried Elvis Duran it was a disaster for them.

PK in the Morning was much better than the Jubal Show in the mornings on Power 96.1. I am sure this hurts them throughout the day. If they invest in the right live & local morning show, listeners might migrate to Power. As it stands now, they will not catch up to Q99.7 anytime soon.

PK in the Morning was much better than the Jubal Show in the mornings on Power 96.1. I am sure this hurts them throughout the day. If they invest in the right live & local morning show, listeners might migrate to Power. As it stands now, they will not catch up to Q99.7 anytime soon.
I saw iHeart TV commercials for 96.1 this weekend on Atlanta TV featuring Jubal’s morning show. I can only guess they are sticking with this lower cost route which must be making the Atlanta cluster some money. I bet there is an accountant in Texas that has figured this will make more money this quarter than trying to head on with the Burt show with an expensive local morning show that might or might not succeed after a couple of years. In publicly held corporate broadcasting, this quarter’s reported profit is more important than ratings or future profits. The "this quarter profit short slightness" out look not unique to broadcasting. If a CEO is not perceived buy shareholders as maxing out EBITDA, (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization) he / she will be out of a job within a quarter or two.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom