• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

PURE FIFTIES MAGIC

I recently discovered a pure fifties internet streaming channel. This is not a stream of only 50's rock and roll. This is not a stream of only 50's easy listening hits. This is not a stream that mixes in the early 60's tunes. This is PURE FIFTIES!! What makes this even greater is that this stream is 100% music. No ID's. No promos or commercials. This channel comes out of an European country(Netherlands?) and identifies the title and artist of each selection. It mixes in British versions of classic 50's hits. Very interesting! It's "AVRO Steenan Tijdperk 50 ies". :) Can anyone tell me more about this station? How do they stay on the air without having ads or asking for donations?

ChuckRoast said:
I recently discovered a pure fifties internet streaming channel. This is not a stream of only 50's rock and roll. This is not a stream of only 50's easy listening hits. This is not a stream that mixes in the early 60's tunes. This is PURE FIFTIES!! What makes this even greater is that this stream is 100% music. No ID's. No promos or commercials. This channel comes out of an European country(Netherlands?) and identifies the title and artist of each selection. It mixes in British versions of classic 50's hits. Very interesting! It's "AVRO Steenan Tijdperk 50 ies". :) Can anyone tell me more about this station? How do they stay on the air without having ads or asking for donations?

Thanks for the tip. Here's the URL: http://www.avro.nl/radio/programmas_a-z/het_steenen_tijdperk/

I don't understand the language, but I figured out that you need RealPlayer or WinAmp to listen.

How do they stay on the air without having ads or asking for donations?

Answer that riddle, and we can figure out how to get bands in the studio again.

Although, there is that rare station which does well to run commercials instead of a personality.

ChuckRoast said:
Apparently they play more than 50s tunes, if you can figure out how to get into it. Here is the play list from Sunday, May 3: (This may not be streaming)

Uitzending van Zondag 3 mei 2009

Eerste uur

As - Tony Sherman 3:33
Begintune Steenen Tijdperk, AVRO - 1:00
Afterglow of your love - Small Faces 3:20
Apeman - The Kinks 3:49
Alternate Title - The Monkees 2:32
Are friends electric - Tubeway Army 5:12
All over the world - Electric Light Orchestra 3:50
Are you ready - Billy Ocean 3:26
Any major dude will tell you - Steely Dan 3:50
After the glitter fades - Stevie Nicks 3:26
Albatross - Fleetwood Mac 3:90
Ashes to ashes - The 5th Dimension 3:25
Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer 2:13

Tweede uur
Arnold Layne - Pink Floyd 2:51
Begintune Steenen Tijdperk, AVRO - 0:42
Are you weepin' - Gary Wright 3:25
Cry - Johnnie Ray & The Four Lads 0:40
Als je huilt - andre van duin 3:40
Alone again or - Love 3:10
And love goes on - Earth Wind & Fire 4:30
Arthur's theme (Best that you can do) - Christopher Cross 3:49
Down among the dead man - Flash & the Pan 0:55
Across the great divide - The Band 2:49
Another band - Rainbow train 3:39
The alternative way - Anita Meyer 3:47
Advice - Sandy Coast 3:18
Atomic dog - George Clinton 0:59
All the love in the world - Consortium 2:70

"GridLeakBias", there is more than one stream emanating from AVRO. The playlist you share is not from the "AVRO 50ies" stream. I don't remember how I found it but it's 128 beautiful Kbps of all inclusive great 50's! As far as to how's it's on with not even an occasional ID maybe some rich dude from the Netherlands loves oldies. Perhaps someone who knows the language can explain the funding. I just love it the music.

Some things just require a little fooling around with to figure out. If you click the picture of Elvis, the music starts right up. No where does it say this, LOL. It IS a very high quality music service with excellent variety and pacing. Go figure! It may just be a few tandem CD players hooked up on shuffle, but the songs do overlap some, so it's probably actually programmed in some fashion. It's good!

abcparamount said:
Some things just require a little fooling around with to figure out. If you click the picture of Elvis, the music starts right up. No where does it say this, LOL. It IS a very high quality music service with excellent variety and pacing. Go figure! It may just be a few tandem CD players hooked up on shuffle, but the songs do overlap some, so it's probably actually programmed in some fashion. It's good!

I tried what you suggested and the music started. I've noticed that some of the tunes are rerecorded versions, but not many in the little time I have listened. It will be fun determining how large the playlist is.

ChuckRoast said:
"GridLeakBias", there is more than one stream emanating from AVRO. The playlist you share is not from the "AVRO 50ies" stream. I don't remember how I found it but it's 128 beautiful Kbps of all inclusive great 50's! As far as to how's it's on with not even an occasional ID maybe some rich dude from the Netherlands loves oldies. Perhaps someone who knows the language can explain the funding. I just love it the music.
Yes, I noticed what you state.

This site has two web streams - click on Elvis for 50s or the Beatles for 60s music. Beside Elvis the text reads: Listen Please Web Radio Stone Age (probably translates to Oldies in English) Non stop music from the years (of the) ’50s. Below that by the Beatles pic it’s basically the same except for the years ’60s and “with hits but (and) rare songs.” The language is Dutch, if you have any friends or neighbors who speak this language.

ChuckRoast said:

I had a chance to listen for a few hours over the weekend. This is indeed a great station for lovers of Fifties music. I do miss the "personality" (DJs). And fans of "oldies" radio might not like the mix of early '50s pop with later '50s pop/rock. But it's been a long, long time since I didn't want to turn off the radio because I just had to hear what the NEXT song would be. Great stuff!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom