• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Profile of songs peaking at #30-40 on the charts?

I always thought the lower charted singles were more regional hits but not sure if there are as many (if any) regional hits these days or a new singer by an established artist that gets some initial airplay but doesn’t catch on.

There were more regional hits when there were regional record labels. But since all of the music comes from three international conglomerates, and with music being released on international platforms, it's harder to have regional hits. In the country world, there's a song by Megan Moroney called "Tennessee Orange." I really can't see anyone outside of Tennessee liking the song. But then again, that's what people thought about "Chattahoochee" and "Oh Atlanta."

There were more regional hits when there were regional record labels. But since all of the music comes from three international conglomerates, and with music being released on international platforms, it's harder to have regional hits. In the country world, there's a song by Megan Moroney called "Tennessee Orange." I really can't see anyone outside of Tennessee liking the song. But then again, that's what people thought about "Chattahoochee" and "Oh Atlanta."
"Tennessee Orange" is just outside the top 20 and still has its bullet. From what I've read, the big push on Moroney is still to come, so I wouldn't be surprised if this song is top 10 by mid-May. The SEC is as close to an NFL-caliber national brand as college football has. Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss: Put any of them on CBS on a Saturday night and they'll get eyeballs from every corner of the country.

Anyway, the subject matter of "Tennessee Orange" is pretty much universal: Taking a chance on falling in love with someone your friends and parents might disapprove of, only in Moroney's song the "wrong boy" doesn't drink too much or fight too much or belong to a gang, he just cheers for a rival football team. Just as you don't need to know anything about the geography of rural Georgia to appreciate "Chattahoochie," you don't need to know the history of Georgia and Tennessee in football to appreciate "Tennessee Orange."

Oh, and another thing that might help this song, especially among the young female demos, are the reports linking her romantically with Morgan Wallen, who just happens to have a very similarly themed song, "Tennessee Fan," on his new album, although in that one, he falls for an Alabama girl.

Back in the 80s Kiss 99.9 Asheville NC played "Heaven's on Fire" by Kiss which I believe stopped short of the Top 40.

But that station played a number of rock songs, some that didn't even come close to the Top 40. "Alone Again: by Dokken was one of them.

Back in the 80s Kiss 99.9 Asheville NC played "Heaven's on Fire" by Kiss which I believe stopped short of the Top 40.

But that station played a number of rock songs, some that didn't even come close to the Top 40. "Alone Again: by Dokken was one of them.
The Kiss song was a No. 11 hit on the Mainstream Rock chart. the Dokken song peaked at No. 20. Sounds like your Asheville station was a rock-leaning, crossover-friendly CHR. Not surprising for a very white market with few Blacks or Hispanics.

Correct. It gets 13 spins in the evening, 13 spins in overnight, 1 spin in morning drive, 1 in PM drive. What's your question?

From what I see, it's already peaked and is a recurrent. Her next single is out, called Wasted.
Not a question, just interesting. I didn't know it got any spin in morning drive, but hear it every Friday p.m. drive.,

The Kiss song was a No. 11 hit on the Mainstream Rock chart. the Dokken song peaked at No. 20. Sounds like your Asheville station was a rock-leaning, crossover-friendly CHR. Not surprising for a very white market with few Blacks or Hispanics.
I don't even know if there was a genuine rock station in the area, and if there was, the mountains made listening to that station difficult. What I do know is the station changed from beautiful music shortly before that. WSPA-FM was the one station left in that format and probably hard to hear in part of the area.

The latest Asheville ratings show a dial with no urban or Spanish-language formats, not even a rhythmic CHR. The top three music stations are country, alternative, and classic rock. Play anything with a beat or minus electric guitars at your own peril if you run a station there.

The latest Asheville ratings show a dial with no urban or Spanish-language formats, not even a rhythmic CHR. The top three music stations are country, alternative, and classic rock. Play anything with a beat or minus electric guitars at your own peril if you run a station there.
There are also a Hot AC and a CHR but they don't show up.

For example, the song Miss You by Oliver Tree was played overnight here mainly, but notice it got spun more regularly in Joplin, but looks like it never "took off." It was probably too unusual sounding.
As TheBigA says, it's a dance track, and not a particularly unusual dance track. It was (and to some extent still is) on the air heavily where I live, but only on Dance stations (and we have so many, especially in the area of northern England that I've recently relocated back to - I counted seven on the local dial). It's not something that's going to cross over to other formats.

There are also a Hot AC and a CHR but they don't show up.
Other than the big signals like WMIT (religious) and Kiss Country, Asheville's signals are rough in a lot of the metro. Demographically, you've got a very liberal city, a MAGA surrounding area, and people in the city are not known for having a lot of money.

Going by the YouTube comments on that Oliver Tree song, it’s got a strong reception. 151 million views in 4 months is incredibly impressive.

I heard this a few times on BPM or Diplo’s Revolution but not recently. This song has cross over potential. However, the bias against electronic music will hold this song back on pop radio.

"Chattahoochee" is uptempo with a great beat, and Alan Jackson's backing ensemble- especially the drummer and guitarist are first rate. It's a song about summertime on the river, and anyone close to a river, lake, or beach can relate to summer fun and watersports.
But "Tennessee Orange"....... I agree with you. I don't see that anyone outside of Tenn. or Vols fans will relate to it. First of all, her voice is very whiny, she sings with little enthusiasm or energy, and the premise of the song is that she needs to keep the romance a secret from her father, who would be angry w/ her for dating a fan of another SEC school. JMO -- it's not well written, or well-sung, or well-produced. Again, JMO.

Indie artists can get stuck in this range - this one was getting overnight spins before it was even available online anywhere, but appears to be firmly stuck in the overnight category. Presently at #37 on CHR and will probably peak in the low 30s. Viacom (sorry, “Paramount”) did recently add the video to their music video channels (MTVU, NickMusic) so that’s a few hundred more eyes on it.

Also, starting around 2013-14, Radio Disney was known for playing these songs more due to their heavily censored all-current CHR format. Recent Grammy winner Kim Petras had almost zero traction on radio before “Unholy” except Radio Disney playing several of her singles. There’s several other examples I can find.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom