• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Power Surge - power "quality" worldwide?

^^^
...power surge so powerful it blew the meters off houses and fried electronics.

IIRC, one USA TV station (maybe Chicago) had installed power conditioning/backups for their TV station, but not surge protection. I just remember reading that a power surge from power restoration damaged some of their equip and kept them off the air longer.

I was wondering, back before brownout/surge power protection, was power quality a problem in various places worldwide (mainly surges, I started hearing about home power strips/surge protection ~30 years ago, I've been using them ever since, I just replaced all of mine last fall)?

Kirk Bayne

I was wondering, back before brownout/surge power protection, was power quality a problem in various places worldwide (mainly surges, I started hearing about home power strips/surge protection ~30 years ago, I've been using them ever since, I just replaced all of mine last fall)?
I operated stations in Ecuador in the 60's, and had over a dozen transmitter sites and a half-dozen studio locations. At every one, power surges were a constant threat. The biggest issues were surges when power returned after an outage, and we had voltage regulators and primitive surge protection. But we kept lots of spare parts, ranging from transformers to power supply components and spare tubes.

Also in open areas lightning strikes to power lines were just as dangerous or perhaps more so than tower hits.

Most surge preventive devices in power strips use inexpensive MOV's (Metal Oxide Varistor), which is a one-time use component that sacrifices itself once the voltage reaches or exceeds 1,000VAC. The problem with MOV's, are they only are effective once. You might not be home when a voltage spike occurs, and the MOV in that strip has already lost it's ability to protect future spikes/surges.

For as much as the press knocks the age and reliability of the U.S. utility grid system, it's one of the most reliable and available in the world. Especially true when you compare along side utilities in other continents.

Power surge is for real. Georgia Power has their own service that for only $9.99 a month will protect your house*. It doesn’t mention commercial accounts. I doubt they would do a tower site. If you have a backup generator it should wait a couple of minutes before it switches back to the power company. IMHO Lightning from the power company is worse than a hit to a tower. I have had to rebuild the power supply to a gates board and replace the main card on an old Harris automation once when lighting came thru the power feed once. They paid a consultant who put a big copper 12-inch strap from the power company’s neutral around the building and tied it to the tower. I was on the air a year later when lighting visited again. The lights got really bright, the automation got fried again, the studio mice was on (At that time you had to read the storm warnings I was the lucky because I was on a large rubber floor mat) the relay that turned off the monitor speaker when the mice was on was stuck to the on air position so the only way you hear the station was with head phones. About half of the breakers in the building were tripped again. Scared the secretary so bad she quit. I didn’t blame her. She was knocked out of her chair while typing and was just regaining her breath when I got to that part of the building. After the storm stopped, I went out to check my car and saw the 12-inch strap had been blown in two for about 6 inches where it tied to power companies feed. The tower light circuit breaker did not trip either time. I guess we were lucky the Cable company had a tower about a quarter mile away and their transformer in front of their hut was on fire.

*Surge Protection | For Your Refrigerator and Other Appliances

For as much as the press knocks the age and reliability of the U.S. utility grid system, it's one of the most reliable and available in the world. Especially true when you compare along side utilities in other continents.
Having lived and worked in places where at least one power outage a week was not considered abnormal, and where seasonal rationing via blackouts was sometimes employed, I'm amazed at how Americans don't realize how truly reliable our systems are.

I also see evidence of unrealistic high expectations in the comments that are posted here when a station has a single outage; there are even comments about how consolidation and automation have somehow increased the incidents that are actually caused by things like lightening, storms, Acts of God or a mortal moron driving a vehicle into a power post.

I also see evidence of unrealistic high expectations in the comments that are posted here when a station has a single outage; there are even comments about how consolidation and automation have somehow increased the incidents that are actually caused by things like lightening, storms, Acts of God or a mortal moron driving a vehicle into a power post.
So true. Station goes down, and you'd swear the result was a personal attack leveled at the concerned.
Station I worked at decades ago wanted me to approach the group VP of Engineering about a backup generator at the studio. He was a grizzled, but wise older guy. After asking what he thought, came back with the question: In that last ten years, how many power outages has the studio(s) suffered, and for how many hours or minutes? Then assuming there was a loss of airtime, how much revenue was lost that couldn't be made up? Answer: No loss of power at the studio(s) in over ten years with no loss of revenue. I took the simple answer back to my GM.

Having lived and worked in places where at least one power outage a week was not considered abnormal, and where seasonal rationing via blackouts was sometimes employed, I'm amazed at how Americans don't realize how truly reliable our systems are.

Years ago I spent a couple of weeks in West Africa. I stayed in a small rural village with a friend who was in the Peace Corps.

In those days (and probably still today), if electricity was available at all, it was only in some of the retail outlets and "night clubs" in the villages, and perhaps in a very few houses. And it was only turned on in the evenings.

One evening we were in one of the night spots, drinking beer and playing bingo, and the power went out abruptly. Nothing to do but go home. As it happened, the following day my friend had arranged for me to tour the local "power plant".

When we got there, the plant manager proudly showed us around the facility. There were three medium-sized diesel generator units; one was obviously a parts unit, another one looked mostly complete but was not in running condition, and the third unit was the one they used most of the time. The manager explained that it had broken down the night before because a belt broke.

I looked around to see where they kept the spare parts. There weren't any. The manager explained that the belts frequently broke, and they always had to wait several days until a new belt could be jeeped into town from the capital city (several hours away by dirt roads).

It did not seem appropriate to tell the plant manager how that sort of problem would have been handled in the US (keep extra belts and other spares on hand, and fix whatever was causing the belts to break).

Years ago I spent a couple of weeks in West Africa. I stayed in a small rural village with a friend who was in the Peace Corps.

In those days (and probably still today), if electricity was available at all, it was only in some of the retail outlets and "night clubs" in the villages, and perhaps in a very few houses. And it was only turned on in the evenings.
Something similar to that in Baghdad, Iraq: During summer months where the temps get up to 130F, they have frequent rolling blackouts. Downtown Baghdad has two hours on, two hours off. We had two diesel generators that we start one at a time just before the next outage, then shut it down when power returned. That schedule happened day after day for at least nine months a year.

Interesting situation with Livermore residents. I would not want to be in their boat (although I've lived through a substantial flood, which was bad enough). I wonder if anyone affected *did* have a whole house surge protector, and if it too failed? If it did fail or blow up, did it blow protecting all internal in house electronics? If that were the case, it did it's job. If the electricians had found one of those situations, it would have been a great PR promo/commercial for the manufacturer (IMO, whole building surge protectors are a must in all broadcast applications). Or did a particular smaller surge protector fry, but still, the equipment plugged into it did not. I would have been interested in knowing some of those details too.

One of my most favorite smaller surge protectors is the Tripp Lite Isobar Ultra series. Having engineered radio stations for over 25 years, I had them everywhere, and never ever had one blow up on me, even though my towers (two of which were within 50' of our office/studio buildings) were getting struck around 12 times a year. Most importantly (IMHO) is a great ground system next to those towers, for those strikes to find their way into the ground as quickly as possible. For me, tying all of my grounds together (water pipes, copper straps, star grounds, building steel frames, etc.) really fixed some lightning problems I had in the beginning, when some of our equipment was blowing up, even though we had great ground systems near the towers. What worked for me was ultimately having all pieces of equipment, including the tower ground systems, at the same ground potential, by tying them all together. After accomplishing that, I never ever had a problem after that.

With all of the LED lighting that is now integrated into the Empire State Building broadcast mast, I wonder if the lighting (and electronics) is always able to tolerate the multiple strikes the tower receives throughout the year? I've learned over the years that an electromagnetic cloud usually is in place with a lightning strike, which can effect equipment around it. Maybe all LED electronics for the tower mounted lights (not beacon and side lighting) is located off the tower, in another room. Don't know. There's got to be a ton of RF up there, and it looks like the LED lighting is able to tolerate it too.

On a personal level, I'm always concerned about the episodes when I lose home power, even briefly (which is very rare), and power returns.

Last edited:
Where I live in Knoxville TN near the center of the city, our power seldom does out more than briefly. Other places around us have more outages. In the mountains, outages are much more frequent with frequent storms and high winds. A couple of years.ago we had rare snow and wind on Christmas Eve. "But wouldn't it be wonderful to be stranded in a cabin in the snow on Christmas Eve?" Mmmm that would be no. Power was out for several days and some didn't bring enough food.

The most epic lightning strike I can remember was when a bolt struck the KEZX-FM Seattle tower on Cougar Mountain sometime in 1984/1985. It knocked the station off the air for a few weeks.

Whatever damage happened, it must have been glorious. Because after the station returned to the air, they took out a full page ad in the Seattle newspapers to thank all the engineers who worked to help get the station back on the air. Followed by a list of call letters of every Seattle/Tacoma FM station. So whatever went down, it was an all hands on deck moment.

Dealing with lightning is kind of crazy, and many times a challenge. IMO, everything you do is all about prevention, and you hope you get it right. Thankfully there's already a plethora of information out there to help you get it right. Certain areas of the US have better ground conductivity than others, which also plays a part in quickly discharging that lightning strike into the ground. I've never worked in low soil conductivity areas, but I've read you need to take extra steps with chemicals, compared to high soil conductivity areas that don't need those chemicals.

One area was always kind of a sore spot for me, and that was analog phone lines. In my case, every analog phone line needed to have it's own surge protection on it. In the good ol' days of analog phone lines, if you had 50 lines coming into a building (like sometimes in my case), that could be quite a chore sometimes to install all of that surge protection, and even that didn't always guarantee a lightning strike wouldn't find its way into your telecom equipment, or studios. We once had a major electrical thunderstorm roll through, and I remember being called to one of the studios, because the "phone"s had now developed a severe hum, and I realized that the phone module in the console had suffered lightning damage. The strike had passed the phone hybrid without doing damage, but still took out the console phone module. Upon arrival in the studio, you could definitely smell something had fried. Luckily I had a replacement phone module on hand. Thankfully the rest of the on-air console was working with no further damage. I don't know if the jock was taking calls when the damage took place or not, but one of those strikes found its way into the console. Thankfully, I think out of hundreds of pieces of equipment, that was the only damage during that storm. I also remember during that storm that a female's window in the Traffic Department faced the base of our 425' self supporting tower, and she could constantly see lightning jump over the base insulators. She was so freaked out seeing this, that she asked to leave for the rest of the day. I also had a different facility at a different time in my career, in which I was always working on improving the internal building ground system. With my workload, it was something I couldn't always concentrate on, and would need to go back to it, again and again, when I had time. Well, a late night thunderstorm blew through one day, and did some damage. It was really interesting to see what equipment in the building was effected. Who would think that 1 out of 4 HVAC thermostats would suffer damage? There were spotty areas in the building in which some equipment also suffered lightning damage.

If I wasn't already in the building at the time, after a thunderstorm, I would usually go into our facilities just to inspect, and make sure everything was running the way it should. With lightning damage, it doesn't *always* immediately rear its ugly head. Sometimes down the line a piece of equipment would just fail out of the clear blue, and I would wonder sometimes if it was due to past lightning damage. In certain situations, you could visually see when a lightning strike found its way into a building, and arc'd over, trying to find a better ground to discharge on. Lightning is crazy.

MANY TV stations have "flywheel" systems which actually have a motor/generator with a big flywheel in between. There is enough momentum in the system to keep the voltage up until your genset spins up and comes online. And of course the MG set keeps line transients from reaching your equipment.

There is a type of regulator known as an "automatic variac." It uses a buck /boost series transformer, a variable autoransformer (variac) and a servo control circuit. It will out put a constant AC supply voltage from a varying line and does a great job of stripping off the transients.

They're not cheap. I have a General Radio 1582 AL on my home stereo. I live at the end of an under rated rural power line and the voltage goes all over the place (anywhere from 109 to over 125). The 1582 keeps the stereo stuff happy. These devices are also nice because they do not add harmonics to the AC waveform like the SOLA style regulators do.

GENRAD is gone, but there are other outfits (Staco) who make these devices. My 1582 is a rackmount unit. Weighs QUITE a few pounds. Its rated to 40 or so amps. They came in various ratings and configurations (i.e single or multi-phase.) VARIAC is (was) GR's trade name by the way. I have used these for VITAL and sensitive equipment in a variety of locations. They do require some occasional maintenance, like changing the brushes on the variac.

MANY TV stations have "flywheel" systems which actually have a motor/generator with a big flywheel in between. There is enough momentum in the system to keep the voltage up until your genset spins up and comes online. And of course the MG set keeps line transients from reaching your equipment.

There is a type of regulator known as an "automatic variac." It uses a buck /boost series transformer, a variable autoransformer (variac) and a servo control circuit. It will out put a constant AC supply voltage from a varying line and does a great job of stripping off the transients.

They're not cheap. I have a General Radio 1582 AL on my home stereo. I live at the end of an under rated rural power line and the voltage goes all over the place (anywhere from 109 to over 125). The 1582 keeps the stereo stuff happy. These devices are also nice because they do not add harmonics to the AC waveform like the SOLA style regulators do.

GENRAD is gone, but there are other outfits (Staco) who make these devices. My 1582 is a rackmount unit. Weighs QUITE a few pounds. Its rated to 40 or so amps. They came in various ratings and configurations (i.e single or multi-phase.) VARIAC is (was) GR's trade name by the way. I have used these for VITAL and sensitive equipment in a variety of locations. They do require some occasional maintenance, like changing the brushes on the variac.
Today, most studio systems and lots of low to medium power transmitter sites use a UPS which is an array of rechargeable batteries that hold the operation long enough to allow the genny to crank up. These are simply great big versions of the ones lot of us have on our computer at home to avoid transients, surges and outages.

Yep where I work we have two of them. Both are getting their capacitors replaced in two weeks:Flywheel UPS Main Screen.jpgFlywheel UPS's 1.jpg

Yep where I work we have two of them. Both are getting their capacitors replaced in two weeks:View attachment 2967View attachment 2968
What is the lifespan of the capacitors? ... and the units?

I have never had one of those up close, as everywhere we have been willing to wait for the generator to kick in or used an Upps.

What is the lifespan of the capacitors?
Recommended capacitor replacement intervals are five years. These are about six years old.
... and the units?
Because the motor-generator is contained in a permanent vacuum chamber, there are no parts to wear out. The bearings are magnetic levitation, so no mechanical wear. In theory, it would last forever.
I have never had one of those up close, as everywhere we have been willing to wait for the generator to kick in or used an Upps.
We did a full facility test a few months ago. Pulled the main building disconnect, and watched the flywheel capacity start spooling down while the 2MW generator started coming up to speed. In the 15 seconds before the generator took the load, the flywheels lost around 23% of capacity. Calculated we had about another 20 seconds of flywheel power left.

Recommended capacitor replacement intervals are five years. These are about six years old.

Because the motor-generator is contained in a permanent vacuum chamber, there are no parts to wear out. The bearings are magnetic levitation, so no mechanical wear. In theory, it would last forever.

We did a full facility test a few months ago. Pulled the main building disconnect, and watched the flywheel capacity start spooling down while the 2MW generator started coming up to speed. In the 15 seconds before the generator took the load, the flywheels lost around 23% of capacity. Calculated we had about another 20 seconds of flywheel power left.
What is the physical size vs capacity? You have a whole building on a single device? I ask as I have never even seen one!

What's the cost to replace the capacitors.

Fly wheel UPS systems are nice. No messy batteries and takes up less space. That VYCON unit looks nice.

What UPS does it interface with. I see EATON work with VYCON.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom