• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Power 96-1 Turns 10 This Weekend

Any thoughts on the past 10 years and the future of Power 96-1?

I know that there have not been many musical changes to Power 96-1 over the past decade. Currently, there is a tight 38 song playlist with a few recurrents in the mix. But listening to other iHeart CHRs across the USA, they all have about the same playlist. I notice the songs have to be charting upward and as soon as they go steady or start to lower, the immediately drop off the playlist and get replaced with something new. Q99.7 will hang on to them much longer as they have a much larger playlist.

4 morning shows - Elvis Duran, Scotty K and Riley Couture, PK in the Morning, the Jubal Morning Show. I think we can all agree Scotty K and Riley were giving the Bert Show a bit of competition but were dropped at the height of their success.

Definitely does better than it’s Project predecessor in the ratings so the move to CHR was a good one. However, the Bert Show has kept them for the most part behind Q in the ratings.

Good sounding station with great audio processing. They played songs at the iHeart super fast speed for the first two years and started to play them at normal speed after that. I’ve noticed most of the nationwide iHeart CHRs are now running at normal speed as well.

Weekends have pretty much stayed the same with On the Move, AT40 and the iHeart Radio Countdown.

Heavy on the voice tracked national DJs in the beginning. More local DJs now. On-Air with Ryan Seacrest has been on since the start with its air times changed multiple different times. However, it has always straddled the lunch hour.

AT40 three weeks ago played a clip of “Running Up That Hill” from 1985 with Casey Kasem. It may not be a big deal to anyone here but I thought it was pretty cool to hear Casey Kasem’s voice on modern day Power 96-1.

But would they be doing better if they had remained 96 Rock?
No. IIRC 97.1 had already pasted 96 Rock except for The Regular Guys in the morning. When TRG self destructed 96.1 was doomed.
IMHO 96 Rock was a really cool station but times change. They didn't. There were several really excellent stations in Atlanta that were victims of changing music tastes. To start naming them would sidetracking thread,

No. IIRC 97.1 had already pasted 96 Rock except for The Regular Guys in the morning. When TRG self destructed 96.1 was doomed.
IMHO 96 Rock was a really cool station but times change. They didn't. There were several really excellent stations in Atlanta that were victims of changing music tastes. To start naming them would sidetracking thread,
Amazingly we’re still here with the languishing Rock 100.5, which has always lacked direction and has never been a huge success. Did they play much of a factor in Project’s demise?

I think Power 96-1 is going to need a different morning show to get back to the next level. Jubal is talented, but somehow I can't get past the idea that the Atlanta version consists of tracks from the previous day's live show in Seattle. If iHeart is not willing to invest in a local show, even an east coast-based syndicated show would seem to work better.

I suppose iHeart's being able to help amortize the Jubal Show's salaries combined with saving money on local talent trumps being competitive in the ratings. Atlanta is the show's largest market.

Atlanta is a top 10 market. iHeart is doing one of two things - they’re trying to save money, or they’ve been unable to compete with The Bert Show so they aren’t bothering anymore or right now, using it as an opportunity to promote a show they are trying to grow. The lack of consistency and now local morning show is really cheap if they want to be a serious competitor in a top 10 market.

iHeart knows CHR. They have the highest amount of large market CHR success stories. I feel if they went all out they could break down Q100. I wonder if they have tried/would ever try to make a play for TBS when the Cumulus contract is up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom