• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Power 106 faltering against 92.3?

Today I noticed that KPWR's wikipedia page lists the station as "Rhythmic Hot AC" now that they've been playing a lot more throwbacks in the last year or so.

Is this true? Is Power 106 no longer "Rhythmic" and is now "Rhythmic Hot AC"?
Stations can call themselves whatever they want. Nielsen still lists them as Rhythmic Contemporary.

Of course, Meruelo and their operations manager parted company before the holidays, so there may be changes going on over there.

Today I noticed that KPWR's wikipedia page lists the station as "Rhythmic Hot AC" now that they've been playing a lot more throwbacks in the last year or so.

In looking at the music log, the format is still squarely Rhythmic CHR, and there are a few classic tracks thrown in from time to time.

The standard definition of a Rhythmic Hot AC or Rhythmic AC (sometimes a misnomer itself on stations that play nothing contemporary) would be stations like KZ 102.3/Peoria or Hot 97.5 & 103.9/Phoenix.

Their still current driven hip hop but they have been playing some 90’s and 2000’s over the last year but they’re trying not to cut into KDAY’s audience which is understandable considering that KPWR is in direct competition with KRRL which is doing well in the ratings. They should play some 90’s house tracks like Angelina, Planet Soul and Lina Santiago in the balance to make us remember why we fell in love with the station.

According to mediabase they are still rhythmic and always will be. They’re in direct competition with Real 92.3 so they’re still playing current hip hop but is giving more airplay to older hip hop hits as of late.

Their still current driven hip hop but they have been playing some 90’s and 2000’s over the last year but they’re trying not to cut into KDAY’s audience which is understandable considering that KPWR is in direct competition with KRRL which is doing well in the ratings. They should play some 90’s house tracks like Angelina, Planet Soul and Lina Santiago in the balance to make us remember why we fell in love with the station.
As much as I would love to hear Angelina, Planet Soul, Lina Santiago, and Bucketheads on Power 106, I don't see the station playing those songs in this current time since a lot of people within their main target audience probably wouldn't know those songs. If anything, KDAY is far more likely to play those tracks.

I always trust the word of an anonymous IP, who has seemingly been banned from Wikipedia...

WIKIPEDIA IS NOT an official source of any sort.

WIKIPEDIA IS NOT an official source of any sort.
At best (and that gives a liberal meaning to "best"), Wikipedia is a good place to start. It can be used to find names and references that can be dug into more deeply. At its worst, it is just wrong.

And then misinformation is compounded when one uses Wikipedia's own search to find additional (wrong) information.

In a doctor's office I went to recently there was a cute and artistic little sign in fun lettering that said, "Please don't tell the doctor you read about it on Wikipedia".

One of the reasons I started www.worldradiohistory.com was to provide sources for data that more closely mirror the truth than Wikipedia and its ilk.

At best (and that gives a liberal meaning to "best"), Wikipedia is a good place to start. It can be used to find names and references that can be dug into more deeply. At its worst, it is just wrong.

And then misinformation is compounded when one uses Wikipedia's own search to find additional (wrong) information.

In a doctor's office I went to recently there was a cute and artistic little sign in fun lettering that said, "Please don't tell the doctor you read about it on Wikipedia".

One of the reasons I started www.worldradiohistory.com was to provide sources for data that more closely mirror the truth than Wikipedia and its ilk.
I'm very appreciative that most radio station Wikipedia editors use RadioInsight for current credited links where the print publications have run dry. Since the day we launched Radio-Info, I always wanted to have a station directory with full histories and accurate data of every station. 100000watts.com under Chip Kelley and later when @fybush was editor came the closest to providing the programming info side, but the time in research and data entry and coding necessary to produce that is not feasible. So we're stuck with Wikipedia and it's as you said a gateway.

I'm very appreciative that most radio station Wikipedia editors use RadioInsight for current credited links where the print publications have run dry. Since the day we launched Radio-Info, I always wanted to have a station directory with full histories and accurate data of every station. 100000watts.com under Chip Kelley and later when @fybush was editor came the closest to providing the programming info side, but the time in research and data entry and coding necessary to produce that is not feasible. So we're stuck with Wikipedia and it's as you said a gateway.
Even for those who can afford the 4-figure BIA service, there is little historical data beyond the last 5 or 6 years. BIA does go back to around Docket 80-90 times on station transactions, but that is where it stops.

As much as I would love to hear Angelina, Planet Soul, Lina Santiago, and Bucketheads on Power 106, I don't see the station playing those songs in this current time since a lot of people within their main target audience probably wouldn't know those songs. If anything, KDAY is far more likely to play those tracks.
There was billions of dollars invested in getting these types of songs off the rhythmic stations in America because in the 1990s we were becoming one people and smashing the Bilderbergs Great Society divide, conquer, control which was the counter created in the 1960s to the movement of one people by Dr. King, Charleston Heston, and the Malcolm X who came back from Mecca (when he preached hate whitey he was working for them, comes back from Mecca with a love all mindset and is killed instantly), brought fear that we, the slaves to our Bilderbergs Murphy Sachs masters, might bring about a much needed French Revolution Deaux.
They didn't even mess around with the threat of the Orange man, we were punished for his election, even if you didn't vote for him, we got us a punishment, oh yes we ....Vid.

KDAY probably plays those song during their mixes on the weekends.

Today’s youth don’t know how good Power was back in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Lina Santiago and Angelina had bangers in 1996 and Power played those records around the clock.

Nielsen, Mediabase, and Billboard still has KPWR listed as Rhythmic and still adds currents on Mediabase’s Rhythmic panel but has reduced the amount of Hip-Hop product it has added and incorporated a few Rhythmic charting titles from Raye, Rema/Selena Gomez, and Pink Pantheress.

Nielsen, Mediabase, and Billboard still has KPWR listed as Rhythmic and still adds currents on Mediabase’s Rhythmic panel but has reduced the amount of Hip-Hop product it has added and incorporated a few Rhythmic charting titles from Raye, Rema/Selena Gomez, and Pink Pantheress.
Is Power 106 going to back to playing rhythmic pop/dance. Are they going to give up the direct competition to KRRL since it’s painfully obvious that Power is still failing in the ratings.

Last edited:
Is Power 106 going to back to playing rhythmic pop/dance. Are they going to give up the direct competition to KRRL since it’s painfully obvious that Power is still failing in the ratings.
At this rate they got to do something. I noticed other Rhythmic outlets are jumping on Tiesto, Kim Petras, Miley Cyrus, and Bebe Rexha lately. Even Taylor Swift’s “Lavender Haze” has shown up on KEZE Spokane. KPWR should go back to being a trendsetter IMHO.

In February so far it is averaging 10th in 18-49 (and that is the core demo for Black and Hispanic buys). It is up from around 15th or 16th the prior 6 months.

Power has always, historically, had much larger Hispanic audiences than Black and the market, in 18-49, is over 50% Hispanic and not even 10% African American. So they have to follow Hispanic tastes first.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom