• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Post your latest DX

I'll start a thread where we can post our most recent DX catches on the various broadcast bands.

I will kick it off with my last nights DX listening session:

LONG WAVE

245 YZE ON GORE BAY, 11/28 2033 CST, morse code ID.
248 UL PQ MONTREAL, 11/28 2019 CST, morse code ID.
252 ALEGRIA, TIPAZA, CHAINE 3, 11/28 2113 CST, very faint signal with French language talk and background music. Tough copy due to extreme noise level on LW at my location. Matched with web stream.

MEDIUM WAVE (AM)

530 CUBA, Radio Rebelde, 11/28 1908 CST, live sporting event. Mixing with Radio Enciclopedia and in CIAO null. //5025 SW.
800 NETHERLAND ANTILLES, TWR, 11/28 1927 CST, weak in CKLW null with Spanish religious talk.
900 WKDA TN LEBANON, 11/28 1955 CST, religious talk in Spanish. Radio Luz mention. Also matched to web stream.
1690 KDMT CO ARVADA, 11/28 2100, "Money Talk" slogan. In WVON partial null.
1690 CHTO ON TORONTO, 11/28 2050 CST, in partial WVON null with Greek language music.

RECEIVER: Drake R8
ANTENNA: Quantum QX Pro loop

I'm wondering if WOKY 920 is having some issues like described in their 2008 STA request. WOKY normally blasts into SE MI before Sunset and Pattern Change. Tonight WBAA was blazing in before Sunset. BTW, WTVN 610 has been on STA Nights with 1 kW ND and WIP/WTEL has been coming in.

WMBD 1470 tonight at 5:20 EDT. First time I've heard it strong and alone in a few years. Maybe still on Day pattern. IDed for certain by live stream in car.

Last edited:
Great idea, CADXER. Thanks for starting the thread.

My latest DX catch as posted last week in another thread, was CKWX 1130 from Vancouver. I've heard that station a few times here before, but it's been several years.

Also, SC, regarding WOKY.... I checked 920 daytime about a week ago. WOKY was its usual anemic self here. If they were running 1kw (or 1.25kw) daytime ND, I'd expect them to do better.

Daytime skip from Knoxville TN 12/3/2018: WHBC-1480, Canton, Ohio mixed with a country station (probably WJLE).

From the Central Indiana SDR near Columbus, Indiana 12/2. : KRVN-880 with Huskers basketball, 4:55pm over WCBS and no sign of WRFD
WNAX-570 Yankton SD with ID at 5pm EST

This morning about two hours before local sunrise. KXRA 1490 Alexandria, MN. 1kw. Typical graveyard catch. Rose to the top for only about five minutes, but that was long enough for a local weather forecast and a positive ID. Distance about 400 miles. Radio was my Sony SRF37 Walkman.

Alexandria is about 125 miles northwest of the Twin Cities on I-94 in an area of poor (but not terrible) ground conductivity. I've spent a few nights in the Holiday Inn there on biz trips doing the run from Fargo to Minneapolis. KSTP is the "50,000 pound gorilla" on the adjacent channel, 1500. Splatter from KSTP typically starts to become an issue for KXRA about 20 miles southeast of Alexandria.

Last edited:
Nice catch cyberdad. Any issues with WPNA at your location? I wish I could do more local sunrise DX. Perhaps when I retire.

Nice catch cyberdad. Any issues with WPNA at your location? I wish I could do more local sunrise DX. Perhaps when I retire.

Thanks!

I AM retired....mostly. So that's a big help with pre-sunrise DX, for sure! WPNA is present here in the daytime, but WGEZ from Beloit, WI is stronger. I turned on the SRF-37 this afternoon at about 2:30pm local time. Still on 1490. WGEZ was on top, but multiple stations underneath. Moving around the dial, WCKY was blowing out all traces of the Elmhurst 1530. I only had a couple of spare minutes, so I moved down the dial. WMBD blasting in like a local on 1470 with WIRL on 1290 almost as strong and mixing with what I presume was WHIO underneath. I wish I could've hung around for a while.

I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a fun DX season!

Thanks!

I AM retired....mostly. So that's a big help with pre-sunrise DX, for sure! WPNA is present here in the daytime, but WGEZ from Beloit, WI is stronger. I turned on the SRF-37 this afternoon at about 2:30pm local time. Still on 1490. WGEZ was on top, but multiple stations underneath. Moving around the dial, WCKY was blowing out all traces of the Elmhurst 1530. I only had a couple of spare minutes, so I moved down the dial. WMBD blasting in like a local on 1470 with WIRL on 1290 almost as strong and mixing with what I presume was WHIO underneath. I wish I could've hung around for a while.

I'm hoping this is just the beginning of a fun DX season!

Like Cyberdad, my latest dx catch was on 1490, WHOC Philadelphia, MS at 5:18AM Central time, playing oldies. ID'ed by a station promo

So far my best dx catch is 1190 mile distant CJBC 890 Dawson Creek, BC right after local sunrise here in Laramie, WY

Spent few hours at the AM dials last night and got a new one for the log book, KWRT on 1370. Surprisingly have not heard them before. Here is what I heard last night:

1030 WQSE TN White Bluff, 12/5 1955 CST, weak with religious music and WQSE ID at 2000. WBZ nulled.
1030 WEBS GA Calhoun, 12/5 2005 CST, country music and mixing with WQSE. Matched to web stream.
1040 WPBS GA Conyers, 12/5 1635 CST, mixing with WHO. Vietnamese language programming.
1370 KWRT MO Boonville, 12/5 1920 CST, fair with local ads, frequent IDs and country music. New.
1550 WIGN TN Bristol, 12/5 1934 CST, good with bluegrass music. Matched to web stream.

Receiver: Drake R8
Antenna: Quantum QX Pro

Here is what I heard last night:

Good stuff! Congratulations...especially for KWRT. 1370 for me is usually WSPD and occasionally KDTH.

1030 is especially a challenge for me, with WNVR's stick about 2-3 miles from my house. I can null it, but that means WBZ blasting in. "Fortunately" WNVR's nighttime operations are rather sporadic, so they're off frequently.

Calls are wrong on the 890, it's CJ*D*C. I still need CJBC-860, however. One of my most wanted Canadian's. I'll trade the 3 dozen logs I have of CBKF-2 Saskatoon for one of CJBC, knowing how strong 740 Toronto gets when conditions are good towards the east...

Calls are wrong on the 890, it's CJ*D*C. I still need CJBC-860, however. One of my most wanted Canadian's. I'll trade the 3 dozen logs I have of CBKF-2 Saskatoon for one of CJBC, knowing how strong 740 Toronto gets when conditions are good towards the east...

OOPS!! and I know that..brain got confused or something, i knew better lol

I hear CBKF1 and CBKF2 just about nightly here.

When I lived in NW PA, I heard CJBC 860 by day no problem most of the time :)

This morning at 8:00 a.m. CST KTNN Window Rock AZ 660 came booming in for five minutes with news and ID. This evening at 4:58 p.m. CST KEEL Shreveport 710 in null of KCMO in Kansas City MO. At 3:57 p.m CST KQWB 1660 West Fargo ND in null of KWOD Kansas City KS. Yesterday morning at 8:18 a.m. CST KKOB Albuquerque 770 popped up for about two minutes with a restaurant closing discussion, verified with web stream.

.... I still need CJBC-860, however. One of my most wanted Canadian's.

Keep after it! For some reason, CJBC has been blasting around here during the past couple of weeks. Maybe it's just local conditions, or maybe they tweaked something, But CJBC has definitely been sounding really good.

Last night during late critical hours here:

WKRD - Louisville, 790 kHz. At the time, they should have been on night time power of 1 Kw. They do appear to have a lobe aimed right at me.

Years ago, this station was Top 40 outlet WAKY...

Bob

Back
Top Bottom