• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Podcasts: most listened to genres and a question.

DavidEduardo

Moderator/Administrator
Staff member
From Inside Radio:

Comedy Continues As Most Listened-To Genre Says Edison; While History Moves Into Top 10.
Podcast listeners remain on the hunt for a good laugh as Edison Research’s quarterly analysis of the top genres shows Comedy continues to have the most listeners. The bigger surprise could be that despite the fall election season, the News genre lost ground. It slid back to third place as the all-encompassing Society & Culture genre moved up one spot to No. 2 during the third quarter of 2022 among listeners aged 18 and older.

My question is about "comedy" and is, "what percentage of the comedy podcasts contain content and words that would not allow their use on terrestrial radio?"

From Inside Radio:

Comedy Continues As Most Listened-To Genre Says Edison; While History Moves Into Top 10.
Podcast listeners remain on the hunt for a good laugh as Edison Research’s quarterly analysis of the top genres shows Comedy continues to have the most listeners. The bigger surprise could be that despite the fall election season, the News genre lost ground. It slid back to third place as the all-encompassing Society & Culture genre moved up one spot to No. 2 during the third quarter of 2022 among listeners aged 18 and older.

My question is about "comedy" and is, "what percentage of the comedy podcasts contain content and words that would not allow their use on terrestrial radio?"
I'd guess 75 percent or greater, considering that podcast-savvy people are, by and large, in younger age groups. All but one or two of SiriusXM's dozen or so comedy channels carry the "XL" offensive-language tag, so the satellite service must be getting better response to what used to be called "blue" comedy than it is to cleaner stand-up routines. Of course, SXM keeps its ratings methodology and statistics under lock and key, so barring a tell-all leak from a disgruntled insider -- or secret documents found in a Florida resort or a Delaware garage -- we'll never know for sure.

I looked at the 10 most popular podcasts on the Apple Podcasts comedy charts, which are the source material for Edison's research, and 7 of 10 shows are tagged "explicit."

I did not attempt to listen to any of the top 10 to confirm whether they actually use colorful language or adult themes, or if they just check the box to be safe.

The only "podcasts" I listen to are comedy.

"Car Talk" episodes (which the host says are an hour, but it's more like 30 minutes of what was there) are still on the NPR web site, with two new ones each week. I think they're up to 1993. And since they aired on NPR, they're clean.

If I miss "Wait! Wait!" or any of it on NPR, they are put on the web site later in the day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom