• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Podcasting? Good or bad for CHR?

russ973

Inactive
Inactive User
Our listeners are the ones who spend more time on the internet and walk around with iPods, more than any other demo. So what effect do you think Podcasting will have on us?

Should morning shows put their ENTIRE show online to download?

Should they maybe delay it a day at least?

How about a few "best of" bits instead?

And more importantly, how will this affect ratings? I don't think anyone will write down they listened to WXYZ just because they listened to their iPod with it. Not to mention that, but it's the Tivo debate again... listeners can skip the commercials.

Curious what some opinions are.<P ID="signature">______________
Russ
APD/Middays
97-3 KISS FM (WAEV)
Savannah, GA</P>

> Our listeners are the ones who spend more time on the
> internet and walk around with iPods, more than any other
> demo. So what effect do you think Podcasting will have on
> us?
>
> Should morning shows put their ENTIRE show online to
> download?
>
> Should they maybe delay it a day at least?
>
> How about a few "best of" bits instead?
>
> And more importantly, how will this affect ratings? I don't
> think anyone will write down they listened to WXYZ just
> because they listened to their iPod with it. Not to mention
> that, but it's the Tivo debate again... listeners can skip
> the commercials.
>
> Curious what some opinions are.

The Jeff & Jer morning show on Jack FM in San Diego and the Jim Rome show make their shows available on iPods. I'm guessing it's the same way with J&J, but Jim's show is available on iPod after the show is over and is commercial-free. There's no cost for those who pay for the Streamlink service.

I think any effect on ratings would be quite minimal. Most people who listen to morning radio are on their way to work or school, so they'll be listening on to the morning shows anyway on their car radios. However, the convenience of podcasting would allow them to listen to the show when it's convenient for them. But overall, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
<P ID="signature">______________
"...and the countdown continues until the neanderthals that govern college football do something about their pathetic postseason."--Tim Brando, Sporting News Radio</P>

> Our listeners are the ones who spend more time on the
> us?
>
> download?
>
>
>
> the commercials.
>
>

Some stations just put up their "listener's favorites". KRQ's John Jay & Rich has their 2nd date update section online, and are plannig on podcasting it.

I don't think it's really THAT big.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by spongebag7 on 07/08/05 03:42 AM.</FONT></P>

If you were to do anything, why not allow listeners to stream your show at any time over the computer using Real Player. BBC does it.

Do I think putting up a podcast of what your morning show says is a good idea? No way, because if I was listening to the morning show, the music and the voice work together, not seperately. You could maybe try a "best of" that you release once a week...

I think the best way to compete with the iPod is to make me want to listen to your show. It means good music, good imaging and real human announcers that can be themselves on the air. That means real personality, not just a perpetually happy upbeat type that too many CHRs have.

Our listeners are the ones who spend more time on the
> us?
>
> download?
>
>
>
> the commercials.
>
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom