• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Play All The Oldies

Most oldies stations limit their format to "rock 'n' roll" oldies. They don't play Gene Pitney, Dean Martin, Petula Clark, Connie Francis. I wish there was a station that played all the oldies. If they did play all the oldies, they might last longer. There is music outside of rock 'n' roll.

There is a station that 36james discovered, it's on the L.A. Board under Personal Invitation. They have a large playlist and tend to play much deeper cuts that have not been heard probably since those years!!

Also, if you like deeper 70's and 80's, try this link:

http://superhits106.com/

TomL said:
Most oldies stations limit their format to "rock 'n' roll" oldies. They don't play Gene Pitney, Dean Martin, Petula Clark, Connie Francis. I wish there was a station that played all the oldies. If they did play all the oldies, they might last longer. There is music outside of rock 'n' roll.

Most stations don't play ANY '50s & early '60s music anymore.

Unfortunately, it's because these artists are and have been ignored during those magical "tests". They aren't getting tested now, and they won't be ever again. The PD's and the consultants have given up on ones like that, even though it's claimed "all reasonable ones get tested" ::)

I don't know if it's a symptom of old age, but tastes have turned to softer music. No more head banging :mad: music, give the love :-* songs. However, I don't like it too soft. I still can't handle Tony Bennet.

WLNG in Sag Harbor, New York, boasts a 10,000-song playlist covering the mid-1950s through the mid-1980s and including rock'n'roll, r&b, MOR, country and doo-wop---every song that charted and hundreds more that didn't. They even play My Baby's Got A Crush On Frankenstein by Soupy Sales! (Although Soupy meant the Frankenstein monster, not Dr. Frankenstein...but I digress.) WLNG also has some nostalgic jingles. You can listen online at www.wlng.com and you can see a 1370-song sample playlist I compiled at http://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?p=1523003#1523003

LARadioRewind said:
WLNG in Sag Harbor, New York, boasts a 10,000-song playlist covering the mid-1950s through the mid-1980s and including rock'n'roll, r&b, MOR, country and doo-wop---every song that charted and hundreds more that didn't. They even play My Baby's Got A Crush On Frankenstein by Soupy Sales! (Although Soupy meant the Frankenstein monster, not Dr. Frankenstein...but I digress.) WLNG also has some nostalgic jingles. You can listen online at www.wlng.com and you can see a 1370-song sample playlist I compiled at http://xmfan.com/viewtopic.php?p=1523003#1523003

Hey great list! Thanks for this one! Checking the chart positions, they're all hits!

Uh-oh, we're they tested ? ;)

"All hits"? A lot of those 1370 songs didn't even make the top 100! A few years ago when I first discovered WLNG, I read that it was among the ten most-listed-to stations online. I've told several friends about WLNG and not one of them has complained that there are too many obscure low-charting songs or that Happy Together and Brown Eyed Girl and Oh Pretty Woman aren't played often enough. Every major city should have a similar station---and never mind the "consultants" and "auditorium tests."

LARadioRewind said:
"All hits"? A lot of those 1370 songs didn't even make the top 100! A few years ago when I first discovered WLNG, I read that it was among the ten most-listed-to stations online. I've told several friends about WLNG and not one of them has complained that there are too many obscure low-charting songs or that Happy Together and Brown Eyed Girl and Oh Pretty Woman aren't played often enough. Every major city should have a similar station---and never mind the "consultants" and "auditorium tests."

LOL, I was skimming.....but was intrigued by how many were legitimate Top 40 hits.

WLNG's Saturday Night Sock Hop, with Mark Edwards is great show. Mark did his original show was on WICC-600, in Bridgeport, across the sound. Mark had a large following. His show was live, with a chat board and a phone line for requests. Now all the requests are handled via their website. As a loyal fan from the old days, I always appreciated the selection of music presented. Oldies rarely, if ever heard, on other stations. I've met Mar and his producer Larry O'Neil a number of times. Lots of good conversations and trivia sharing. WICC alolo carried Yankee games and UCONN Women's basketball, so his shows were sometimes truncated and frustrating. Additional changes in management found the show looking for a new home. Paul Sidney at WLNG picked the show up, where it has been a winner ever since.
If you haven't heard the show, give it a listen.
Rags

Paul Sidney came from WLIS in Old Saybrook, Connecticut, to become WLNG program director in 1964, a year after the station went on the air. He wound up as manager, co-owner and DJ. In 2009 he died of leukemia at age 69. Forty-five years at the same station! Golly gee!

Clear Channel's Real Oldies station -- heard over the air on WINR/Binghamton, NY -- specializes in the '50s and '60s and is very very good.

TheFonz said:
TomL said:

Most stations don't play ANY '50s & early '60s music anymore.

Fonz my man....checkout the syndicated show.....the Doo Wop Vault. Checkout the shows archives at www.doowopvault1950s.podomatic.com and start rockin and boppin.

It is my theory that of all the doo-wop shows and channels that have ever existed, 99% were called "Doo-Wop Shoppe."

In 2004-5, KSUR-1260, located in Mission Hills but licensed to the ritzier-sounding Beverly Hills, had a 1950s-60s oldies format, giving heavy airplay to the lower-charting oldies that were being ignored by other oldies stations. On Sunday afternoons, John Regan hosted a show called "Finger-Poppin' & Doo-Woppin'." He loved to play requests and even tracked down a copy of Marie by the Harps, which I had asked him to play. (However, he was unable to find a copy of Ring-A-Ding by Carlo Mastrangelo of the Belmonts.) Doo-wop has not been played on Los Angeles radio since. Four years ago, FM oldies station KRTH dropped all the pre-1964 songs. So...the Doo-Wop Vault is much appreciated!

LARadioRewind said:
It is my theory that of all the doo-wop shows and channels that have ever existed, 99% were called "Doo-Wop Shoppe."

In 2004-5, KSUR-1260, located in Mission Hills but licensed to the ritzier-sounding Beverly Hills, had a 1950s-60s oldies format, giving heavy airplay to the lower-charting oldies that were being ignored by other oldies stations. On Sunday afternoons, John Regan hosted a show called "Finger-Poppin' & Doo-Woppin'." He loved to play requests and even tracked down a copy of Marie by the Harps, which I had asked him to play. (However, he was unable to find a copy of Ring-A-Ding by Carlo Mastrangelo of the Belmonts.) Doo-wop has not been played on Los Angeles radio since. Four years ago, FM oldies station KRTH dropped all the pre-1964 songs. So...the Doo-Wop Vault is much appreciated!
Ring-A-Ling (by Carlo) has been available for years on The "20 collectors records of the 50's and 60's"....I believe on Laurie, If you are going to program a doo-Wop show and you don't program Ring-A Ling..I have to be suspect of the show..they probably don't have any Del-Satins a real mortal sin..someone commented earlier "LOL how many were non top 40 hits"..the best programmed Doo-Wop stations are 80% non top 40, the best doo-wop is by artists some of you may have never heard ,... carollons, Planotones, Del-Satins, eternals, inferno's, Jay and the deltas, emotions , encores ..i could go one for days naiming the great Doo-Wop stuff..but then again some people program the Platters as Doo-Wop..go figure.

It's a shameless plug but here goes. :) I have 3000 songs in rotation which works out nice and even to 250 a month for every month.
Right now there's a 2-hour show I did (in mono), and an hour's worth of Live365 sideloads (a mix of mono and stereo cuts). By the way, I second the vote for WINR in Binghamton, NY. I'm close enough to their tower to pull it in clearly even under the worst conditions.

http://www.live365.com/stations/markbradley2012

I have Ring-A-Ling---and every time I mention the title, I start thinking of Lily Tomlin's "Ernestine" character on Laugh-In: "One ringy-dingy...two ringy-dingies..."---on a 1987 CD titled Classic Old & Gold (Laurie 3CD100). It also includes Denise, Hushabye, A Teenager In Love, the Belmonts' Tell Me Why, the Passions' Just To Be With You, and Tear Drops Follow Me by the Del Satins. There ya go!

By the way, XM Satellite Radio Channel 5, which is known as "'50s On 5" but plays songs from 1960-63 along with the '50s hits, plays quite a few low-charting and non-charting dooi-wop songs. Yesterday I heard Oh Rose Marie by the Fascinators!

LARadioRewind said:
I have Ring-A-Ling---and every time I mention the title, I start thinking of Lily Tomlin's "Ernestine" character on Laugh-In: "One ringy-dingy...two ringy-dingies..."---on a 1987 CD titled Classic Old & Gold (Laurie 3CD100). It also includes Denise, Hushabye, A Teenager In Love, the Belmonts' Tell Me Why, the Passions' Just To Be With You, and Tear Drops Follow Me by the Del Satins. There ya go!

By the way, XM Satellite Radio Channel 5, which is known as "'50s On 5" but plays songs from 1960-63 along with the '50s hits, plays quite a few low-charting and non-charting dooi-wop songs. Yesterday I heard Oh Rose Marie by the Fascinators!

The Carlo and Belmonts are the most underrated group and producers..when Dion dumped them in 1960..they started their own label Sabrina ..later changed to Sabina and had some great hits...they used fledgling producers/songwriters Ernie Maresca and gary granahan... a real coup for Doo-Wop stations is to play The belmonts backing Pete Barin on "So Wrong". and "Shu-Bop" by Dion with the Belmonts. Another good one by the facinators is "Chapel Bells".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom