• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Platoon Commentary System for Sporting Events

As I have the cable channel "Willow", I notice that when they piggyback off of Channel Nine, Sky, SuperSport or the like for test cricket matches, and sometimes even One-Day International matches, that the broadcasters in the play-by-play and color commentary positions are switched out every 20 to 30 minutes. Cricket is the only sport I've really seen this for. The closest I can think of this happening in the U.S. is when an aging announcer (the great Vin Scully for example) calls the first three innings, takes the middle three innings off and comes back for the 7th, 8th, and 9th (plus extras if they happen). Do any other sports have the people calling the action take shifts like they are ice hockey players?

Not international, but the St. Louis Cardinals radio team does this. Long-time broadcaster Mike Shannon does innings 1 and 2, John Rooney does 3-6, and Shannon resumes for the final three frames. I don't think this is because of Shannon's age, because it's been going on for many years. It might have originally been implemented in the 90s when Jack Buck was in his final years.

It's actually pretty common for this to happen when a game is broadcast locally both on radio and TV. For example, the most high profile baseball announcer will do the first few innings on radio, switch to calling TV for a bit, then go back to the radio for the final innings.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom