• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pj butta out at kday

Apparently their have been cuts made sad though that kday lost a good dj.

So, is this how they pay for the new Nielsen contract?
That is a cheap shot. No employer likes to lay off, but sometimes it is necessary to let a few go to protect the Organization as a whole and the jobs of those that remain. Neilsen fees are a required cost for them, and they obviously were negotiating the best deal possible on that front as well. So to answer your question directly, no. And you do know better.

That is a cheap shot.

No, it’s not.

No employer likes to lay off, but sometimes it is necessary to let a few go to protect the Organization as a whole and the jobs of those that remain.

True. Didn’t say they enjoyed it or that it wasn’t necessary.

Neilsen fees are a required cost for them, and they obviously were negotiating the best deal possible on that front as well.

They were going without ratings until they reached the deal. Clearly, Nielsen was asking more than they wanted to pay. This may have been what it took to make it happen.

So to answer your question directly, no. And you do know better.

While we’re being direct, you don’t know at all. I do know how the business of radio works, and companies rarely just eat increased costs.

While we’re being direct, you don’t know at all. I do know how the business of radio works, and companies rarely just eat increased costs.
Did it ever occur to you that a decision to cut costs, including salaries had possibly already been made, and their very hardline stance against Nielsen was a step taken to possibly reduce the number of those laid off?

Last edited:
Did it ever occur to you that a decision to cut costs, including salaries had possibly already been made, and their very hardline stance against Nielsen was a step taken to possibly reduce the number of those laid off?

Sure. That's a variable. Neither you or I know whether that's the case, though.

Either way, it still leads back to the question:

So, is this how they pay for the new Nielsen contract?

Which still isn't a cheap shot.

Sure. That's a variable. Neither you or I know whether that's the case, though.

Either way, it still leads back to the question:

Which still isn't a cheap shot.
This company should actually spend (invest) some money and establish an on-channel booster so that KDAY can cover the SFV. KDAY/KDEY serves almost all of the greater LA Metro except the 1.5-2 million population of the SFV

I wonder if breakfast with the beatles got axed from Sunday morning on KLOS?
How about we don't play guessing games with people's livelihoods?
This company should actually spend (invest) some money and establish an on-channel booster so that KDAY can cover the SFV. KDAY/KDEY serves almost all of the greater LA Metro except the 1.5-2 million population of the SFV
You can't boost a signal outside its protected contour. KDAY's 60dBu doesn't make it over the hills at all. They can't invest in something they cannot do.

How about we don't play guessing games with people's livelihoods?

You can't boost a signal outside its protected contour. KDAY's 60dBu doesn't make it over the hills at all. They can't invest in something they cannot do.
The reason their predicted signal doesn't cover the SFV is because they use a directional antenna. If they were non-directional the SFV would fall within their predicted 60dBu contour. What I can't figure out is why they need to be directional---I can't figure out what station(s) their supposedly protecting.

FM spacing rules are based on "predicted" coverage, not the actual signal. "Terrain Shielding" certainly exists, but it's irrelevant to assignments.

Ramp247.com is reporting the other midday cuts across the Meruelo L.A. cluster:

"We have confirmed three of the downsized personalities are: Bryhana Monegain of Rhythmic KPWR (Power 106); PJ Butta of Classic Hip Hop 93.5 KDAY; and Carolina “Caro” Marquez from Latin Pop KLLI (Cali 93.9). At press time, the status of Marci Wiser at heritage Rock station 95.5 KLOS was still unclear."

Another departure from Meruelo Los Angeles, this time affecting afternoons at Power 106:

Another departure from Meruelo Los Angeles, this time affecting afternoons at Power 106:

Again, I hate to have to mention this on a site populated by DJs and other radio pros (whose work I truly respect) but the fact of the matter is, with very rare exceptions, the DJ is the least important element of a music station and is always imminently replaceable, including by a DJ who gets more and more air time these days, Silent Mike.

If you are spinning records for a living you have to understand this fact is part of the job. Historically, even the very best and most talented DJs often had resumes with multiple stations (and even formats) on it. A life spent "up and down the dial" as the song goes. How is that going to be any different in the future with new technologies such as AI that further mitigate and marginalize the use of an actual person?

Meruelo is doing what they have to do. Most people can't even name the mid-day DJ at their favorite station, thus they have concluded the mid-day DJ is an excellent place to save much-needed dollars. That is unfortunate, but it is real-life and complaining about it or implying they have evil motives because they laid off some talent while investing their dollars elsewhere, as some have done on this thread and others in the past, is futile and immature.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom