• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pittsburgh HD signals

Mikey Radio writes >>>.Who'd have thought that Pittsburgh, PA, would have an LGBTQ-oriented Pride Radio channel. Of course, much about that city has changed just in the past 30-40 years. A great town for sure!<<<

Pittsburgh apparently has two LGBTQ subchannels. iHeart's "Pride Radio" on 96.1 WKST-FM-HD2. And 107.9 WDSY-HD3 "Channel Q" from Audacy. Pride Radio is mostly music, with DJs who will give some brief LGBTQ info between songs. On weekdays, Channel Q has several LGBTQ talk shows with some musical breaks, switching to all music overnight and weekends. The music on both services is mostly contemporary dance-leaning tunes, with some LGBTQ and LGBTQ-friendly artists featured.

But as said above, both are national formats found in large markets on iHeart and Audacy stations respectively. I'm surprised none of the iHeart FM stations is carrying "The Breeze" on an HD subchannel. This Soft AC channel is available in most large cities where iHeart has several FM stations. And Audacy often runs Smooth Jazz on one of its HD subchannels as well, but not in Pittsburgh apparently.

Last edited:
Mikey Radio writes >>>.Who'd have thought that Pittsburgh, PA, would have an LGBTQ-oriented Pride Radio channel. Of course, much about that city has changed just in the past 30-40 years. A great town for sure!<<<

Pittsburgh apparently has two LGBTQ subchannels. iHeart's "Pride Radio" on 96.1 WKST-FM-HD2. And 107.9 WDSY-HD2 "Channel Q" from Audacy.

But as said above, both are national formats found in large markets on iHeart and Audacy stations respectively. I'm surprised none of the iHeart FM stations is carrying "The Breeze" on an HD subchannel. This Soft AC channel is available in most large cities where iHeart has several FM stations.
I thought 94.5 WWSW carries "the breeze" HD2

Pittsburgh apparently has two LGBTQ subchannels. iHeart's "Pride Radio" on 96.1 WKST-FM-HD2. And 107.9 WDSY-HD3 "Channel Q" from Audacy. Pride Radio is mostly music, with DJs who will give some brief LGBTQ info between songs. On weekdays, Channel Q has several LGBTQ talk shows with some musical breaks, switching to all music overnight and weekends. The music on both services is mostly contemporary dance-leaning tunes, with some LGBTQ and LGBTQ-friendly artists featured.

But as said above, both are national formats found in large markets on iHeart and Audacy stations respectively. I'm surprised none of the iHeart FM stations is carrying "The Breeze" on an HD subchannel. This Soft AC channel is available in most large cities where iHeart has several FM stations. And Audacy often runs Smooth Jazz on one of its HD subchannels as well, but not in Pittsburgh apparently.
Everything you mentioned, we have here in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Pride Radio on 106.1 HD2, Channel Q on 103.7 HD3, Smooth Jazz The Oasis on 103.7 HD2, and The Breeze on 97.1 HD2.

I heard an 11 minute Rush song (Xanadu) on 92.9 HD3 the other night. That's what I love about some of the subchannels: they play songs that no one else will touch.

And they fixed 92.9 HD2... it was playing Christmas music the other day 😂. Now it's back to variety format "A Bit of Everything".

Last edited:
I heard an 11 minute Rush song (Xanadu) on 92.9 HD3 the other night. That's what I love about some of the subchannels: they play songs that no one else will touch.

And they fixed 92.9 HD2... it was playing Christmas music the other day 😂. Now it's back to variety format "A Bit of Everything".

Thats because no one but music geeks and radio geeks want to hear an 11 minute song

Explain Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do" then... (14+ minutes....).... or "Free Bird"...

Tastes change over the years.. how many songs these days are more then 3 or 4 minutes?

We are back in Texas. Really was impressed with 100.7 HD1 and HD2. 100.7 HD2 sounded like a Rhythmic AC/Classic Hip Hop and R&B channel. I was pretty surprised how Rhythmic both channels sounded.

We are back in Texas. Really was impressed with 100.7 HD1 and HD2. 100.7 HD2 sounded like a Rhythmic AC/Classic Hip Hop and R&B channel. I was pretty surprised how Rhythmic both channels sounded.
What do you mean by rhythmic, like dynamically? Because I know 100.7 WBZZ does their audio processing very poorly they turn the knob for bass so high that every time a bass note comes along the audio level will drop down a lot or pumping will occur.

Personally, one of the reasons I don't listen to them.

What do you mean by rhythmic, like dynamically?
The reference is to rhythmic music, both in the AC format and the Old School format.

A rhythmic AC will avoid "soft rock" sounding songs and favor those that are more melodic and rhythmic. Old School is, of course, all rhythmic.

Are there any AM stations in Pittsburgh using HD radio? I'm thinking not because I can't get any.

Sometime I plan on going to Frederick, Maryland and trying to capture WWFD 820 AM (which transmits purely in digital). I know the hybrid digital mode consumed both adjacents but this all-digital mode seems promising... just breaks backwards compatibility with analog radios. But does anyone listen to music on AM that's not through a translator?

Nobody's still running the obsolete MA1 hybrid system in Pittsburgh.

And you don't need to go to Frederick to hear WWFD in MA3 digital. It comes in just fine during the day everywhere from just south of Harrisburg to Washington to Baltimore and beyond!

I'm originally from just west of Harrisburg and a buddy of mine could get it in his car (in my driveway!) Though my Sangean HDT-1X couldn't quite decode it indoors. Somtimes the static would go to silence and I'd hear a blip of audio, but then complete silence. I'm thinking the signal was just too weak for it to decode but maybe that radio isn't compatible with MA3?

Now I have a car with HD radio so I'll see how far I can get it! I think I do want to stop by the transmitter site though. Maybe I'll bring the 1X along with a power inverter if I'm feeling adventurous.

Last edited:
Hear the Sangean HDT-1X and Sony XDR-S3HD (same chip as the legendary XDR-F1HD) go head to head in the Pittsburgh area:

KVE is the main reason I don't regret purchasing the Sony... love their deep cuts!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom