• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Pat Sajak selling Annapolis' WNAV 1430

Wish this new version of the station luck, today it does sound like the "Gold" format before without the imaging. The webpage update def happened in the last week or so; thus the prior post about the technical issues in transition.

WYRE continues to relay a webstream of "WRNR 103.1". Yes, the old modern alternative format complete with WRNR IDs.

I was at the Silopanna transmitter site just two weeks ago with it's weathered shack. In the adjacent park are two six-foot C-band dishes so young kids can experiment with parabolic acoustics. There is also a placard honoring the old WANN for its role in the Afrucan-American community.

WNAV sold again, this time to Todd Bartley. He owns stations in Winchester, VA (Winc FM and Talk 1400), and apparently owns a translator broadcasting to cornfields in Queen Anne's county (only kind of kidding). WNAV is losing their 99.9 translator so I can see that translator license trying to wedge into Annapolis somehow. I checked out WNAV tonight, it was the True Oldies Channel. WYRE was carrying that less than a year ago.

Thought: a drawback from hardly ever mentioning your AM frequency on the air. What percentage of loyal listeners will they lose because they don't know where to look? Heck, I keep forgetting their frequency (those in the "graveyard" are always hard for me to keep track of.)

Thought: a drawback from hardly ever mentioning your AM frequency on the air. What percentage of loyal listeners will they lose because they don't know where to look? Heck, I keep forgetting their frequency (those in the "graveyard" are always hard for me to keep track of.)

Hi DelmarvaDX-

Not to nit pick, but to note terminology, 1430 is not one of the Local channels that were often referred to as "graveyard" channels.
1430 is a Regional channel.

btw- As I am sure you have noticed, on an analog AM radio the high end of the band is more compressed (I mean on the dial, not the audio), compared to the low end of the band. As a result of this, on a analog radio, tuning in an AM station on the high end is frequently more difficult than tuning in on the low end of the band. I recall in the old days some car radios appeared to have some "band spreading" built into the tuning, and I think one portable I saw had a band spread control that worked on the AM band.

Not totally sure of this, but in the old days it may have been possible to achieve "built-in" band spread mechanically or with a non-linear taper on a single variable capacitor used for tuning.

Last edited:
Without an FM translator WNAV will have a difficult time surviving. I am still waiting for the filing on their AM tower move.
Keep waiting. Sajak has had difficulty selling the land so the station has been granted an indefinite stay. And WNAV will have a translator once all the maneuvering is complete, but even with it I doubt there is much future left for it.

Someday the full story of what happened between all of the recent transfers will be told, but if not for Pat Sajak propping it up for decades out of his own pocket, WNAV would've died long, long ago.

WNAV sold again, this time to Todd Bartley. He owns stations in Winchester, VA (Winc FM and Talk 1400), and apparently owns a translator broadcasting to cornfields in Queen Anne's county (only kind of kidding). WNAV is losing their 99.9 translator so I can see that translator license trying to wedge into Annapolis somehow. I checked out WNAV tonight, it was the True Oldies Channel. WYRE was carrying that less than a year ago.
Keep waiting. Sajak has had difficulty selling the land so the station has been granted an indefinite stay. And WNAV will have a translator once all the maneuvering is complete, but even with it I doubt there is much future left for it.
Someday the full story of what happened between all of the recent transfers will be told, but if not for Pat Sajak propping it up for decades out of his own pocket, WNAV would've died long, long ago.

Interesting. I recall when the article below was first published back when Sajak first sold this station, it mentioned that, along with the sale, Sajak was giving $100,000.00 to the new owner(s) to help with the costs of relocation. Wonder if any of that funding ever changed hands and if so, who ultimately kept it.
Buying the station itself for a mere $1,000 sounds like a bargain, but they will have to relocate. It is on land Sajak owns on Admiral Drive in Annapolis, which Sajak is selling. Sajak is offering to help Roth and Brady with the relocation, with up to $100,000 to help with the move and new lease.

Why are they "losing their translator"? Grew up listening to WNAV and WYRE in the 70's in Edgewater - sad to see what they have become

The new 99.9 translator owner filed a Silent STA in preparation for a new signal source. What will it be? My guess: WYRE.
Not quite. It was for technical changes as the translator was operating from WNAV's tower with equipment owned by WNAV.

Since it's not being operated by WNAV anymore, they need to file to relocate or come to an agreement to lease the current facility from them.

Not quite. It was for technical changes as the translator was operating from WNAV's tower with equipment owned by WNAV.

Since it's not being operated by WNAV anymore, they need to file to relocate or come to an agreement to lease the current facility from them.
To clarify, they would be leasing tower space from Sajak Broadcasting Corporation not WNAV Sajak still owns the towers and the property. WNAV pays him rent. If they move the signal to WYRE they would have to make arrangements with the City of Annapolis who owns that tower.

Back
Top Bottom