• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Part 15 FM idea: You be the judge.

Those cigarette lighter plug aux devices for cars that take audio from a MP3 player/iPod/smartphone and play it through the car's FM radio using an unused frequency...

1. Can they be used in a building with a cigarette lighter plug to wall plug adapter as a legal Part 15 FM alternative to a Whole House or C.Crane transmitter?

2. How effective might devices like these be indoors? More or less range/sound quality/etc... than in a car?

Get one that has a USB connector. That's what I use. It's good for about a 30 foot radius.

Get one that has a USB connector. That's what I use. It's good for about a 30 foot radius.

I have a C.Crane FM transmitter with "The Mod" (an adjustment that cranks your range from 30 feet to 200 feet.) You can't hear the signal anywhere whatsoever off my property, so I think I'm OK. I don't use it these days anyway since I have Bluetooth all over the place.

But it was fun in my old apartment building. I still have an old Windows XP computer tower somewhere with ZaraRadio and a playlist full of '90s-2000s era rock, alternative and hip-hop MP3s, a mic and boom, turntable, CD player and Radio Shack mixing board that was fun to play with the neighbors taking turns playing DJ (this place was full of college students) on Friday and Saturday night. When it comes to Part 15 radio, I simply can't think of a better place to do it.

It is illegal to modify an already approved part 15 device. So I never ever take them apart, loop a wire around the tiny antenna. Then I never loop that wire around a hook in the ceiling.

I especially never rebroadcast baseball games, because I lack express written consent of Major League Baseball.

You can't hear it on 87.7 for about 300ft around my house. If you don't bother anyone no one will bother you.

USB connector is a good idea, I go through way too many AAA's

UPDATE: I've recently purchased a Prime Audio FM Transmitter from one of those "x amount of dollars or less" stores. The Prime Audio had a hole to plug in the cigarette lighter adapter, which looked like it could fit a small barreled AC adapter, so I dug out one of my 12 Volt AC adapters that was the right size, stuck it in the adapter hole, plugged the AC adapter into my power surge, and it fired right up. The FM signal travels roughly 200 to 225 feet in all directions, which I'll take all day for my purposes. The bad news is the Prime Audio has just five options (88.1 to 88.9 MHz) so I'll upgrade to another transmitter the covers the whole FM sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom