• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Opie and Jim Norton Blow Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecjrNFDOvxY

Comedian Esther Ku announces that she had done Anthony's podcast the other day, and Opie gives a weird reaction. Then Jim asks Opie if he'll speak with Anthony at the Patrice O'Neal benefit, and Opie replies, "absolutely not." Then Opie stupidly tells Jim Norton that he and Jim aren't close enough for him to discuss this. They go on to argue for an hour and a half.

Comedian Esther Ku announces that she had done Anthony's podcast the other day, and Opie gives a weird reaction. Then Jim asks Opie if he'll speak with Anthony at the Patrice O'Neal benefit, and Opie replies, "absolutely not." Then Opie stupidly tells Jim Norton that he and Jim aren't close enough for him to discuss this. They go on to argue for an hour and a half.

Egos getting in the way again? These guys are no different than a couple of high school jocks beating up each other. Time for them to grow up.

Did you ACTUALLY spend an hour and a half with this????

Did you ACTUALLY spend an hour and a half with this????

I listened to it on my drive to work yesterday and caught the rest of it on the Sirius App when I got home. I find it interesting when radio personalities have actual/real conversations as opposed to some scripted "Morning Zoo" nonsense where everyone is playing a "character" and they read Prep Burger in the morning to decide what to talk about. Should they send the Stunt Boy out to do some wacky pranks?! War of the Roses?! Prank call some actors pretending to be listeners?!

Here is Boston, we had two long time radio personalities just disappear from the airwaves recently, and the remaining hosts just move on like nothing happened. It is so unrealistic and fake.

I bet it's all scripted. this is just a job to these bozo's..and they are worse than the 'morning zoo types' I literally laughed out loud when they went all 'nice' on scott and flipped on a dime just because he was no longer at PLJ. it's the same exact scott we've gotten for years, and now all of a sudden they play nice? what was also interesting was one of their interviews on cbs. they bash these other radio stations, make a big deal about it, get their listeners all riled up, and then forget about it by the next break.

I can't believe shock jocks are even still relevant these days when everyone is trying to be PC and all fake nice. I never got the magic of howard stern and his fart/lesbian talk either. guess i'm too 'high brow'...

I sat thru the whole video only because I like Jimmy so much. But really, Opie should have ended the conversation about Ant and done the interview with Esther Ku. I know comics are not usually paid to do radio interviews. They do these shows to promote their gigs. Esther Ku didn't get to say much. I had never heard of her so I was hoping to hear the interview. She was quiet most of the time. I was in radio and I would never have had a spat on air with a co-host in front of a guest. They weren't thinking of the listener. Imagine how awkward it was for the guest.

Opie claimed that he would have been sued if he would have walked during the first couple of months after Anthony was fired. Then they resigned in October of 2014. He was also attacking other hosts for continuing after their partners had gotten in trouble when he and Anthony weren't getting along. I don't think Opie helped his case with this fight.

Opie claimed that he would have been sued if he would have walked during the first couple of months after Anthony was fired. Then they resigned in October of 2014. He was also attacking other hosts for continuing after their partners had gotten in trouble when he and Anthony weren't getting along. I don't think Opie helped his case with this fight.

Fire his @$$!

Fire his @$$!

I would hope so...not likely, though. I'm not sure how much of a contract the two of them got post-Anthony, but it was for more money (splitting Ant's share) and I want to say for two years. That puts them there until October, 2016. Then again, Ron and Fez broke up mid-way through a contract. Ron is still there...Will it be simply "The Opie Show" soon?

I don't think there will be an Opie & Anthony reunion, but I bet you Jimmy will be seen as a more regular guest on Anthony's "network". Possibly his own show?

All that being said, I am sooooo over Opie. Truth be told, he has been poor in creating any humorous or compelling content from the get-go...but at the very least since he moved to XM. Basically, Opie ran the board and let Anthony/Jimmy come up with the funnies. When he doesn't get his way or someone calls him out, he turns into a massive crybaby as seen on his numerous on-air fights with Anthony and Jimmy.

After CBS dumped O&A, you could tell Opie (especially) was just punching it in. The quality of a good chunk of their content went down, Anthony slowly transformed into "drunk creepy racist" mode, Opie transformed his voice into the quiet, low mutterrrrrrrrrrrrrr he uses currently on the air, and old Jimmy was trying to bring some levity into the mix...

These folks are far and away better off separate than together. It is my hope Norton ends up with his own podcast (either on Anthony's network or on his own), Anthony continues drinking, spouting off half-cocked racist stuff, and showing off weaponry to his viewers, and Opie does what he really wants to do...spend the last ten years of his working life doing the middays at an AOR station in [insert town here].

It will be an interesting next few weeks on the SXM. We could see two major shows (Stern and Opie) announcing their departure soon. Stern said something today about "7 more shows until I have to figure out whether I'm gonna sign (a contract)" I think Stern will re-sign and Opie will just resign.

Radio-X

I never liked them after they were fired from WNEW. I've listened to clips here and there on Youtube just to follow their show a little.

Stern fanboys have always argued that SXM will lose a critical mass of subscribers the day Stern leaves. Is this still true today? Was it ever true?

I don't know why any of you posters want to waste your time listening to these chumps. You only have one life to live...I can think of better ways to spend my fleeting time than this. Besides, radio as a entertainment venue is over...it's just about Wall Streets greed now.

Stern fanboys have always argued that SXM will lose a critical mass of subscribers the day Stern leaves. Is this still true today? Was it ever true?

It was true in 2006 when he started. Before the Stern announcement, Sirius had maybe 700,000 subscribers. That bumped up to a hair over 2 million once Stern said he was Sirius-bound. If for some reason he was able to leave before the merger, I could've seen Sirius folding. Heck, there was a "sirius" chance they would fold before Stern even left!

Fast forward about 10 years, the two combined sat services have about 23 million paying subscribers (not including trials, and those who got it free with the car). I find it highly doubtful that given the drastic increase in satellite radio equipment included with cars, 2/3rds of the listeners would shut off service if Stern kicked rocks after this week. They'd probably lose 2-3 million subs tops...still an impressive number to go all at once, but I doubt it would send the company into a unrecoverable tailspin by any means!

I bought Sirius because of Stern. The magic wore off more than once for me, so I unsubscribed for years and resubscribed last year for distinctly non-Stern reasons. My guess is a lot of other folks probably unsubscribed when the luster wore off and the renewal notice/bill came in 6-24 months later.

Radio-X

It was true in 2006 when he started. Before the Stern announcement, Sirius had maybe 700,000 subscribers. That bumped up to a hair over 2 million once Stern said he was Sirius-bound. If for some reason he was able to leave before the merger, I could've seen Sirius folding. Heck, there was a "sirius" chance they would fold before Stern even left!

Fast forward about 10 years, the two combined sat services have about 23 million paying subscribers (not including trials, and those who got it free with the car). I find it highly doubtful that given the drastic increase in satellite radio equipment included with cars, 2/3rds of the listeners would shut off service if Stern kicked rocks after this week. They'd probably lose 2-3 million subs tops...still an impressive number to go all at once, but I doubt it would send the company into a unrecoverable tailspin by any means!

I bought Sirius because of Stern. The magic wore off more than once for me, so I unsubscribed for years and resubscribed last year for distinctly non-Stern reasons. My guess is a lot of other folks probably unsubscribed when the luster wore off and the renewal notice/bill came in 6-24 months later.

Radio-X

XM was the greatest satellite service ever. you could listen to 8 hours and not hear a single song repeat. they also had great sub channels now long gone like On the Rocks and Cinemagic. after sirius bought it, it turned to popular crap. about the only good reason to keep it around are the stations at the begining. 40s, 50s, 60s, and 80s. the 70s doesn't play near enough disco sound for me. oh and cousin brucie when he is on.

if streaming internet radio services didn't eat up a lot of data, i'd be doing that instead of keeping sirius around. they killed off a great brand.

That INCLUDES trials. Last I heard, paying subs is more like 400,000.

Paying subscriber count per the SEC filings for Q2 of 2015 is just over 28,000,000.

They are projected to have revenues of over $4.5 billion this year.

Paying subscriber count per the SEC filings for Q2 of 2015 is just over 28,000,000.

They are projected to have revenues of over $4.5 billion this year.

Maybe the 400,000 number is just standalone units with subs. But the 28 million is mostly cars the came with it.

Maybe the 400,000 number is just standalone units with subs. But the 28 million is mostly cars the came with it.

Some of us old-timers use the same receiver for both -- the unit is plugged into its standalone unit at home, then popped into a cradle in the car. I find it hard to believe that there are only 400,000 standalone units out there. They sold tons of them before satellite radio became anything close to standard equipment in cars.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom