• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

one station;s programming on 2 frequencies

T

theradioguy2004

I know this is a huge off the subject thing to bring up and the issue may have really come and gone by now so please excuse me if this seems weird. I have after 30 years in radio I have been out running on online business following things from a distance since 2001 and have tried to keep up since it is my first love, Having said al that there is something that somehow has gone a way. In the late 90’s when the idea of taking 1 station with outside of a major market with a weak signal in that market and broadcasting the same programming on another station in a small marketing on the opposite end of that same major market, supposedly giving the station a city grade signal, was a trend that started.

Personally I never thought it would work because mentioning 2 frequencies is to cluttered, gives the listener to much to remember and as one station fades they are not likely to remember were to go to find the station on a different station and might not even remember the frequency they had to tune to anyway. I am not writing to debate all that but would like to know how that went and if it is a trend that goes on . As far as I can tell in my traveling visiting family and for other reasons I never hear this so I thought I would check with some of you still in radio to find out. If is stopped was it because of the things I mentioned or other reasons and what were those reasons.

> I know this is a huge off the subject thing to bring up and
> the issue may have really come and gone by now so please
> excuse me if this seems weird. I have after 30 years in
> radio I have been out running on online business following
> things from a distance since 2001 and have tried to keep up
> since it is my first love, Having said al that there is
> something that somehow has gone a way. In the late 90’s when
> the idea of taking 1 station with outside of a major market
> with a weak signal in that market and broadcasting the same
> programming on another station in a small marketing on the
> opposite end of that same major market, supposedly giving
> the station a city grade signal, was a trend that started.
>
> Personally I never thought it would work because mentioning
> 2 frequencies is to cluttered, gives the listener to much to
> remember and as one station fades they are not likely to
> remember were to go to find the station on a different
> station and might not even remember the frequency they had
> to tune to anyway. I am not writing to debate all that but
> would like to know how that went and if it is a trend that
> goes on . As far as I can tell in my traveling visiting
> family and for other reasons I never hear this so I thought
> I would check with some of you still in radio to find out.
> If is stopped was it because of the things I mentioned or
> other reasons and what were those reasons.
>

Actually many markets have what you described. Off the top of my head, in Chicago a network of three weak stations makes up the Nine FM network. (WDEK, WKIE, WRZA)<P ID="signature">______________
<a target="_blank" href=http://www.stationindex.com/>TV Station List</a></P>

Re: Same Market Simulcasts

>

It works. KBUE/KBUA/KEBN, a simulcast of three FMs in LA, is frequenctly in the top 10 and does very well. KRCD/KRCV, also in LA, is another simulcast of two lesser signals. It is frequently in the top 10 25-54, and also does enormously well.

In Puerto Rico, all the top 10 operations save one are simulcasts of several frequencies. There is no listener confusion or difficulty in writing soen the right frequency.
>

>
>

WDRV-97.1 in Chicago simmulcasts on 96.9 WWDV Zion (Which transmits from Wisconsin and gets many of its listeners there) WWDV simmulcasts 97.1 because of the bleed over issue.

No mention of WWDV at all except for on the top of the hour (and its a whisper) just "97-1 FM The Drive" and "This is WDRV Chicago (whisper and WWDV Zion)" Occationally the TOH goes "This is 97-1FM WDRV Chicago and 96.9 FM WWDV Zion."

In Milwaukee, WDRV is the station that gets the most ratings even though WWDV is the station that they are listening to.

In Kenosha (Where the tower is), people sometimes confuse it and put on 97.1 instead of 96.9

96.9 was originally locally programmed until the early 80s when 97.1 (Then WNIB) bought the station to help with the bleed over issue so people could hear it. When Northern Illinois Broadcasting (NIB) sold it to Bonneville in 2001, Bonneville started simmulcasting their WTMX-101.9 on it while flipping 97.1 to Classic Hits. Seems like a dumb move since 101.9 could be heard in most of the areas 96.9 covers. They finally figured that out and started stunting 96.9 in December 2002 (Same exact stunt as 97.1 had) and flipped it back to a simmulcast of 97.1 in January 2003.

And since they have changed to a simmulcast of WDRV, it has become POPULAR. Almost every business in Kenosha that uses radio for background music is tuned to 96.9. It can also be heard in people's yards, garages, radios of construction workers, and coming out of people's cars.

----------------------------

In Chicago 1300 WTAQ and 1500 WTAU "La Mexicana" simmulcasted with each other in the mid 90s. In 1998 ABC bought the pair and turned them Radio Disney. Never any mention of 1500 except for the legal ID. A couple times during the local breaks they had promos with a female and a male saying that they had 2 twins (with the sound of babys crying in the background) and mentioned "Radio Disney AM 1300 and AM 1500. Twice the fun, and twice the dirty diapers" and another one mentioning "Radio Disney AM1300 and AM1500. Wow 2 stations. One for each ear maybe" January 2000 1500 went dark. Went to a simmulcast of 1460 WBJX Racine (LMA) Fell through. Went dark again. Came back in fall 2001 with some instrumental music as a test. Went dark. Came back simmulcasting 1300 again in Spring 2002. Got sold to Multicultural. Went Oldies/Classic Country (locally programmed automated) and remains so today

-----------------------------

In Wausau/Stevens Point, WI a many year simmulcast has just been broken up last month. WOFM-94.7 Mosinee (Wausau area) and 99.9 WIZD Rudolph, WI (Stevens Point area) simmulcasted oldies together until August or September. WOFM went WW1 Oldies Channel and WIZD went locally programmed. This past month WOFM went Rhythmic CHR with the automation logs/music identical to sister rhythmic CHR WLYD. Only thing different is imaging/commercials.

<P ID="signature">______________

AIM: JeremyA1069</P>

> I am not writing to debate all that but
>
In the Boston area, Clear Channel has WKOX 1200 and WXKS 1430 running Air America, sometimes referred to some who post on these boards as "WKOXKS". In other parts of New England there's WRSI 93.9/WRSY 101.5, WXLF 95.3/WZLF 107.1, WWOD 104.3/WPLY 96.3...just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. Oftentimes in these instances you will only hear mention of both stations at (or close to) the top of the hour. The rest of the time they seem to put emphasis on only one frequency ("Oldies 104.3", "95-3 The Wolf", "93-9 The River", etc.). This practice seems to be becoming more common as larger companies buy out smaller stations in rural and semi-rural areas, as a way for these companies (who probably overpaid for the properties in the first place) to make the stations profitable. Of course those that have been doing this the longest are the statewide public radio networks, like Vermont Public Radio and New Hampshire Public Radio...each with several full-power stations and a slew of translators scattered about the spectrum.

Peace.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens
</P>

One REALLY Odd Example In Northeast Ohio/Western PA

> Actually many markets have what you described. Off the top
> of my head, in Chicago a network of three weak stations
> makes up the Nine FM network. (WDEK, WKIE, WRZA)

Not far from here in the Youngstown/Warren OH market, WANR/1570 Warren OH simulcasts its "family friendly oldies" programming on WLOA/1470 Farrell PA and WGRP/940 Greenville PA (both just over the state line).

What's odd about it is that the station doesn't seem to know how to do it. No, not engineering-wise - though it appears the PA stations are fed by the Internet feed at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.wanr1570.com/>WANR1570.com</a> - but rather, how to identify it.

The closest they come is the slogan "Your Family Friendly Frequencies" (!), and they call out each frequency - 1570, 1470 and 940. Lately, they've taken to mixing up the order. What's lacking? An actual "station name". You know, like "Good Time Oldies" or something of the ilk. The station's afternoon jock, Johnny Rogers, occasionally identifies only the home frequency of the simulcast, WANR/1570.

-OA<P ID="signature">______________
Ohio Media Watch - <a target="_blank" href=http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com>http://ohiomedia.blogspot.com</a></P>

>

96.7 WTSX from Port Jervis, NY and 103.1 WGNY FM from Newburgh, NY simulcast each other. It is called Fox 96.7/Fox 103.1. This all started I believe in late Spring this year. WTSX was originally owned by CC and was oldies (a good oldies station too!) and is now owned by PJ Radio. WGNY is owned by Sunrise Broadcasting. The stations seem like a mess because they have their own morning shows and Fox 96.7 (WTSX) has Yankees baseball. The music mix is strange also. They have a website www.foxradio.net . They stream, so you can give it a listen. Personally, I don't like the way things turned out to be.
>
The Place for the Latest Happenings in Radio
www.freewebs.com/radiostuffandnews
</P>

Re: one station's programming on 2 frequencies

In small-market Vermont, WSYB-1380 is simuled on WWWT-1320 in Randolph, about 30 miles away. It's duplicated 100% except for Red Sox games which are not aired on "3WT" as the Randolph station is sloganed.

Most liners and mentions include both stations, except for promos of programs that are aired only in Rutland. <P ID="signature">______________
"What's That?" "French Horns!"

</P>

Re: Palm Springs Trimulcast

In Palm Springs, Morris Communications uses 3 AMs (1140 Palm Springs, 970 Coachella and 1250 29 Palms) to cover the entire Palm Springs trading area. Althoug one is a 10 kw at 1140, another 5 kw at 970, the conductivity in the area is so bad all three are needed. They do all news and talk on the trimulcast, and it is the best performing AM in the market... although that is not saying much.

The former Kool 95 in Dayton, OH was on 95.3 and 95.7. We mentioned both, but prwe "owned" the "95" spot. The simulcast continued even after a switch to 80s as "The Point". Eventually a Classic Rock format began on 95.3.

Up until recently, WTQX Charlotte, MI and WQTX Saint Johns, MI were a sports/talk simulcast under the name "The Ticket". Neither did very well in the ratings, though. The change of that simulcast situation came in the recent format shakeup in the Lansing area. The WQTX call letters moved to the former WTQX in Charlotte, and that station remains "The Ticket," while the former WQTX became WJZL, a smooth jazz station.

Post 965 dedicated to my all-time favorite radio station.
"W-P-O-W; Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the Palm Beaches! Miami's Party Station: POWER 96! (...punto cinco.)"<P ID="signature">______________
"Congratulations to Britney Spears and Kevin Federline, they had a baby yesterday. Spears said he sleeps 18 hours a day and so does the baby.
-- Conan O'Brien
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com</P>

> Up until recently, WTQX Charlotte, MI and WQTX Saint Johns,
> MI were a sports/talk simulcast under the name "The Ticket".
> Neither did very well in the ratings, though.

With only a couple of exceptions, sports talk stations never do well in the 12+ ratings, but do very well in the prime 25-44 male demo, which is why they are such billing successes.

> Actually many markets have what you described. Off the top
> of my head, in Chicago a network of three weak stations
> makes up the Nine FM network. (WDEK, WKIE, WRZA)

Don't forget the three-station/two-frequency simulcast prior to 2003:
energylogo_black.jpg

... which comprised two of the abovementioned stations (WKIE and WDEK) and WKIF/Kankakee IL, which is now a news station. IIRC, all the stations remain co-owned.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> The former Kool 95 in Dayton, OH was on 95.3 and 95.7. We
> mentioned both, but prwe "owned" the "95" spot. The
> simulcast continued even after a switch to 80s as "The
> Point". Eventually a Classic Rock format began on 95.3.
>
Jeremy left out a simulcast done by Univisión radio, the La Kalle simulcast 93.5 WVIX/103.1 WVIV in the Chicago market. That was done because there are no city grade signals for sale at this time. South Bend Indiana market has the 97.7 WZOW/102.3 WOZW simulcast, airing classic rock. I don't know why that simulcast is done when the South Bend radio market is only rates St Joseph County.

>
>
We have a simulcast here in North Alabama, WWXQ 92.5 and WXQW 94.1 calling itself Kool 92/94, and on the AM side we have WHOS 800 and WBHP 1230 going as "800 and 1230 WBHP"
Both of the simulcasts are Clear Channel, 92.5 was once the areas classic rock station as WAZK 92.5 Rock, then CC got ahold of it and made it a simulcast of WTAK 106.1 (then the areas rock station) this went on for a little while when 92.5 became WWXQ and went top 40 as Star 93 (aka Star 92.5), later to become 92 WXQ. It went for a little while longer then they brought in 94.1 and changed it to WXQW... then I kinda lost what little track I was keeping on it and before long it had become Oldies 94.1 never mentioning 92.5 except in the legal ID, then Oldies 92/94, and finally kool 92/94.... and I'm sure i got some things wrong in that, I was only like 10, (haha I remember my mom taking me to chuck-e-cheese with Star 93 playing in the car, while I was sitting there hating it because WAZK was gone)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BamaWOLF on 11/12/05 10:25 PM.</FONT></P>

> In the late 90’s when

Backyard Broadcasting has a pair of simulcasts in the Muncie, Indiana area:

WHTY-FM 93.5, Harford City
WHTI-FM 96.7, Alexandria

Classic rock format "93.5 and 96.7 MAX." The last I knew, they each air separate advertising and sporting events are aired on only one frequency (NASCAR on 93.5, Indiana University football and basketball on 96.7).

WERK-FM 104.9, Muncie
WURK-FM 101.7, Elwood

Oldies format "WERK 101.7 and 104.9." I think they do separate ads as well and at one time I think they each broadcast high school sports relative to their respective frequencies. Oddly enough, even though the WERK simulcast is a "Muncie station," there is a translator (W269BC) of a Morristown CCM format (WJCF-FM 88.1) licensed to Muncie at 101.7.

Here in Maine

WCYI 93.9 & WCYY 94.3 calling themselves 94 'CYY. Also WHXQ 104.7 Kennebunkport & WHXR 106.7 North Windham calling themselves 106.7 & 104.7 The Bone.Then there's WFNX 101.7 Lynn Mass. and WPHX 92.1 Sanford Me. and WFEX 92.1 Peterborough N.H. trimulcast calling themselves 101.7 Boston & 92.1 New Hampshire.WOXO 92.7 Norway & WTBM 100.7 Mexico calling themselves WOXO.WJJB 95.5 Topsham,WJJB 900 Brunswick & WJAE 1440 Westbrook trimulcast as The Big JAB.96.7 WCME Boothbay Harbor Except for the morning show simulcast WVOM 103.9 Howland,"The Voice of Maine" WCME simulcast the morning show of WTOS 105.1 Skowegan.The W-BACH network 99.3,106.3,106.9 & 107.7.I think I got them all except for the Maine Public Radio There's at least 6. And the translators, not sure how many.

Until the middle of last year, I did some work for KFRU 1400 and KLIK 1240 (which has been in the news for some other reasons as of late). I arrived in 2001, when most of the programming was separate between the two stations. However, in either March or April 2002, KLIK dropped its imaging as The TALK Station and became News/Talk 1240 KLIK. KFRU had been calling itself News/Talk 1400 KFRU for quite some time, and the imaging and logo of KLIK should indicate the direction it took. Although it was by no means a straight simulcast as programs like Columbia PM and the Morning Meeting did not play well in Jefferson City and Zimmer had exclusive rights to the Cardinals in Cole and Callaway Counties, pretty much all of the network programming was 100% identical. However, all of the network programming originated locally out of each local studio with its own ID's and everything else. Morning shows were also separate, though they had the exact same name, network news/entertainment and format clock, just different hosts and local segments. Prior to the switch from The TALK Station to News/Talk 1240 KLIK, my show was the only one that was simulcast between the two stations, and it was only once-a-week. I had to cut separate ID's for KLIK for the board-op in Jefferson City.

More Simulcasters

LaKalle-FM 105.9 WCAA New York City (COL = Newark, NJ) and 92.7 WZAA Garden City, Long Island.

ESPN Boston WAMG 890 Dedham/1400 WLLH Lowell (These stations simulcasted when they were Spanish too. Until Mega Sold it, it was 1150 WAMG Boston/1400 WLLH Lowell)

ESPN Danbury WINE 940 Brookfield, CT/1510 WPUT Brewster, NY (These stations are both daytimers, tho 940 is licensed for 4 watts at night)

The Talk Of Connecticut - WDRC 1360 Hartford, CT/WSNG 610 Torrington, CT/WWCO 1240 Waterbury/WMMW 1470 Meriden, CT.

WNLK 1350 Norwalk/WSTC 1400 Stamford. News/Talk station owned by Cox. Years ago simulcast also included WINE 940 in Brookfield and was known as Fairfield County News Radio.

Does this count? WILI-FM 98.3 Wilimantic/97.5 W248AB Bolton - CHR Station in unrated market. 97.5 is not owned by 98.3 FM.

WBAB 102.3/WHFM 95.3 - Classic Rocker in Long Island.

WMRD 1150 Middletown, CT/1420 WLIS Old Saybrook, CT - Independently owned station that runs AC Music in AM DRIVE and talk programming the rest of the day. Various Brokered Programs on The Weekend.

WHMP 1400 NorthHampton, MA/WHNP 1600 Springfield, MA (COL = E. Long Meadow< MA)/WHMQ 1240 Greenfield, MA. (Note: 1600 is a daytime only station)

WKZE FM 98.1 & AM 1020. Sharon, CT/Salisbury, CT. - Independently owned AAA station. (1020 is a daytime only station). AM was rumored to flip to Air America, but has not happened yet.

Former Simulcasters:

Modern Rock - 92.7 WLIR/98.5 WDRE - Long Island.
Today 92.7 is WZAA owned by Univision and simulcasts WCAA/NYC.

WNNY 1380 New York City/1230 WNEZ Manchester, CT. - Spanish All News Station.
Today 1380 is WLXE and runs Russian Programming. It is now owned by Multi-Cultural Broacasting.
Today 1230 is WKND and is owned by Freedom Communication. It plays R&B Hits and Oldies.

WAQY-FM 102.1 Springfield, MA/WAQY 1600 AM E. Long Meadow, MA (1600 was a daytime only station) - Classic Rock. Rock 102.
Today 1600 is WHNP and simulcasts WHMP. (See above)

WCCC-FM 106.9 Hartford, CT/WCCC AM 1290 West Hartford, CT. Rock Music.
Today 1290 is WTMI and is the flagship station of the Beethoven.COM Internet Classical Station. Classical Music without the attitude.

WFNW 1380 AM Naugatuck, CT/1530 AM WDJZ Bridgeport, CT. Portugese Station. (1530 is a daytime only station).
Today WFNW is a Spanish station known as Galaxia 1380.
Today WDJZ is seperatly owned station that is a 100% Brokered Station.

Thanks to preset buttons on your car radio, I think most listeners would lock both stations on the presets if they are traveling a lot from one side of the city to the other.
The optimum scenario would be to have the stations near each other, like in Minneapolis. 105.1, 105.3 and 105.9

At home, you would only need one of the two, since the signal would usually be the same for that area.

I think it's kind of silly to take two rimshots and do that. You deprive a smaller market their swap shop, funeral notices and Saturday polka show. :)

>
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom