• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies acts still touring

On "The Conners", Dan and a friend were going to see The Righteous Brother, One Dog Night, The Two Tops and Gladys Knight and the Pip.

Armed with the millions they made from Sirius, The Turtles continue to tour, with the original lead vocalist and his muse: Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan. Thdeeir Happy Together tour usually has several 60s bands:

The Turtles
Chuck Negron formerly of Three Dog Night
Gary Puckett & The Union Gap
The Association
Mark Lindsay, former Lead Singer of Paul Revere & The Raiders
The Cowsills

Armed with the millions they made from Sirius, The Turtles continue to tour, with the original lead vocalist and his muse: Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan. Thdeeir Happy Together tour usually has several 60s bands:

The Turtles
The Association
The Cowsills

So you're saying they don't care that SiriusXM corporate threw a hissy fit after capitulating and removed all Turtles/Flo & Eddie music from the approved-for-airplay list?

I wonder how much of that SXM money they banked and how much went to their lawyers and the taxman. You'd think with that much money from the settlement that they wouldn't need to play a note again for the rest of their lives.

So you're saying they don't care that SiriusXM corporate threw a hissy fit after capitulating and removed all Turtles/Flo & Eddie music from the approved-for-airplay list?

Did that happen? I haven't seen where it's happened. I'm also not sure this was a lump sum payment. Those are usually frowned on for tax purposes. I also think there's an appeal still going on. This is from the NY Times:

"For its past unlicensed use of pre-1972 recordings, the satellite radio company agreed to pay a minimum of $25 million, with up to $15 million in additional payments depending on whether the Turtles prevail in appeals that are pending in the New York and Florida cases. In addition, SiriusXM agreed to a 10-year license for recordings by class members, paying a 5.5 percent royalty rate."

My sense from Mark is he has never toured strictly for the money. He & Howard are very comfortable, and tour because it's what they do. I've also seen that they've donated some of this money to music charities they like.

Did that happen? I haven't seen where it's happened.

Sure did. No Turtles songs played -- except for a couple that somehow sneaked through on Deep Tracks -- since September 2014. They were even ordered eliminated from the in-house countdown shows on '60s on 6. Lou Simon, who was hosting those programs back then, had to play cover versions instead of the originals. The show now just avoids doing weeks that had a Turtles song in the top 30.

Strange to hear a channel that plays just about all the big hits and big acts of the decade treat monster songs like "Happy Together" and "Elenore" as if they never existed, but such is the pettiness of SXM corporate. What should have happened is that the lawyers who told management that running up the white flag was the right way to go should have been eliminated, not the Turtles' classic hits.

The Turtles
The Association
The Cowsills
Classics IV are part of the latest tour. Don't know who is singing lead for them now, as Dennis Yost died a few years ago.

On "The Conners", Dan and a friend were going to see The Righteous Brother, One Dog Night, The Two Tops and Gladys Knight and the Pip.

You forgot The Dave Clark Two, The New Colony Three, and The Temptation. :D

The Platters still tour, although not with any original members. The name of the group The Platters is trademarked, and owned by the founder Herb Reid, who oversees the current touring group. They lay out the whole deal at their website, and even show the trademark certificate:

https://www.theplatters.com

There's a lot of this that goes on with bands from the 50s and 60s.

There's also the hologram show that's being done with Roy Orbison. That one is overseen by his son, who owns the rights.

https://basehologram.com/productions/in-dreams-roy-orbison-in-concert

It is my understanding that as long as at least one original member is still with the group, they can still use the group name.

That is why the (New) Yardbirds became Led Zeppelin in 1968, after bassist Chris Dreja quit early-on, in favor of John Paul Jones. Jimmy Page was not an original Yardbird, and the other members (Dreja, Jim McCarty, and the late Keith Relf) objected to Page continuing the name. The Yardbirds reformed in 1992 with Dreja and McCarty, but with only McCarty as the last original member today.

The Turtles
The Association
The Cowsills

Mark Lindsay announced his retirement several years ago, so it's nice to hear that he didn't follow through with it or is back, whichever it is. He had a local radio show that ended about ten years ago and the announcement was quite sometime after that.

WMXX Kool 103.1 in Jackson, TN is a station that plays oldies from the 60's to the 80's and has concerts every few months of "former members" of different groups. Except for a few solo artists, when they advertise the concerts it will be mostly advertised as "whoever" former member of "whatever group." Is there even a guarantee that they will do the same songs, especially if it was some minor member of the group?

Is there even a guarantee that they will do the same songs, especially if it was some minor member of the group?

People go to these shows to hear the songs, so I'd expect they will do the same songs.

The Marshall Tucker Band has been doing Can't You See for years, and the singer of that song died a long time ago.

People go to these shows to hear the songs, so I'd expect they will do the same songs.

The Marshall Tucker Band has been doing Can't You See for years, and the singer of that song died a long time ago.

David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks, the primary lead singers of the Temptations, were both dead by the time I saw them in 1994. A couple of young guys with similar voices performed instead and the crowd still loved all the old songs just as if Ruffin and Kendricks were still singing them. I was there mainly to see the Four Tops, and probably would have skipped the show entirely if Levi Stubbs were not involved, but I'm sure the show would still have no problem filling the place, because, as you say, the song's the thing when it comes to nostalgia shows.

I seem to recall Rick Springfield is still making appearances. I didn't know it was him, but he ran a karaoke place on "The Goldbergs". Beverly's fantasy was to sing "Jesse's Girl" with her daughter. Actually, her daughter, who worked there, pleaded with her mom not to sing any of the lame mom songs by The Beach Boys, Barbra, or Barry Manilow. Wait, those people were already lame in the 80s? That's my kind of music even all these years later!

Rick didn't want to sing "Jesse's Girl" with Beverly and, in fact, he wasn't very good when he did.

Rick Springfield is still touring and was just here in Knoxville, TN in September. I have seen the Levi-less Four Tops and you just can't have The Four Tops without him. The Temptations have always had different singers throughout their history. There's even a guy here who has a tribute show who claims to have been "one of the Temptations". In reality he sang backup with Ruffin and Kendricks in the 80s. He'll run ads coming close to claiming to be the present-day Temptations. Surprised lawsuits haven't flown

"The Drifters" are often touring in multiple locations at the same time, because the group has had over 60 vocalists in its history, so any of surviving members can put together their own group and call it "The Original Drifters", "The Legendary Drifters", "(name)'s Drifters", etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom