• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oldies 98

I loved oldies 98!
Yeah I know all of the reasons they're not around, but RadioRec got me to thinking.
Where are all the DJ's? Did they die?
I'm not gonna probably get the speling of any of these right but here goes.
Don Kannon died but forget when.
Mike ST. John ?
Charley Bennit?
Christy Springfield? (I know she used to do on-air work at WXTU.
Bob Charger was let go. SO did he just go away?
I know Harvy Holiday retired.
Joe Mama (who did fill-ins on WOGL, and also was on WIOQ, WEJM.)
So grateful to be able to get WVLT "Cruzin 92.1!" I stil have Oldies (with DJs! or is it air personality.
See that's the thing. I understand all of this target demo stuff but... and yes sure you can get the music anywhere, but there is no personality or jingles behind it.
That is the part that makes me sad. But then the fact that I'm about more than just the music is why I'm on this board, right?

if you think they were good then...you should of been around when they started it all in late 1970 as wcau-fm-98 stereo solid gold under the great diamond jim....

I have an aircheck from 1972 with Jim (as "Golden 98 WCAU-FM) automated Oldies.
The thing that surprised me is that they were calling songs released in 1966 Oldies, and badfinger was considered "Future Gold."

@ JH Radio ......
Some info on Dominic 'Don Cannon' Canzano, out of Yonkers NY, just north of the Bronx.
He was an early PD of mine out on Long Island, where he was PD at a few stations before going to Hartford's WDRC. Hartford and Philadelphia had a serendipitous relationship with air talent for quite the while. He brought along with his career what was once called -- pardon the indiscretion, folks ; I mean nothing by it -- his 'strutting streetcorner ginney ego' to the radio side .... fused it with his love of doo-wopp ..... linked it with a terrific pop-radio voice ..... plus an ability to offer somewhat offhand but transparently encouraging praise tor those he hired. Lol -- the one instance I recall most was when I was at Top 40 WPAC on Long Island, and nailed the somewhat sneaky vocal to 'Anyway That You Want Me.'
Mic light goes off. PD Cannon barges into the control room and growls 'Tighten up, Green!' Door slams.
He passed at age 74, in Florida, after retiring from radio. He and Bobby Rydell were golf buddies doan there.

I loved oldies 98!
Yeah I know all of the reasons they're not around, but RadioRec got me to thinking.
Mike ST. John ?
Charley Bennit?
So grateful to be able to get WVLT "Cruzin 92.1!" I stil have Oldies (with DJs! or is it air personality.
See that's the thing. I understand all of this target demo stuff but... and yes sure you can get the music anywhere, but there is no personality or jingles behind it.
That is the part that makes me sad. But then the fact that I'm about more than just the music is why I'm on this board, right?
Charlie Bennett and Christy Springfield both ended up on Oldies 950 WPEN for a year or so until they switched formats around 2005. I don’t know where they went after that. It’s in the back of my mind that Charlie was online briefly with Jim Nettleton on a now defunct site called RadioPhillyStyle but don’t quote me on that. One name you didn’t mention who I thought was great on the air was Bobby Sharpe on WOGL. He left many years ago and I have no idea where he ended up.

don't remember Bobby Sharp but I did forget to mention Hi Lit.
I know he died at some point, not sure how nor when.
Then his sun Sam Lit who used to post on here all the time started Radio Free Philly with a tun of internet only stations.
I had forgotten about the Real Oldies format of WPEN for that year.
In fact I think it was on for a year exactly.
Charly bennit did mornings.

After years of all automation and scoring a 4.0 forced them to add jocks. Long John Wade 6-9, Gene Manning 9-12, Chris Chandler 12-4, Jim 4-6, Joe Niagara then Fennessey then Dan Foley 6-10, the Geat Sunday night 6-10. John and Jim were live Jim until 5 the station was an automated wonder of course I'm talking about the great reign of WCAU-FM not the reincarnation that everyone thinks off but not as good.

After years of all automation and scoring a 4.0 forced them to add jocks. Long John Wade 6-9, Gene Manning 9-12, Chris Chandler 12-4, Jim 4-6, Joe Niagara then Fennessey then Dan Foley 6-10, the Geat Sunday night 6-10. John and Jim were live Jim until 5 the station was an automated wonder of course I'm talking about the great reign of WCAU-FM not the reincarnation that everyone thinks off but not as good.

So what year was this? Before Mike Joseph's "Hot Hits" format I'm assuming.

way before...from mellow hits to Oldies Sept 1970 until GM Jim Keating destroyed them in 1975, flipped it to Disco with dismal ratings until a change to soft hits then Hot Hits...

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 3
I loved oldies 98!
Mike ST. John ?
Charley Bennit?
RadioRec? Are you talking about this?

I never heard of RadioRec until I came across this thread.

I was stationed at Fort Dix, NJ in 1972 and when possible I was glued to "Where all the Good Songs have Gone" WCAU "Golden 98. FM

way before...from mellow hits to Oldies Sept 1970 until GM Jim Keating destroyed them in 1975, flipped it to Disco with dismal ratings until a change to soft hits then Hot Hits...
I remember a few years ago (I hate to say it but a bad carbon copy of WIBGGAGE was born in South Jersey) and their signal didn't get within 50 miles of Philly. Anyway I loved "WCAU FM Golden 98" in 72-73 they had the best jingles (probably the same company that did WOR-FM 98.7)

I remember a few years ago (I hate to say it but a bad carbon copy of WIBGGAGE was born in South Jersey) and their signal didn't get within 50 miles of Philly. Anyway I loved "WCAU FM Golden 98" in 72-73 they had the best jingles (probably the same company that did WOR-FM 98.7)
someone chime in if I missed something, Tom McNally/Chris Coleman lol, oldies WSLT 1520 OC became WIBG when the original WIBG radio 99 went away, they were owned by some radio Guru, forgot his name at the moment, he then put them on the 94.3 tower off route 9 near Avalon, then he moved them to the WSLT FM site 106.3 and switched to 94.3 bringing them closer to AC and WJSE took over 94.3 and switched to 106.3, with an alternative format are these moves Kosher......but believe me the shore WIBBAGE is nothing like the original WIBG 99 or WCAU FM 71-75 under the late great Diamond Jim. WCAU FM was the prototype, after their success with the oldies format most all the CBS FM outlets followed suite in the following year flipping to solid gold radio. WCBS FM kept the format the longest..

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom