• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Okay everyone.. Please participate in this one...

Every year, here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, New Years Eve is the night where all four stations are in the mix:
Majic 94.5
97.9 The Beat
K104
Smooth R&B 105.7

If you know of ANY station, whether in your area or not, please post them. I will be adding them as I find them.

New York City: I've heard that WSKQ will be mixing going into the new year, sure, it may be Spanish Tropical, but the station mixes in a tiny bit of Freestyle, Dance and Hip Hop at times.

New York City: I've heard that WSKQ will be mixing going into the new year, sure, it may be Spanish Tropical, but the station mixes in a tiny bit of Freestyle, Dance and Hip Hop at times.
Remember, for years Mega's highest rated daypart is mid-days, where Alex Sensation has been mixing for years.

And his mixes are not all "tropical". They include bachata, reggaetón and Spanish pop as well as that salsa and merengue.

Remember, for years Mega's highest rated daypart is mid-days, where Alex Sensation has been mixing for years.
Not surprised, just look at the ridiculously boring mess that El Vacilón and El Jukeo have turned into.
And his mixes are not all "tropical". They include bachata, reggaetón and Spanish pop as well as that salsa and merengue.
That is true, HOWEVER, I haven't really heard him play Spanish Pop as of late, unless modern Reggaetón counts as Spanish Pop. Also, isn't Bachata a key part of the Spanish Tropical format nowadays along with Salsa and Merengue?

Not surprised, just look at the ridiculously boring mess that El Vacilón and El Jukeo have turned into.

That is true, HOWEVER, I haven't really heard him play Spanish Pop as of late, unless modern Reggaetón counts as Spanish Pop. Also, isn't Bachata a key part of the Spanish Tropical format nowadays along with Salsa and Merengue?
Some of the biggest hits, like "Despacito" are not really reggaetón... they are pop with reggaetón roots.

Bachata is hard to consider as tropical. It's a genre that was born in the central (El Cibao) area of the Dominican Republic and is really more like a bolero or balada.

Each nation has its own rhythmic format. Salsa is the base for La Zeta and has been since I "pushed the button" on December 29, 1979! Merengue is the base for such formats in the Dominican Republic, where salsa is vastly less important. And in Colombia, the core tropical music is Vallenato, with cumbia being three or four decades out of fashion and salsa being more of a niche, despite a good bunch of Colombian artists.

Some of the biggest hits, like "Despacito" are not really reggaetón... they are pop with reggaetón roots.
Ah, makes sense.
Bachata is hard to consider as tropical. It's a genre that was born in the central (El Cibao) area of the Dominican Republic and is really more like a bolero or balada.
I've always considered it as Tropical since it often gets more airplay than Reggaeton / Dembow (on WXNY and most of the SBS stations at least).

New Years Eve is the biggest day of the year for radio stations to mix, and these are the ones that I caught:
94.7 The Block- NYC
98.3 The Beat - Columbus, Ga.
102 Jamz - Greensboro, NC.
93.5 KDAY - LA
Power 105.1- Kansas City
iPower 92.1/104.1 - Richmond, Va.
101.1 The Bounce - Phoenix
V103 - Atlanta
Hot 107.9 - Atlanta
101.3 Jamz - Charlottesville, Va
107.5 WBLS - NYC
Hot 107.1 - Memphis