• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

October Ratings

Here are the top 5:

Buffalo-Niagara Falls (#59)
12+ Total Pop: 1,011,100 Black: 13.00% Hispanic: 5.00%

Station Format Owner AUG SEP OCT
WBLK-FM Urban Contemporary Townsquare Media 9.1 9.4 9.0
WGRF-FM Classic Rock Cumulus Media, Inc. 8.4 8.2 8.1
WYRK-FM Country Townsquare Media 8.3 7.2 7.8
WHTT-FM Classic Hits Cumulus Media, Inc. 6.7 7.8 6.7
WBEN-AM News/Talk Audacy 7.7 7.2 6.5

WYRK claws its way back up into 3rd. WECK remains in the mid-4s. Not a lot of other significant moves.

As for Rochester...

1. WDKX/103.9 8.7(down .1)
2. WBEE/92.5 8.4(up .2)
3. WCMF/96.5 7.1(down ,7)
4. WHAM/1180 6.1(up 1.0)
5. WRMM/101.3 4.2(down .7)

97 Rock is holding in the 8 range despite a change in middays some months ago that some thought would be disabling, and WECK is stringing together some good months, inching up.

This poster thought WBEN with its right wing slant would have done better given the run-up to local elections, particularly the County Executive race. Same for WGR with the Bills and Sabres seasons in play. BTW, was not the republican candidate for County Executive once a WBEN sales rep?

Nielsen at long last has the WTSS information line straightened out.

Both WBUF and WLKK remain consistently mediocre. WHTT returns to a number closer to its baseline. Poor, dear WWKB ... once a legacy. Put a wreath on it, light a candle and hold a common burial in union with WHLD, WWWS, WEBR and WLVL.

Nielsen at long last has the WTSS information line straightened out.
The "information line" which I believe you mean to be the owner and/or format data is not provided to websites by Nielsen. They provide calls and 6+/12+ shares and cume totals. Each site puts in the owner and the format using their descriptions.

This is why on each website that publishes ratings you will find differences in the format names and, sometimes, even the owner (such as the licensee vs. the parent corporation).

97 Rock is holding in the 8 range despite a change in middays some months ago that some thought would be disabling
Why? The jocks don't pick the music on this kind of format. It may be a blow to the former hosts ego, but the people who are still listening to this station never noticed a change This is the same station that fired their morning show a couple years ago. They too were expendable. The playlist hasn't changed in 20 years, so folks who want to hear this product know what to expect. During middays, people working in a factory or collision shop can't hear the jock anyway. The diary ratings system benefits stations that have longevity.

It doesn't appear that 96.1 has picked up a significant number of former 102.5 listeners. I'm sure Town Square expected better ratings by now even with the debacle of having to stop using the STAR name...

Last edited:
Why? The jocks don't pick the music on this kind of format. It may be a blow to the former hosts ego, but the people who are still listening to this station never noticed a change This is the same station that fired their morning show a couple years ago. They too were expendable. The playlist hasn't changed in 20 years, so folks who want to hear this product know what to expect. During middays, people working in a factory or collision shop can't hear the jock anyway. The diary ratings system benefits stations that have longevity.

It doesn't appear that 96.1 has picked up a significant number of former 102.5 listeners. I'm sure Town Square expected better ratings by now even with the debacle of having to stop using the STAR name...
Just to set the record straight, 96.1 is now top 5 25-54 adults AND up to #4 with our target of 25-54 women. (Tremendous growth after 90+ days) Plus, Christmas music isn’t even factored in yet. Nobody cares about 12+, not even Nielsen— which is why they share them publicly for free. No value in them…

I understand it’s all the non-subscribing public gets to see—-so, it inflates the ”value” on discussion boards like this, but it’s truly distorted reality. We all know that 12 year olds and 80 year olds don’t have the same value to advertisers as consumers in the desired primary demos. You can have a 100 share of 70+ but you’re not going to make a whole lot on advertising dollars—and that‘s the objective. Just my two cents…

Just to set the record straight, 96.1 is now top 5 25-54 adults AND up to #4 with our target of 25-54 women. (Tremendous growth after 90+ days) Plus, Christmas music isn’t even factored in yet. Nobody cares about 12+, not even Nielsen— which is why they share them publicly for free. No value in them…
You make valid points, but Radio better find a way to SELL the over 60 demos. That's all they will have left. WBEN, 97 Rock and WECK must certainly have mostly White Men over 60. Solid ratings, but undesirable demos. Sure, the 12 plus are just an overview of total listeners. They do confirm that WBUF and The Wolf have very few...

Last edited:
You make valid points, but Radio better find a way to SELL the over 60 demos. That's all they will have left. WBEN, 97 Rock and WECK must certainly have mostly White Men over 60. Solid ratings, but undesirable demos. Sure, the 12 plus are just an overview of total listeners. They do confirm that WBUF and The Wolf have very few...
When stations fail you'll be able to pick up a signal for pocket change and show us your programming chops. I'm shocked that you haven't submitted a plan to any of those troubled owners searching for salvation - and not the EMF kind. It's time for you to show us all how radio should be done. Heck, you could put together an online station as a proof of concept. C'mon, 'Bolt, we need solutions.

Sideband Sidebar: Classic Rock appeals to Men 18-34; in many cases, it's music they've not heard a lot of, even if it was playing in Gramp's car when they were kids as he shuttled them to soccer games. WECK specializes in selling over fifty, direct, and WBEN has been at the game so long that it's almost automatic ... although nothing is automatic these days and hasn't been for quite some time.

Sideband Sidebar: Classic Rock appeals to Men 18-34; in many cases, it's music they've not heard a lot of, even if it was playing in Gramp's car when they were kids as he shuttled them to soccer games. WECK specializes in selling over fifty, direct, and WBEN has been at the game so long that it's almost automatic ... although nothing is automatic these days and hasn't been for quite some time.
I would be skeptical that many 18--34 year old Men are listening to Classic Rock in most of the country. There are always some outliers, but they would not be the norm...

You make valid points, but Radio better find a way to SELL the over 60 demos. w...
They do. The issue with 55+ is mostly limited to agency buys, which are not the majority in markets the size of Buffalo. Per an industry source, 80% of radio revenue in Buffalo is local.

Local direct accounts don't subscribe to ratings. Even if sellers from various stations mention Nielsen, they know that direct accounts look at service, creative help, and, of course, the cash register to evaluate media choices.

I would be skeptical that many 18--34 year old Men are listening to Classic Rock in most of the country. There are always some outliers, but they would not be the norm...
Because, principally, of the lyrics, a lot of Urban, Churban and Rhythmic CHR listeners don't use FCC licensed radio. So the 18-34 demo is more an more made up of listeners to AC, Country, Urban AC, classic rock and other formats.

Remember, the useless numbers Nielsen gives us for free are share, not rating. No matter how few people in an age range are listening to radio still, there will always be 100 shares.

I can personally attest to the fact that a fair amount of the 18-34 demographic listens to classic rock. I'm a bit surprised by it myself but it seems as though there has been a resurgence of kids more specifically around the ages 18-21 who are listening to the music of their mother and father's generation. It's the will to be different which I think a lot of kids feel nowadays and music is an alternative for them.

Me too. I went to a Lynyrd Skynyrd show and everybody in the audience was under 40. They are revered by under-40s.
What year was that? The original band members are all dead.

Some people under 40 also like Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and Beethoven.
Unless you can provide some actual data that says the majority of 18--34 year olds are listening to Classic Rock, I remain skeptical. Taylor Swift is the star of the moment. Younger people may attend concerts just for the social interaction irrelevant of what artist is performing...

Last edited:

They're on tour right now. They're playing a show New Year's Eve that will be televised:

You can be skeptical all you want. Nobody can tell you anything.

Some people under 40 also like Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and Beethoven.
Unless you can provide some actual data that says the majority of 18--34 year olds are listening to Classic Rock, I remain skeptical. Taylor Swift is the star of the moment. Younger people may attend concerts just for the social interaction irrelevant of what artist is performing...
Maybe if you had any contacts or friends in radio who had access to an actual rating book you'd have some clue about reality as opposed to your opinion. Perhaps, if you did a little research you might find some numbers that might be pertinent. For example, here are some national format-related numbers. I'll tell you this much: They don't directly reflect Buffalo/Niagara Falls ratings and revenue doesn't directly correlate to ratings in many markets thanks to legacy stations and effectiveness of advertising on stations that aren't just heard, they're listened to.

They're on tour right now. They're playing a show New Year's Eve that will be televised:

You realize that this is not the original band. There are a lot of Rock bands that tour. Some have one or no original members left, but still use the name that may be recognizable...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom