• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

October PPM

Similar to agricultural communities like Fresno, CA. Yakima has been experiencing a growing Latin gang presence starting in the early 2000's. Rather than accusing me of making a racist comment, maybe look up the statistics. Or would you like me to post a link, since you have no talent?

When a market is over 50% Hispanic, one would expect a rather proportionate percentage of everything to be Hispanic: drug users, politicians, gang bangers, business owners.

The increase in gang activities has to do with social issues, such as California's shrinking middle class, increasing poverty, sanctuary cities and the resultant increase in violence.

Yakima has been suffering from crime waves one way or another since the '80s. It was known for a boom in cocaine usage and sales back then, apparently even 60 Minutes came to Yakima to report on it one time. I wish I could find a video of it. Gangs have been around in Yakima since then or maybe a little later.
It's a 52% Hispanic market, I understand. Many have taken on careers that the average Joe works in and have succeeded in them. Yakima has plenty of Hispanic teachers, lawyers and doctors (Mariano Morales sells airtime about every 30 minutes on local TV for his personal injury/accident law office), and the graduation rates are getting higher. There are a lot of hard-working Hispanics in the Yakima Valley and I applaud them. We've had farmworkers here for decades, as early as the Bracero program in the '40s. And Cesar Chavez came by Yakima at least once, I think around 1970.

That doesn't mean it's paradise. Shootings still happen weekly, many fatal; stabbings occur often on the poor side of town (just tonight a stabbing near 16th.), robberies too (just last night Wapato's Wolf Den gas station got robbed at gunpoint). And of course the gangs...which I worry with the COVID closures, virtual learning and low turnout rate (Yakima SD still reports alarming low student involvement in virtual Zoom learning), are growing again. Much of the Yakima district is low-income too.
Also, Yakima has always been an isolated region. A medium town that's 2 1/2 hours to Seattle or 3 to Portland. Doesn't seem like a long drive, but for some it is. Not as much to do in the Yakima area as in Seattle-Tacoma or Portland due to size. Taking this as normal time and not during COVID - there's usually a skating rink, a bowling alley, one locally-owned arcade, occasional openings of an ice rink, the Central Washington State Fair each year, and parks/rec/pools. And of course outdoor activities like fishing, hunting and nearby hiking opportunities.

Nevertheless, that's how I feel about the city I lived in from 2014-19.

Not surprising that News and Talk are on a roll in Seattle with KIRO, KUOW, KOMO and KTTH with some of their highest ratings ever. KZOK, KISW, KJR and KPLZ having some nice recent success as well. Just a tough time right now for CHR in many West Coast PPM markets and very tough for Country radio stations. Usually in an election year news/talk stations get a nice bounce and then fade after the election. Wonder if that will be the case this year or will Covid-19 continue to make news stations top of mind? Noticed KRWM and KSWD are having issues, wonder how soon after Halloween they will wait to flip all Christmas? When you look year to year quite a bit of change in Seattle. KQMV and KRWM no longer on top, Country fading and some other stations seeing a nice rebound in ratings.

With CHR and Country I wonder how much of the drop is due to coronavirus-related issues, vs. drops in general quality of the music, i.e. no huge stars propelling the genres.

PS, I notice that BIN's KHHO-AM didn't even draw a rating. Would this have been because they didn't subscribe?

With CHR and Country I wonder how much of the drop is due to coronavirus-related issues, vs. drops in general quality of the music, i.e. no huge stars propelling the genres.

I would agree for CHR but not for country. Country artists have been extremely active promoting their music at radio and online. There have been major releases during the past few months. Several country stations in other markets (Phoenix and St. Louis) have seen tremendous increases, and KNIX Phoenix for the first time in decades is #1.

It's more likely the reaction to the changes in programming at The Wolf, with mid-days and evenings now coming from outside the market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom