• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Observations Regarding KKZZ Port Hueneme

I wasn’t sure whether to post this here or on the Los Angeles radio board. If need be, Frank Berry or David Eduardo can feel free to move it as they see fit.

I noticed this past Friday that Gold Coast Broadcasting-owned KKZZ-AM 1520 in Port Hueneme (which is in coastal Ventura County, for those who don’t know) has dropped its simulcast with co-owned KCAQ “Q95.9”, which it had carried since November 2018, and is now broadcasting some Spanish-language format. It appears to be a hybrid format consisting of talk and music because when I first tuned in I heard what sounded like a call-in show, and then after the top-of-the-hour ID, I heard “Hello” by Adele. I’m not sure what followed, because I tuned away after that.

My question regarding the station’s transmitter power is whether broadcasting at a higher power than authorized by the FCC? Its day power is 10 kW and its night power is 1 kW. The reason I ask is because I used to only be able to hear it on my car radio right along the coast, such as in Playa del Rey, near LAX Airport, but now I’m hearing it farther inland, for example, in my neck of the woods, near Beverly Hills. I searched Radio-Locator and the FCC database for any construction permits listed for KKZZ to increase its power, but didn’t see any.

I wasn’t sure whether to post this here or on the Los Angeles radio board. If need be, Frank Berry or David Eduardo can feel free to move it as they see fit.

I noticed this past Friday that Gold Coast Broadcasting-owned KKZZ-AM 1520 in Port Hueneme (which is in coastal Ventura County, for those who don’t know) has dropped its simulcast with co-owned KCAQ “Q95.9”, which it had carried since November 2018, and is now broadcasting some Spanish-language format. It appears to be a hybrid format consisting of talk and music because when I first tuned in I heard what sounded like a call-in show, and then after the top-of-the-hour ID, I heard “Hello” by Adele. I’m not sure what followed, because I tuned away after that.

My question regarding the station’s transmitter power is whether broadcasting at a higher power than authorized by the FCC? Its day power is 10 kW and its night power is 1 kW. The reason I ask is because I used to only be able to hear it on my car radio right along the coast, such as in Playa del Rey, near LAX Airport, but now I’m hearing it farther inland, for example, in my neck of the woods, near Beverly Hills. I searched Radio-Locator and the FCC database for any construction permits listed for KKZZ to increase its power, but didn’t see any.

First, this is the right place for the post as Ventura / Oxnard is a separate market from LA. No problem here... you did it right.

Upping power on an AM station is fairly expensive and complex. First, the rule is that it takes 4 times the power to double the coverage. Second, to be noticable by the average listener, that 10 kw station would have to increase to the 50 kw level... talking about $200 k for a new transmitter, plus all the additional electrical panel upgrades, and larger coax and insulation components throughout. Likely a 10 kw capable phaser would need to be redone, likely more than a transmitter.

And putting 50 kw on 1520 is about like putting 1 to 2 kw on 550. It's a waste today as AM does so badly.

Remember, back in the later 70's and early 80's KACY was 50 kw daytime. It's fairly unlikely that the old transmitter was kept operational and even less likely it would be efficient to use now with $0.16 the commercial kw hour and those transmitters being only about 40% or so efficient. That would mean a $10,000 a month electric bill or something in that range.

So my guess is that the the propagation was good that day. The coastal areas being next to salt water can carry weak signals a long way... I remember hearing 1600 AM WKWF from Key West on Key Biscayne, about 140 air mils, almost all over salt water... and a 500 watt station.

It would not bee too unusual for 10 kw to be heard, likely with a lot of noise, a bit farther inland... so my guess is that the station is just propagating well. They might have done some routine maintenance, but keep in mind that the whole station is likely not worth more than a couple of hundred thousand and can't be billing much with some kind of brokered format. I've heard guesses that it bills less than $10 k a month, and the market has about a -2% negative growth rate.

Replacing an aging ground system, while not cheap, can improve coverage nicely and coupled with salt water and ground moisture content, can make a significant difference in coverage.

They have had some STA's over the last couple years to operate at a variance from licensed parameters.. never more, but always less.. and that could include lower power or non directional signal. I've heard them in Wyoming at sunrise twice this past winter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom