• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Oasis

Priceless...it's nice that 2 independent broadcasters are trying to do something. Plenty of room for both... I just think it's stupid to play Sade back to back with Bobby Vee
Agreed. These kinds of train wrecks are hard to take. I’d prefer to see them stick to the 60s and 70s and skip the later stuff, which is already receiving plenty of airplay elsewhere.

I too enjoyed the classic country format even though I’m not a big country fan. It seemed they did it well. That said, there’s a void in both Cincinnati and Dayton for a classic hits station that focuses on the 60s and 70s. Sure it’s not going to get big numbers or generate tons of revenue but I don’t know what else you do with that signal. Aren’t both markets already oversaturated with country? And the cows and corn and the people who live among them can already hear plenty of country signals.

One thing that frustrates me…..everyone complains about corporate radio and cookie cutter formats, but when a small locally owned broadcaster attempts to be something a little different they are so often criticized. You’re right, Marty. It’s nice to see two independents trying to do something.

Agreed. These kinds of train wrecks are hard to take. I’d prefer to see them stick to the 60s and 70s and skip the later stuff, which is already receiving plenty of airplay elsewhere.

I too enjoyed the classic country format even though I’m not a big country fan. It seemed they did it well. That said, there’s a void in both Cincinnati and Dayton for a classic hits station that focuses on the 60s and 70s. Sure it’s not going to get big numbers or generate tons of revenue but I don’t know what else you do with that signal. Aren’t both markets already oversaturated with country? And the cows and corn and the people who live among them can already hear plenty of country signals.

One thing that frustrates me…..everyone complains about corporate radio and cookie cutter formats, but when a small locally owned broadcaster attempts to be something a little different they are so often criticized. You’re right, Marty. It’s nice to see two independents trying to do something.
I like The Oasis and I like WDJO as well but I'm old so it figures.

Sorry Keys, but being a local broadcaster doesn't give you a pass on bad radio. The Classic Country format was spot on. Whoever was programming it did a great job and that's why 105.9 was a Top 10 station in Cincinnati for the first time ever, I believe. This Oasis format isn't anywhere close to that. When you tune in to another small local broadcaster - WDJO - it's obviously presenting itself as an Oldies station. It plays Oldies music, has Oldies imaging and jingles. There's no mistaking what they are. Too bad they don't have a better signal. But Oasis can't decide if it's Oldies, Classic Hits, or Yacht Rock. And the klunky, meaningless slogan "Where the music went" doesn't define anything. It does well in Dayton by default. There is no other station playing the 60s and 70s. And it is having no effect on WGRR at all. It needs to be better defined and imaged for it to grow. If they could put WDJO on 105.9, that would be a powerhouse.

Sorry Keys, but being a local broadcaster doesn't give you a pass on bad radio. The Classic Country format was spot on. Whoever was programming it did a great job and that's why 105.9 was a Top 10 station in Cincinnati for the first time ever, I believe. This Oasis format isn't anywhere close to that. When you tune in to another small local broadcaster - WDJO - it's obviously presenting itself as an Oldies station. It plays Oldies music, has Oldies imaging and jingles. There's no mistaking what they are. Too bad they don't have a better signal. But Oasis can't decide if it's Oldies, Classic Hits, or Yacht Rock. And the klunky, meaningless slogan "Where the music went" doesn't define anything. It does well in Dayton by default. There is no other station playing the 60s and 70s. And it is having no effect on WGRR at all. It needs to be better defined and imaged for it to grow. If they could put WDJO on 105.9, that would be a powerhouse.
Good point about WDJO on 105.9. Both stations have their financial issues. A merger would make since

Part of the problem is 105.9 having a bad signal. I can't pick up 105.9 in Bellevue anymore.

It was top 40 briefly in the mid-'80s and I could pick it up in Highland Heights, but even back then, the signal wasn't great.

Part of the problem is 105.9 having a bad signal. I can't pick up 105.9 in Bellevue anymore.

It was top 40 briefly in the mid-'80s and I could pick it up in Highland Heights, but even back then, the signal wasn't great.
Bellevue is right across the river from most of the big FM sticks. It shouldn't be a surprise that you have issues getting signals further out like 105.9 or WGRR, as you always say. Just driving up I-71 past the Channel 12 and 9 towers is a static mess when listening to any of the stations NOT on those towers.

I understand what you're saying the signal is much stronger in the Dayton Market than it is in the Cincinnati Market. I live in Centerville and I can get it loud and clear on all of my radios even the cheap ones and I have a friend who lives north of Dayton in Tipp City who gets it just fine up there. maybe they should quit trying to identify with the Cincinnati market and go all in on Dayton. And as has been pointed out, Dayton has no other outlet for 60's and 70's. No WGRR and no WDJO

BREAKING - station has been sold to Relevant Radio (Catholic broadcaster) for $4.5 million.

That's unfortunate. Looks like The Oasis has built a decent sized following in SW Ohio.

BREAKING - station has been sold to Relevant Radio (Catholic broadcaster) for $4.5 million.

That's unfortunate. Looks like The Oasis has built a decent sized following in SW Ohio.
That sucks the last thing we need is another religious radio station.and btw I think that article is wrong don't they own 910AM Middletown and 740AM Newport the former WNOP?

That sucks the last thing we need is another religious radio station.and btw I think that article is wrong don't they own 910AM Middletown and 740AM Newport the former WNOP?
No. Sacred Heart Radio owns 740 and 910. This is Relevant Radio (formerly known as Immaculate Heart Media), a different Catholic network.

The FCC needs to step in.
It's a shame. They were doing well in Dayton.
I wonder if someone else will pick up 60"s and 70's if I remember right I think Big 106.5 was doing ok with 60's and 70's before they too were gobbled up by a religious group ( was it salem?)

The FCC doesn't pick formats. Can you imagine the howl from MAGAland if the FCC disallowed a sale based on it being a religious format?
You are definitely right nothing's going to stop this. It looks like any station not owned by one of the corporate behemoths is going to end up with a religious format

Back
Top Bottom