• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NY Times Article on Challenges Facing NPR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've worked a number of top 40s from towns to cities and news was always a huge negative. Classical radio listeners do not care for news or even traffic reports on their station because they consider it an oasis or escape from the world around them, stress and such. Even the small market station I work for does a minute of world and national on the hour and a minute of state news on the half hour. We only do local at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 weekday mornings. We really target 35+. In fact, I have a couple of clients that advertise with me but won't play the station in their store because they don't want to hear the 60 second casts, claiming it's mostly about political parties in government or what loss of life has happened. There's tons of research that proves this. It is not radio abandoning news. It is the listeners saying they don't want to hear it. That's easily evidenced by music stations moving news to :50 in drive times because that's the least listened to quarter hour back in the day of written dairies.

Even when percentages were dropped in 1981, I was in a small fairly remote market where you'd think they'd want hourly network news. We went to 35 two minute casts a week (7 a day M-F) including local, national, world, state, sports and weather. Listeners said they preferred the fast updates (easy to survey in a county of 3,400). We beat out the station in the next town south that stayed with 5 minutes of network an hour. That was 1981. Again, we didn't give up on news, the listeners didn't want to hear it even back then. Now it's even more pronounced. Most music stations listeners don't want anything but music.

You can say radio gave up on news but I lived it and still do and that's simply not the case. Listeners don't want news on music formats. If anything, a minute or two hourly in morning drive unless something very major happens.

Bunch of things here.

My point here is that you're asserting a general principle. An example would do, though it would not be entirely conclusive. (Mega 98.3 isn't that, for reasons I'll get into.) I'm not asking for an inductive proof here. Knowing the process is only a partial answer. And how do you know that your own unconscious bias - or commitment to received dogma - isn't entering the picture?
Because good research operations do both recruit specs and questionnaires in consort with a team of researchers and a station team.

A professional research organization does have the experience to know words and terms that are polarizing. We even know how the staff had to dress when we did in person AMTs and perceptuals so that there was as little as possible bias based on the interviewee's perception of the interviewer.
Likewise, I'm seeing assertions of a general principle but then I'm told that "every case is different". The two concepts are contradictory.
Every research project is unique. The demos may change (and, of course, with every passing year, the target loses one aged out year and gets one aged-in year. The competition is different in every market, so the P2 or P3 station we may want some listeners from changes. The mix of men to women may change for several reasons. They ethnicity of the panel may need to be changed if the market is changing. The sample pods of music used to include or exclude participants during the recruit have to change to reflect changes in music.
I saw the web page but, to be honest, it appears Mega 98.3 had more problems than just running newscasts. It's a multivariate equation and your client modified multiple variables at the same time. So it's harder, much harder, to tell which one made the difference. Singling out news as being the problem would itself be indicative of a potential bias.
The client did not "modify variables". I did. I was the PD and consultant for 6 years, right down to doing airchecks on the phone nearly every day with one or two talents (we had 7 fulltime and 4 weekenders).

The FM station never had news. Its sister station was all news and talk, with a news staff of over 60 people. It was the #1 AM station in the market, above all the others including 10 50 kw Southern Cone clear channel stations of 50 kw (we were the only 100 kw station in the market).

The previous format was all English language AC music. It was in a crowded field dominated by several other stations and poorly executed before Emmis bought it.
I know I'm being annoying here, but I feel like I'm asking honest questions and being confronted with rhetorical tricks in response. It's frustrating. I will admit to my own opinions here, based on my own experience at a research company (small, local to Houston).
The radio research companies are all either national or international. They specialize in radio research and most have been doing it for decades.
The linkage here is the vacuum that commercial radio has left for news coverage. The news/public affairs/politics coverage also seems to gain more listener support than arts-intensive coverage. Some public radio outfits are able to do both (Colorado Public Radio, Iowa Public Radio, KCUR, KBIA/KMUC, etc.) Others, when faced with a choice, pick news/public affairs/politics because that's where the greater support seems to be. Or the classical/arts coverage goes on a HD-2 channel. As for the interest in arts coverage, though, the demographic is definitely aging.
Aging and always thin. I started in 1959 at an AM/FM where the FM was all jazz and we could go months without a single ad. And we were owned by an experienced group operator. You can't do niche formats without either listener support of subsidies.
At some point, someone has to decide whether a radio station offers a service because it's a public good - even if interest in it is limited - or whether considerations of listener interest trump everything else even if means that certain forms of public service go unaddressed.
Presenting nice music to listen to while you drive or at work is a public service. There are many listeners who only want that and would not today, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago have wanted. The FCC force the news and Public Affairs thing on us, and even when stations tried to make those PA shows entertaining... nobody listened.
It's a direct consequence of being in a society that dumped most non-transactional considerations for broadcasting in stages, starting 40-ish years ago, in favor of a purer form of capitalism.
Interesting, but true audience based (not record sale based or jukebox or request based) music research began around 1980 with Auditorium Music Tests (AMTs) and started in the mid-70's at a few stations (KRIZ, KCBQ were first). So in the approximate time frame you mention, stations started actually researching listeners in a formal manner and they discovered that all that news and talk clutter was venomous to music based stations.
That affected public radio, too. I'm just describing it here; I'm not saying one form of the system is better than any other; I don't see the clock turning back, either. But we have to learn how to live with it somehow...or just give up and tell people to open up their streaming app (where the economic model seems to be even shakier).
And where popular podcasts cume weekly about what a mid-range station in Peoria does (since there are no music podcasts, it's really a poor comparison). Music streams of a single format or single XM music channel don't even get the listening of a big NYC or LA station.

The economic model is bad because there are so many channels that none have astounding audiences.

I've worked a number of top 40s from towns to cities and news was always a huge negative. Classical radio listeners do not care for news or even traffic reports on their station because they consider it an oasis or escape from the world around them, stress and such.
That is one of the "biggies" that we see in station research.
Even the small market station I work for does a minute of world and national on the hour and a minute of state news on the half hour. We only do local at 6:30, 7:30 and 8:30 weekday mornings. We really target 35+. In fact, I have a couple of clients that advertise with me but won't play the station in their store because they don't want to hear the 60 second casts, claiming it's mostly about political parties in government or what loss of life has happened. There's tons of research that proves this. It is not radio abandoning news. It is the listeners saying they don't want to hear it. That's easily evidenced by music stations moving news to :50 in drive times because that's the least listened to quarter hour back in the day of written dairies.
Yep. On a personality morning show, brief, well written and selected news (selected for audience relevancy, of course) works but outside of that, nada.
Even when percentages were dropped in 1981, I was in a small fairly remote market where you'd think they'd want hourly network news. We went to 35 two minute casts a week (7 a day M-F) including local, national, world, state, sports and weather. Listeners said they preferred the fast updates (easy to survey in a county of 3,400). We beat out the station in the next town south that stayed with 5 minutes of network an hour. That was 1981. Again, we didn't give up on news, the listeners didn't want to hear it even back then. Now it's even more pronounced. Most music stations listeners don't want anything but music.
Yep. And even in mornings, short news "updates" are the key. Tell people about what has happened since they watched TV last night. And be brief. If they want more, they know where to go and they don't expect it from us.
You can say radio gave up on news but I lived it and still do and that's simply not the case. Listeners don't want news on music formats. If anything, a minute or two hourly in morning drive unless something very major happens.
Totally agree. Updates are the key so listeners think that you won't let them be left out of something important, but without boring them to death to changing stations.

Same news in less time - how about pre-recording the news a few minutes before playing it on the radio and use the "pharmaceutical disclaimer" pitch corrected speed-up tech, the news is still "new" but is potentially less of a disruption in the "flow" of music on the radio station.

Kirk Bayne

As we've been saying throughout this thread. there isn't always a connection between ratings and revenue in public radio. Contrary to the view in the NY Times article. Today another highly rated NPR station, KUOW Seattle, announced it will lay off staff:

There's been a laziness in the system, a willingness to simply accept the status quo, and I think that could also affect ratings and donations.
I saw some interesting data from a consulting firm that specializes in not-for-profits, including media. This data was paid for, so I'm not at liberty to give specifics, but likely some of the data is, or will be out in drips and drabs online. To paraphrase one interesting observation; since mid-December of 2023, the general public has seen an onslaught of donation pitches from all forms of organizations via radio, TV, and even places like grocery stores and fast food (round up your purchase to donated). Everything from giving to organizations that rescue street kids, abused and neglected pets, combat veterans, hungry children, band instruments, and so on. Since the holidays, the number of pitches has increased incrementally. It's all culminated into what's known as 'Donor Fatigue'. NFP's like public radio and TV stations that conduct quarterly fundraising events have become partially washed over by all the new charities doing co-ops with retailers, restaurants, radio and TV. Something like 72% of those surveyed have just become sick and tired of donating, and feel this past year they've given enough.

Public and commercial radio are not mirrored in ratings/revenue but the listener numbers being as high as they can be matters just like commercial radio because more listeners means more donors, better underwriting rates, more businesses interested in Underwriting and even many grants are looking for as big an impact as they can get. But it is still a different animal from commercial radio.

Bunch of things here.

My point here is that you're asserting a general principle. An example would do, though it would not be entirely conclusive. (Mega 98.3 isn't that, for reasons I'll get into.) I'm not asking for an inductive proof here. Knowing the process is only a partial answer. And how do you know that your own unconscious bias - or commitment to received dogma - isn't entering the picture?
It depends on what data point is being gathered. For example, the client might want to understand what impact of reporting news during a morning drive show that features a combination of music and talk/banter. There are several ways one could present the question to a panel. In my example, it wouldn't be unusual to include all four questions and then weigh the resulting answers.
* 'Are you opposed to having some form of hourly newscast while listening to a music radio station, if so why, if not, why not?'
* 'When listening to your favorite morning station on the way to work, do you prefer news or news topics to be included?'
* ' Do you enjoy a morning radio host that includes discussion of national or world news topics while driving to work?'
* ' Would interrupting music for local or national news stories cause you to tune to another station or stream?'
Likewise, I'm seeing assertions of a general principle but then I'm told that "every case is different". The two concepts are contradictory.
Much depends on what questions you're trying to answer. Also, what is the priority of the questions being asked, because there will be more answers thrown out than included in the final results.
The linkage here is the vacuum that commercial radio has left for news coverage. The news/public affairs/politics coverage also seems to gain more listener support than arts-intensive coverage.
That's because of how much detail and echo chamber for 'news' is already available on the Internet. Radio doesn't stand a chance at competing with even pablum-called news found on TikTok.
Some public radio outfits are able to do both (Colorado Public Radio, Iowa Public Radio, KCUR, KBIA/KMUC, etc.) Others, when faced with a choice, pick news/public affairs/politics because that's where the greater support seems to be.
As I mentioned; all media organizations no matter what actual or interpreted political slant are suffering the same financial woes. One old form of media can't change its fate by being two-faced. If anything, all that does is drive an existing listener base to the competition. In that case, streaming or social media for news.
At some point, someone has to decide whether a radio station offers a service because it's a public good - even if interest in it is limited - or whether considerations of listener interest trump everything else even if means that certain forms of public service go unaddressed.
But you're missing a key point in that statement. The vast majority of NPR-affiliated stations in the top 50 markets are bouncing within top five of the ratings in sought-after demographics 18-54 M/F. You seem to be under the assumption that listening to NPR or public stations is down, as compared with five years ago. It's isn't. What's down is national and local underwriting and listener donations, just like national and direct advertising is to commercial stations. Doesn't matter what the format or city.

But you're missing a key point in that statement. The vast majority of NPR-affiliated stations in the top 50 markets are bouncing within top five of the ratings in sought-after demographics 18-54 M/F. You seem to be under the assumption that listening to NPR or public stations is down, as compared with five years ago. It's isn't. What's down is national and local underwriting and listener donations, just like national and direct advertising is to commercial stations. Doesn't matter what the format or city.
I actually wasn't making that assumption, but I will say that listener interest that can't be converted into some form of financial support makes the survival of a public-radio outlet less likely. I first wrote "success" rather than "survival" but that then gets into how "success" is defined for public radio. I've had enough of rhetorical games this week, so I'll leave it there.

Public and commercial radio are not mirrored in ratings/revenue but the listener numbers being as high as they can be matters just like commercial radio because more listeners means more donors, better underwriting rates, more businesses interested in Underwriting and even many grants are looking for as big an impact as they can get. But it is still a different animal from commercial radio.
Maybe from a local-direct angle, but from a national sponsorship perspective, commercial and non-comms are seeing very similar downturns by percentage. Rep firms just aren't as interested in traditional media, and have even backed way down for social media.

Sen. Ted Cruz has sent a letter to CPB to justify its funding of NPR:

Again we mentioned this here CPB funding goes to the local public radio and tv affiliates and yes where is Senator Cruz going with this.

Cruz says Berliner’s departure and a refusal to acknowledge a “deep-seated partisanship” reveals a “gradual, but marked, transformation at NPR from an open-minded media outlet to one almost entirely beholden to partisan journalism” and that NPR’s coverage has skewed significantly towards liberal perspectives. “The drastic change in the ideological makeup of NPR’s audience reflects this shift,” Cruz writes in the letter. He also cites NPR’s lack of coverage of the Hunter Biden laptop story as evidence that the network focuses on stories that align with a liberal agenda.

Because CPB provides funding to public radio, Cruz says it is obligated to provide balanced news coverage. He is asking the corporation that gets federal funding and then passes it on to public broadcasters to justify its continued NPR funding. Cruz is also seeking information about whether CPB has audited NPR and what it would take to get it to take more steps to increase its audit capacities. Cruz is also looking for specifics on how much federal funding has gone directly to NPR during the past decade, and what percentage of the network’s budget comes from taxpayers. He is also asking for copies of correspondence between CPB and NPR President Katherine Maher.

Again we mentioned this here CPB funding goes to the local public radio and tv affiliates and yes where is Senator Cruz going with this.
One must remember that like many politicians; Senator Cruz is mainly looking to get his quote on social media or one of the 'conservative' cable shows. Other than getting out of the cold during the Big Texas Freeze, I don't think Ted is passionate about anything else.

As we've been saying throughout this thread. there isn't always a connection between ratings and revenue in public radio. Contrary to the view in the NY Times article. Today another highly rated NPR station, KUOW Seattle, announced it will lay off staff:

KUOW saw their revenues go up, apparently, but their costs also went up even more. Looks like inflation is taking its toll on public radio, like it is on everyone else.

From this article in the Current:
"According to the most recent financial statement available on KUOW’s website, total expenses at the station rose from about $20.6 million in 2022 to $24.1 million in 2023. Total revenue and support, meanwhile, only increased from about $21.3 million in 2022 to $21.7 million in 2023."

This is in (generally) well-heeled Seattle.

Link to the article.:

Kelly A, I agree revenue is down in public radio too. Most I've bothered to look at are down by about a third in Underwriting but most I've seen have had less loss from donations, maybe 5-10%. Even those like Minnesota Public Radio are not exempt.

The 'donation' fatigue is something I think we are on the tip of the iceberg. I see that fatigue growing. Some new creative ideas on fundraising could be a gamechanger.

The House of Representatives has launched an official investigation into the charges of political bias at NPR:

Once thing that caught my attention was the committee is asking for political party affiliations from all employees and board members. If I'm an employee, I would take offense to being asked what I see as an inappropriate question. It comes off as similar to the House Un-American Activities hearings of the 1950s, seeking to root out communists. People are being targeted because of their political ideology, which is improper.

House Republicans are also asking NPR to provide Congress with information about how many Republicans, Democrats and independents are employed on its news staff, and what percentage of NPR’s Board of Directors were registered Republicans during the past five years. It is also seeking information about whether NPR has taken any steps to bring more conservatives into its newsroom. Committee members are also asking NPR to turn over any internal communications related to the topic of political viewpoint diversity.

There is nothing in the public broadcasting act requiring such information, and no requirement in the funding being contingent on viewpoint diversity or the number of conservatives on staff. Are other recipients of federal funding asked such questions?

The House of Representatives has launched an official investigation into the charges of political bias at NPR:

Once thing that caught my attention was the committee is asking for political party affiliations from all employees and board members. If I'm an employee, I would take offense to being asked what I see as an inappropriate question. It comes off as similar to the House Un-American Activities hearings of the 1950s, seeking to root out communists. People are being targeted because of their political ideology, which is improper.

There is nothing in the public broadcasting act requiring such information, and no requirement in the funding being contingent on viewpoint diversity or the number of conservatives on staff. Are other recipients of federal funding asked such questions?
I have made my views on NPR clear on this thread.But I agree with you on this.I think it's appropriate for Congress to debate whether or not taxpayer dollars should be used to fund any radio or television network, but it is not right for them to be polling who is a Democrat and who is a Republican. that's smacks of McCarthyism.

"Are you now, or have you ever been, someone who has criticized Saint Donald Trump". I'd think that would be an illegal question, but I imagine, should there be a second Trump presidency, political party and religious affiliation questions will be mandatory.

Another item that caught my attention is their plan to grill the CEO about her personal opinions:

The House Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee has asked Maher to appear at a May 8 hearing to explain the allegations of political and ideological bias rampant at NPR. It says they are concerned Maher’s personal views and opinions “may cloud” objective reporting of the news at NPR.

As I've said, the CEO isn't a journalist, and the company isn't strictly a news company. She doesn't even do editorials, as some companies have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom