• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

November Houston Ratings are "Booming"

Had I grown up black, and in that culture, I would probably like hip-hop. I grew up white listening to top-40 and rock. So hip-hop is uninteresting. To me.

If you look at record sales in instances where data has been obtained about the purchaser, you'll find more hip-hop is consumed by non-Hispanic whites than by African Americans. It's totally mainstream.

And "growing up white" is not something that defines your taste. Music is the product of nurture, not nature. And that's why hip hop is so popular among non-Hispanic whites and Hispanics as well as among Blacks.

Nope. Shouting anybody isn't of interest to me. As for white folks listening to boom, well there is no accounting for taste in today's butt obsessed society. To re-iterate and twist the thoughts of the "Its a Mad world movie" - "if rap artists didn't sing about butts - they would have nothing left to rap about." Gross, disgusting to people of refinement and taste. Oh - and before you call somebody a racist:

I am on record in social media saying that Zendaya was purposely robbed of a victory on DWTS so a white woman could win. I think Zendaya, and several other black women are smoking hot. I love love love motown songs from the 60's. I live next door to blacks - some really nice people. Now it isn't just blacks who are singing disgusting butt obsessed songs, I am an equal opportunity disgust reflex. Need I go on?

Back to listening to 91.7 classical. Not a butt referred to in any musical number they play.

I don't know who Zendaya is, but trust me there are WAYYYY more things to rap about than a woman's ass. Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions did not. Queen Latifah does not. You know, just let me stop and take heed to the words of the Great Leon Simon...."Perception ain't right, but its real". So there you have it.

I don't know who Zendaya is, but trust me there are WAYYYY more things to rap about than a woman's ass. Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions did not. Queen Latifah does not. You know, just let me stop and take heed to the words of the Great Leon Simon...."Perception ain't right, but its real". So there you have it.

Yeah - drugs, hatred of whites, profanity, rape. I prefer Christian hip-hop on NGEN to Boom. Or Hot 95.9 stream. The lyrics don't make me want to vomit.

Yeah - drugs, hatred of whites, profanity, rape. I prefer Christian hip-hop on NGEN to Boom. Or Hot 95.9 stream. The lyrics don't make me want to vomit.

I see you are funny. Most hip hip/rap music are party jams songs. Just trying to get folk to dance. If you are offended by anything that Jeff & The Prince, Hammer or Whodini put out, then you my friend have not heard anything. But again I do refer to folk perceptions.

I see you are funny. Most hip hip/rap music are party jams songs. Just trying to get folk to dance. If you are offended by anything that Jeff & The Prince, Hammer or Whodini put out, then you my friend have not heard anything. But again I do refer to folk perceptions.

It appears that random chance had me listening when they were playing the most offensive music. Even 60's and 70's had songs with extremely offensive lyrics - and I am an equal opportunity frequency changer when I hear something objectionable. Eventually, I think, the best of Western civilization will be remembered. The worst - forgotten. Somehow I don't think songs containing profanity, drug use, sexual content, and hatred make history's cut. Bar drinking songs from centuries past exist primarily as Christian hymns today - changed lyrics. All things being equal, people tend towards pleasant things instead of unpleasant. Unless they are afflicted with a mental illness wanting to subject themselves to unpleasant things.

It appears that random chance had me listening when they were playing the most offensive music. Even 60's and 70's had songs with extremely offensive lyrics - and I am an equal opportunity frequency changer when I hear something objectionable. Eventually, I think, the best of Western civilization will be remembered. The worst - forgotten. Somehow I don't think songs containing profanity, drug use, sexual content, and hatred make history's cut. Bar drinking songs from centuries past exist primarily as Christian hymns today - changed lyrics. All things being equal, people tend towards pleasant things instead of unpleasant. Unless they are afflicted with a mental illness wanting to subject themselves to unpleasant things.

No folk who know that its just entertainment can see it as such. You hoss live in the most pollyanna world.

No folk who know that its just entertainment can see it as such. You hoss live in the most pollyanna world.

Maybe so. But there are an awful lot of us living there, it is a nice place to be - among men and women of good will, good manners, and good morals. The vast majority of people don't like listening to filthy lyrics and will simply change the station when somebody broadcasts them.

Since you (as am I) are a fan of classic hits, I wonder if you hold the same standards within that genre of music? Several classics from then let expletives fly. 2 examples from the top of my head would be The Rolling Stones "Life in the Fast Lane", with the lyrics of "Haven't seen a goddamn thing.", and "There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face, she pretended not to notice, they were caught up in the race.", an obvious reference to cocaine. Speaking of cocaine, Eric Clapton sang an entire song about that highly illegal narcotic, but he is not my second example. That goes to hard rocking 70's band Nazareth, with probably the biggest song they ever released "Hair of the Dog", which utters the exclamation of "Now you're messin' with a son of a..."

I'd be very interested in your viewpoint with regards to the previous examples that have been lain before you.

Personally, I don't think there should be any censorship on the radio. I have heard the uncensored version of Radiohead's "Creep" on KLBJ-FM in Austin (The one with the line you're so f***ing special) so I know some stations are willing to play uncensored music. I don't have a problem with it. When I worked in radio in the 70s, we played the uncensored version or album version of Steve Miller Band's Jet Airliner, which has the line about "all that funky shit going down in the city"

Since you (as am I) are a fan of classic hits, I wonder if you hold the same standards within that genre of music? Several classics from then let expletives fly. 2 examples from the top of my head would be The Rolling Stones "Life in the Fast Lane", with the lyrics of "Haven't seen a goddamn thing.", and "There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face, she pretended not to notice, they were caught up in the race.", an obvious reference to cocaine. Speaking of cocaine, Eric Clapton sang an entire song about that highly illegal narcotic, but he is not my second example. That goes to hard rocking 70's band Nazareth, with probably the biggest song they ever released "Hair of the Dog", which utters the exclamation of "Now you're messin' with a son of a..."

I'd be very interested in your viewpoint with regards to the previous examples that have been lain before you.

Good question. I am glad you asked! I change the station when objectionable lyrics come on the air, regardless of the style of music. With half a million words in the English language, using the same same couple of dozen over and over again to express strong emotion indicates, at best, a low IQ. Enticement to consumption of illegal substances is offensive no matter what the style. And personally, I think humanity can rise above the "hey baby wanna breed" mentality. I also apply the same standards to television shows and movies.

Kids of GenX/Y and even the Millenniums don't care about the lyrics a lot of times...I recall many years ago I was at a friend's for a campfire/cookout and fireworks (likely Fourth of July)....I told a R rated joke and his 23 yr old daughter "went to daddy" and he later asked me about it...I apologized but at the same time pointed out one song they were playing over and over. Shaggy's "It wasn't me"....(For those who have forgotten that song OR , thankfully, have forgotten it, here is the link to lyrics...I'm sure you'll recall it after reading them: http://www.metrolyrics.com/it-wasnt-me-lyrics-shaggy.html ).

I had him listen to the song closely.....his EYES opened up wide as he realized what they were singing....he went to grab his daughter (who I have known all her life) and made HER apologize to me...for being a hypocrite!!!!! Listening to something worse (and mouthing along with it!!!) than the joke I told????? Once I pointed out what the song was really about, she turned beet red and really felt stupid...(and she was married!)

Of course a lot of the blame lies with the baby boomers..that (MY!) generation let this happen.......to the kids and now their kids....thanks to promoters pushing this garbage and artists not being able to come up with anything worth a damn.......A rare 'damn' or 'BS' or 'crap' in top40 music was minor yet stations would edit it out or record companies would edit the song (one local AM top40 in the 70s actually BADLY edited out the word crap in the beginning of Kodachrome by Paul Simon; BADLY!!! totally ruined the song.....a bleep over the word would have been better!)...NOW, they dont care and almost every other word is either HIGHLY suggestive or downright profane (and I am NOT known to have the cleanest mouth on the planet!!...reminds me of an English professor I had in college, who was a ex NUN!! She could take it, give it and make a sailor blush!!! :cool:)...I will take certain 60s/ most 70-90s (but not all!) music over any other PERIOD....(except for the classical and instrumentals! Relaxing with a glass of wine or using it in heavy traffic helps!)

Life in the Fast Lane was by the Eagles, not the Stones.....Religious broadcaster Larry Black, who did a show similar to Powerline with Brother John Rivers, played the UNedited version of it for 3 or 4 WEEKS before someone on the staff caught the lyrics....funny, those of us DJing already knew..the "gd" was usually edited out...

As for other songs, try bs in the song "Money" by Pink Floyd!! VERY noticeable.....usually day parted to late night and the edit version played most of the day/evening hours. The FM AORs played it no matter what...

as to SOB, the country/pop crossover "Devil Went Down to Georgia" had that in the unedited version...the flip side had son of a gun....but I heard a lot of country stations play the A side with the B word in it :)

And you want to really count the word Bitch??

Elton John's "The Bitch is Back" I think may outdo Nazareth...however, it was not SOB..

Ever watched the broadcast version of "Smoky and the Bandit" Sumbitch gets replaced with a BADLY overdubbed scumbags..not even in Gleason's voice...I think the original could be tweaked where it could play on the air today (just blank the S and GD words or mute God out of GD....sumbitch was the funny part of Buford T Justice's language...even the part where he says "loins" gets edited to genes!!! PLEASE!

HOWEVER, those were exceptions, not the rule...today, its reversed......

Stan brings up the "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller.....I used to play the album version at night....with the lead in SFX instrumental cut....so the song sounded like the airplay 45 at first...where the guitar cords take off....

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom