• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Not feeling Live365's new look

Good timing since I announced my departure from Live365. Their new website is a little annoying. I can't even listen on Winamp anymore unless I become a VIP. This is going to turn down a lot of newcomers. Well, it's only for one more week till the switch to Centova.

Captainfirst said:
d21ofnj said:
I did, but I liked Centova's AutoDJ better, and they do cover royalties 8) . So far, so good, and posted the links on 967party.com.

Centova? Never heard of them. Can you send me a message here with some details on how to set things up, and do they really cover royalties? The AutoDJ system looks fairly stable and easy to use. Thanks.

Centova is the server interface and it is pretty nice and straight forward. If you are doing the AutoDJ thing it works like a champ... The only issue I can say I ran into with Centova is the AutoDJ will crash if you have any bad files so pay attention that all your files are uploaded in tact I had one song that didn't upload totally and centova would crap out and have to be restarted

TheX-KXRX said:
Captainfirst said:
d21ofnj said:
I did, but I liked Centova's AutoDJ better, and they do cover royalties 8) . So far, so good, and posted the links on 967party.com.

Centova? Never heard of them. Can you send me a message here with some details on how to set things up, and do they really cover royalties? The AutoDJ system looks fairly stable and easy to use. Thanks.

Centova is the server interface and it is pretty nice and straight forward. If you are doing the AutoDJ thing it works like a champ... The only issue I can say I ran into with Centova is the AutoDJ will crash if you have any bad files so pay attention that all your files are uploaded in tact I had one song that didn't upload totally and centova would crap out and have to be restarted

I make sure I convert all of my singles through iTunes, even when they are downloaded from Beatport, DJ City, etc. I have heard about that frequent problem, but thank you. Much appreciated.

Nick said:
There still is a way to listen to Live 365 stations in Winamp without VIP. Get the URL Snooper and it will give you the URL of the stream that you play in Winamp. The URL of Mid West Clubber's station is http://216.235.91.33/play?now=99&me...d=live365&r=0&app_id=live365:BROWSER(live365) (copy and paste in Winamp)

Unfortunately, not everyone will be doing that. You gotta remember that listeners will not go through a loophole just to hear a stream. They basically want it right then and there.

As a Live365 Broadcaster (Who just find himself looking for new hosting if Live365 doesn't fix their "Upgrade" :mad: ), lemme give you a breakdown of the new site based on my likes & dislikes.

Before I do, lemme summarize & preface it by saying that while I like the new look IN GENERAL (God knows they needed one), it's design leaves A LOT to be desired. In fact, to be blunt, it looks as though it was THROWN TOGETHER like patchwork in an effort to keep up with the rollout of the new SHOUTcast website as well as the recent launching of the new CBS Radio portal (I say this because Live365's site rolled out just a scant 24 HOURS after CBS Radio rolled out its new portal site).

That out of the way, here are my likes & dislikes.....

Overall Look - As indicated before, it was needed

Flash Player - Despite its flaws (See below), it doesn't reload itself every time you go to a different page on the site

DISLIKES

Flash Player (Not the embeddable widget) - It stutters almost every time you go to a different page on the site. On top of that, the video portion of ads with video spawns a whole new popup Flash window instead of just simply playing within the player itself - THIS IS A HUGE TURNOFF. As such - The on site Flash Player BLOWS :mad:

Links - While some links open in the same window/tab, others DO NOT. Classic example is the BROADCAST tab. You can't do ANYTHING with it if you have a pop up blocker enabled - THIS IS A HUGE TURNOFF :mad: When you do get to the broadcast page, you're either taken to a page where you have to click on a MANAGE YOUR BROADCAST button in order to get to the actual broadcast page (Umm.....correct me if I'm wrong here but isn't the broadcast link ITSELF supposed to do this BY DEFAULT??) or you are taken to the actual broadcast page (Which is where I want to go in the first place)

Broadcast Pages This part WAS NOT EVEN UPGRADED (Umm.....Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the whole point of upgrading the website mean upgrading THE ENTIRE WEBSITE???) On top of that, but when you click the little yellow speaker icon in order to listen to it, you are taken to your station page which then loads your station into an instance of the aforementioned Flash player that blows. PLUS the option to listen via an external player is now restricted to VIPs (Who, because Live365 STILL insists on supporting the OLD & LONG ANTIQUATED mp3PRO codec, are forced to download Live365's own standalone player for the best (??) possible experience)

Message Boards Reduced to the SECOND of FOUR columns. The layout has a column of ads on the left followed by the boards themselves followed by TWO HIGHLY ANNOYING & FLASHY ad columns on the right (Umm.....Correct me if I'm wrong here but doesn't the Web 2.0 standard call for NO MORE than ONE column on the right or left if not both? Me thinks it does)

On top of that, the boards are scruntched in such a way whereas it sometimes trunciates the board column showing latest threads & who posted them. This is just VERY sloppy. I mean, what's the point of even having a message board on your site if you're not even going to ensure that it displays properly?

Mind you, NONE of these problems are browser-specific. In fact, a lengthy thread on this has been started in the Live365 Broadcasters Forum (I'd post the link here but an account with broadcasting service is required to view the forum). I'll be sure to share the link to this thread so that other Live365 broadcasters can see & read it & in the hopes that Live365 employees will see & read it since they had the shortsighted Ehh....."Wisdom" to not start a thread in a forum that LISTENERS can access.

Cheers :D

As an addendum, I should also point out I've already added a SHOUTcast stream (albeit from a freebie SHOUTcast host which is either INDEPENDENT of the Live365 stream **OR** is picked up via relay on Live365) of Progressive Moderates Radio, which is my News/Talk station. If THAT isn't a hint as to how DISSATISFIED I am as a broadcaster on a service WHICH I PAY FOR, then I dunno what is..... :mad:

Pat

I had just renewed my station about the time of the upgrade, but I'll probably be out of there come October. There's a service similar to AutoDJ from Shout Radio Automation that I'm intrigued by, and apparently they're also in the Louisville area. Combining it with LoudCity sure beats the price for going Pro on Live365.

I think the more that SHOUTcast 2.0 takes off, the more it will become the wave of the future IMO (Especially when the SHOUTcast DSP comes out in 2.0). If Live365 doesn't watch out & adapt, SHOUTcast 2.0 will hit them MUCH harder than the Podcasting Tsunami of 2005 did (In fact, it'll be a cakewalk compared to what coming down the pike now!).

Just my opinion.....

Cheers :D

William_Yeager said:
I had just renewed my station about the time of the upgrade, but I'll probably be out of there come October. There's a service similar to AutoDJ from Shout Radio Automation that I'm intrigued by, and apparently they're also in the Louisville area. Combining it with LoudCity sure beats the price for going Pro on Live365.

As a person who owns servers I would like to know more do tell me where you saw this please....

William_Yeager said:
Their site is http://shoutautomation.com/

It will still be about 2 months before I switch from Live365, so I'm not using them yet, but the demo looks (click on "Tour") really impressive.

It sure does look much better as a platform than Centova that is for sure... What is kind of a turn off from a provider standpoint is that it's a hosted solution so you have to pay them on top of your stream provider unless you go with them for both and their prices on streaming are not the best I have seen.

Would love it if they had a version that could be deployed on the local server, but it is an option and I am going to consider reselling their service to my customers because if it works as advertised it is very slick.

Live 365 is a joke, I kept geting delist for dmca violations, so I found a free shoutcast server and I can playt whatever I want now, for free, on top of that, when I cancelled they tried to charge me for one year when I only signed up for 3 months, finally after arguing with them they charged me only for the 5 days I used.

rockhitsradio said:
I like the free shoutcast host
http://www.streamvera.com
You can cover royalties for $9.95 per month at
http://www.swcast.net

Vern

Does anyone use the SWcast.net JPL Program? It sounds like a pretty fair deal considering the price. A station my size is about $16 per month which is just under $200 per year which is cheaper than if I were to do all the paperwork myself...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom