• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nobody at CBS News New York?

They also brought in the talking heads to help him out. Wolf was right there in the box a few minutes later.

Wolf must live near the bureau. I watched as they put some guy in the DC studio for Lemon to interview, and his introduction was "Who are you, and what did you do with President Bush?" I think he had been a speechwriter at one time. It was all news to Lemon.

NBC woke up their third string WH reporter in Argentina (at 2:30AM), and asked her for a statement from Trump, and that hadn't been put out yet. Whoops. All she could do was explain the situation down there. About ten minutes later the official statement was released.

Wolf must live near the bureau. I watched as they put some guy in the DC studio for Lemon to interview, and his introduction was "Who are you, and what did you do with President Bush?" I think he had been a speechwriter at one time. It was all news to Lemon.

NBC woke up their third string WH reporter in Argentina (at 2:30AM), and asked her for a statement from Trump, and that hadn't been put out yet. Whoops. All she could do was explain the situation down there. About ten minutes later the official statement was released.
I bet the "official" statement was not appropriate so the WH Staff had to write one.

I bet the "official" statement was not appropriate so the WH Staff had to write one.

The official statement that came out last night was clearly not written by Trump. It was beautifully written, and very appropriate.

He was on his best behavior today. Everything he said was on message. Someone attempted to get him to say something negative and he ignored it. They were very smart to cancel the press conference that had been scheduled for today.

Here's the video of the CBS News bulletin with Sharon Tay anchoring from the KCBS studio in LA.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/11/30/president-george-hw-bush-dies/

Saw the Clip and Im guessing when the Death of George HW Bush was announced KCAL 9 Los Angeles (The other CBS O&O in Los Angeles) was running local news the time of announcement be why the CBS2 Los Angeles Logo was not changed to CBSN when that took place. I do know in Los Angeles KCAL 9 runs their news at 8,9 and 10pm PST when that took place.

CBS could of called Jeff Glor back in same with NBC Lester Holt. Also had overnight Newscast. Fox News Channel? American News One? Fusion? Newsmax?

CBS could of called Jeff Glor back in same with NBC Lester Holt.

Both had long left the office. Remember we're talking about Friday at midnight. The choice one has to make is which is the best use of an anchor's time? Friday at midnight or Saturday during the day? No need to bring the main talent back in at midnight. The story will wait until the next morning.

Absolutely. We're talking about a former president, not the sitting one. One who had been in declining health for some time. It was the wee hours on the east coast. This obsession with who the networks brought in, or didn't, is a bit of silly inside baseball no one in the real world cares about.

CBS could of called Jeff Glor back in same with NBC Lester Holt. Also had overnight Newscast. Fox News Channel? American News One? Fusion? Newsmax?

Why CBSN did what they thought was right at the time and it was take over the Local KCAL9 News Staff since they were doing an active newscast at the time Bush Sr. death was confirmed.

Local stations have people in 24/7 including Weather people so just in case somCBS\NBC/ABC should have somebody in the building just in case for Breaking News and for NBC/FOX they have people already in on MSNBC/Fox News Channel.

You sure about that? Even the news channels aren't live 24/7. Fox News runs repeats from midnight to 4 AM. Same with CNN.
Fox News does man the news desk overnight, I've seen them break in at 3 am with a live report. I believe CNN goes to the international bureau for overnight live coverage.

Regarding Sharon Tay, up until last month, she was one of the morning and midday news anchors at KCBS (along with Jeff Michael, who now works evenings with Pat Harvey on KCBS), and they just moved her to prime time to work the KCAL newscasts. Keep in mind, KCAL's news block is not a straight three-hour newscast...the 8pm hour focuses more on local and statewide stories, the 9pm covers mainly national and world news, and the 10pm show is just an update on all of the above, plus any late-breaking news. Tay does the 8 and 10pm hours, and so that's why she was able to do the breaking news on the network (around 9:05pm PT). I'm sure WCBS-TV and CBS News have their own separate newsrooms in New York City, but the CBS News L.A./West Coast bureau and KCBS/KCAL newsroom are one in the same.

I'm sure WCBS-TV and CBS News have their own separate newsrooms in New York City, but the CBS News L.A./West Coast bureau and KCBS/KCAL newsroom are one in the same.

Separate newsrooms, but in the same building. CBS News Radio is just down the hall.

Maybe CBS simply decided to let the LA bureau handle the breaking news desk from 6pm PT (when the last feed of "CBS Evening News" ends) until midnight PT.

The west coast feeds of the CBS Evening News on weeknights are at 5:30/6:00/6:30 PM PT, so the last feed ends at 7:00 PM PT.

I do remember back in August 2017 CBSN simulcasted KRIS-TV Corpus Christi coverage of Hurricane Harvey and it was one of a few cases where a non-CBSN talent or a Non-CBS O&O talent took over the national feed of CBS News to cover a breaking story.

Usually whenever a Breaking story that's coming out of California is airing on CBSN and none of the national CBS staff is not available. I know CBSN has used the O&O talent from KCBS, KOVR or KPIX to step in and takeover the national CBSN feed. But in the case of KPIX San Francisco and KOVR Sacramento they would takeover the CBSN feed if there a wildfire on the Northern California hills.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2018/12/3/dropping-the-ball-on-bush

And FTVlive did a talk on how the Austin stations reacted to HW Bush death.

It should be a bigger story in his home state of Texas, but many Austin stations did not seem prepared for the news.

KVUE did not break in to programing on their own and took an ABC News special Reporter.

KXAN did the same with NBC, which spent more time on the news than ABC.

KTBC Fox was in their newscast but didn’t stay with the big story. They basically gave the Bush story a mention and then moved on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom