• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No More Rock 102.3

> I called a friend at Cox and they have a great attitude
> about this. They are not bad folks. In fact, I consider
> them to be a good bunch.

I agree. The people at Cox are nice people and professionals. I also have to say that the few people I've met from KXOJ are good people as well.

> That could be a great format for 1050
>
>
>
> > > Best of luck to them.
> > >
> > > Everything happens for a reason.
> > >
> > > I'm just glad this market can support two stations of
> this
> >
> > > format.
> > >
> > > Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa.
> > "Spirits"
> > > are good here at KXOJ. =)
> > >
> > > We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this
> > market
> > > and a great team.
> > >
> > > This should be a fun ride.
> >
> > Now if only someone could sign on a Black Gospel station
> in
> > Tulsa since KTFX (or KTKX) has flipped to Spanish.
> >
>

You must have read my mind:) Gospel would be a good format for 1050 not mention it covers North Tulsa at night since their nighttime transmitter in Sand Springs, not mention that North Tulsa has a majority of the Black folks in that area, then maybe Perry or someone else get another station and sign on a true Urban AC format in Tulsa that sounds better than what's on 1050 who's all over the board with their current format. Sorry, wishful thinking again, but it could work:)

Put your ideas on paper and send them to Mr. Perry. Never hurts to give a broadcaster some good constructive input. You may help him out and make a friend in the process.

> > That could be a great format for 1050
> >
> >
> >
> > > > Best of luck to them.
> > > >
> > > > Everything happens for a reason.
> > > >
> > > > I'm just glad this market can support two stations of
> > this
> > >
> > > > format.
> > > >
> > > > Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa.
> > > "Spirits"
> > > > are good here at KXOJ. =)
> > > >
> > > > We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this
> > > market
> > > > and a great team.
> > > >
> > > > This should be a fun ride.
> > >
> > > Now if only someone could sign on a Black Gospel station
>
> > in
> > > Tulsa since KTFX (or KTKX) has flipped to Spanish.
> > >
> >
>
> You must have read my mind:) Gospel would be a good format
> for 1050 not mention it covers North Tulsa at night since
> their nighttime transmitter in Sand Springs, not mention
> that North Tulsa has a majority of the Black folks in that
> area, then maybe Perry or someone else get another station
> and sign on a true Urban AC format in Tulsa that sounds
> better than what's on 1050 who's all over the board with
> their current format. Sorry, wishful thinking again, but it
> could work:)
>

> I have heard your radio station Matt and you should not be
> giving advice to either KXOJ or Spirit. No offense, but you
> should be learning from both stations. I did think that
> Seth sounded good in middays. :)

No offense "kxojdj"...

Anyone who hides behind their user name doesn't seem to bother me all that much. I'm sure that you are in the same place I was years ago, a lonely board-op in the "Mom and Pop" world of KXOJ. In fact, I bet you only have the guts to say five words around the studios... "Yes Sir Mr. Bob Thornton"!

Your response lacked any wisdom or disagreement to my programming theory. You just slammed my radio station. I welcome anyone who might disagree with my post about why there's not enough room to support two Christian AC stations in Tulsa by posting their own programming theory. Your post did not answer questions that I brought to mind about what demo might leave KXOJ along with what demo is KXOJ missing?

Another sign that tells me you are still "green" in the business is your comments in your posts like "lots of closed door meetings today at KXOJ" and " David & Bob are concerned". You suggested that I should be learning something from both stations, how about you learn something from a seasoned pro like Gary Thompson who is NOT AFRAID of signing his name to his posts but also talks very supportive of his current employer with comments such as "We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this market and a great team".

Oh, and by the way, The Hook's fall 2004 book had us Arb. rated M-S #2 W 18-49, #3 W 25-54, in my market with my morning show #1 in both demos.

Matt Baldridge
GM/OM
Three Trees Communications
www.thehook.fm

> www.rock1023.com
>

Here in Grand Rapids, Michigan, we have about a dozen "Christian" signals. Granted, a few are translators or just satellite feeds.

However, we have FOUR locally programmed Christian music stations:

1) WAYG (non-com hot Christian CHR)
2) WCSG (non-com Christian AC)
3) WJQK (commercial Christian AC)
4) WFUR (commercial Christian Inspo)

All four station co-exist quite well. WAYG has a weak, directional signal, but together with simulcast partner WAYK, cumes one of the largest audiences in Christian CHR.

Sister station WCSG is #3 or #4 in the market 12+, and top 3 (or better) in their targets.

WJQK was a strong 12+ contender a couple of years ago, and while numbers are down lately, the product is solid and they bill very well given their circumstances.

WFUR is a sleepy, poorly programmed station on a blowtorch, and they also bill enough to not ever consider selling or flipping, even though they would run away with an obscene amount of cash.

Grand Rapids is quite similar to Tulsa in market size and some demographics. Surely KXOJ and Spirit can both succeed, as long as they don't cannibilize each other or consider each other direct-threats. Unfortunately, the mere fact that 102.3 chose AC doesn't bode well for the short term.

> > My
> > guess is that Cox has some smart programmers working on
> this
> > station.
>
> Yeah...the EXACT same ones that signed on ROCK 102.3!!! (Saw
> him on the news talking about it!!!)
>

Chris Kelly is a great Program Director and someone every jock would want to work for. He is running the show for a very good reason. The new Spirit 102.3 has so many surprises coming and I can't wait to read your reactions.

Sorry to disagree but don't assume just because Clear Channel didn't succeed that Cox will fail to. I've worked for both companies here in Tulsa and Cox has a very clear plan and the right people, like Chris Kelly, who will push this station to the top. This is going to be a lot of fun. :)

I've worked for both as well.

The experiences were definitely different from one another. You're right there.

By the way...it's good to see you posting here, Matt.

You're a good jock. I wish I knew a few others on this board by name.

>
> Sorry to disagree but don't assume just because Clear
> Channel didn't succeed that Cox will fail to. I've worked
> for both companies here in Tulsa <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by GaryThompson on 11/30/05 03:36 AM.</FONT></P>

> Chris Kelly is a great Program Director and someone every
> jock would want to work for.

If you say so.

> He is running the show for a very good reason.

If he is "perfect" for this position then I guess the real question is why was he running Rock 102.3?

> The new Spirit 102.3 has so many surprises
> coming and I can't wait to read your reactions.

Oh yeah...Cox never ceases to surprise me. Impress me? No. Surprise me? Shock me? Certainly.

> Sorry to disagree but don't assume just because Clear
> Channel didn't succeed that Cox will fail to.

I don't think they'll fail just because Clear Channel did. They'll fail for their own reasons.

> I've worked
> for both companies here in Tulsa and Cox has a very clear
> plan and the right people, like Chris Kelly, who will push
> this station to the top.

I seriously doubt it.

> This is going to be a lot of fun.

You've got that right!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom