• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No More Rock 102.3

> www.rock1023.com

I just read about on Radio & Records website, I know KRTQ's ratings were kinda low and Cox would eventually flip the format, but I didn't expect them to go Contemporary Christian. I wonder if KXOJ saw that coming? Gary, how are you guys at KXOJ reacting to this? I know Tulsa's a bible belt city but can it support 2 Contemporary Christian stations. I guess will have to see in the 06.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by X-Man on 11/23/05 11:30 PM.</FONT></P>

Best of luck to them.

Everything happens for a reason.

I'm just glad this market can support two stations of this format.

Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa. "Spirits" are good here at KXOJ. =)

We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this market and a great team.

This should be a fun ride.

-GT

> > www.rock1023.com
>
> I just read about on Radio & Records website, I know KRTQ's
> ratings were kinda low and Cox would eventually flip the
> format, but I didn't expect them to go Contemporary
> Christian. I wonder if KXOJ saw that coming? Gary, how are
> you guys at KXOJ reacting to this? I know Tulsa's a bible
> belt city but can it support 2 Contemporary Christian
> stations. I guess will have to see in the 06.
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by GaryThompson on 11/23/05 11:41 PM.</FONT></P>

I know Tulsa's a bible
> belt city but can it support 2 Contemporary Christian
> stations. I guess will have to see in the 06.

KXOJ top-of-hour positioner:

"REAL Christian radio run by a local company made up of Christians devoted to serving and spreading the message of God."

KXOJ positioning statment:

"REAL Christian radio for the family, 100.9 FM KXOJ"

I don't even care for KXOJ, but I hope (and know they can and probably WILL) win this one. "Big Corporate" Christian radio is so totally disingenuous it almost makes me sick. Supporters of KXOJ should make this clear to their friends, fellow church members, etc... Cox radio's motivation is purely financial here. They are NOT a ministry. If you're OK with that then listen and support them. If you're not, then don't.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by smartradioguy on 11/23/05 11:53 PM.</FONT></P>

> Best of luck to them.
>
> Everything happens for a reason.
>
> I'm just glad this market can support two stations of this
> format.
>
> Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa. "Spirits"
> are good here at KXOJ. =)
>
> We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this market
> and a great team.
>
> This should be a fun ride.

Now if only someone could sign on a Black Gospel station in Tulsa since KTFX (or KTKX) has flipped to Spanish.

> Best of luck to them.
>
>
> format.
>
>
> and a great team.
>
>
> -GT
>
>
I still think this is just Cox's attempt to hurt both KXOJ and KBEZ to give 96.5 a boost in ratings and billing. I never expected Cox to launch a Christian AC anywhere so it is a suprise. I just see that 102.3 does have the signal advantage but KXOJ has a long heritage in the format so it ought to be interesting. I personally have no problem with big corporate radio programming such a format but in this case I root for KXOJ. Salem programs some great CCM's like the one I have in Atlanta for 11 months a year but also some mediocre stations.
Simply, I am for whatever it takes to bring 24/7 great sounding Christian music stations to as many people as possible. I prefer commercial where they can work but realize that in many markets only a non-commercial station can survive whether it be locally produced or part of a network of stations.

Wow...

A Christian AC format from COX in Tulsa?!? This reminds me of the LIVE 101.5 days from Clear Channel! Why my excitement?! Currently i'm employed in the Christian format and I called Tulsa home for 22 years.

Here's some thoughts...

*** Clearly this must be a way for Cox to take just a little share from KXOJ to protect Mix 96.

*** I've been listening and I'm saddened that COX chose Christian AC.

*** Christian Hot AC and/or CHR should have been the choice for these reasons.

#1: The 18-34 (CHR) demo is less concerned whether a station is a "REAL" Christian station or not. They follow what sounds better. The upper end 35-54 (AC) demo is more loyal to the station that's "blessed them" and is a "REAL" Christian station.
#2: The younger end of the F 25-54 KXOJ listener at times find them a little boring. That's what Live 101.5 showed four years ago when Seth Andrews did mornings. Again, a potential audience to steal quickly.
#3: Tulsa is starving for a local Christian station that REALLY is YOUR CHOICE FOR THE FAMILY. C'mon. What teen is listening to AC?!? KXOJ is not a station the whole family agrees on.

*** My prediction for "06" 12+ numbers: Spirit 102.3: 1.1 KXOJ: 3.3

If only a station would have taken the leap and when CHR. I would have been singing "Mamma I'm coming home"! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Matt Baldridge
GM/OM
Three Trees Communications
www.thehook.fm

I think it is great to see a company do what is right for radio. Never liked Rock 102. Don't write this one off. My guess is that Cox has some smart programmers working on this station.

KXOJ and Spirit could easily co-exist. Tulsa is one of the few markets that could support two. KXOJ will do just fine and so will Spirit.

Best of luck to both of you.

> Best of luck to them.
>
>
> format.
>
>
> and a great team.
>
>
> -GT
>
>
> > > www.rock1023.com
> >
> > I just read about on Radio & Records website, I know
> KRTQ's
> > ratings were kinda low and Cox would eventually flip the
> > format, but I didn't expect them to go Contemporary
> > Christian. I wonder if KXOJ saw that coming? Gary, how are
>
> > you guys at KXOJ reacting to this? I know Tulsa's a bible
> > belt city but can it support 2 Contemporary Christian
> > stations. I guess will have to see in the 06.
> >
>

A smart radio programmer that owns the format hill would not react to a new competitor. If KXOJ changes anything at this point, it will prove that they are scared. Thanks for your free consulting "smartradioguy."

> I know Tulsa's a bible
>
> KXOJ top-of-hour positioner:
>
> "REAL Christian radio run by a local company made up of
> Christians devoted to serving and spreading the message of
> God."
>
>
> KXOJ positioning statment:
>
> "REAL Christian radio for the family, 100.9 FM KXOJ"
>
>
> I don't even care for KXOJ, but I hope (and know they can
> and probably WILL) win this one. "Big Corporate" Christian
> radio is so totally disingenuous it almost makes me sick.
> Supporters of KXOJ should make this clear to their friends,
> fellow church members, etc... Cox radio's motivation is
> purely financial here. They are NOT a ministry. If you're
> OK with that then listen and support them. If you're not,
> then don't.
>

Re: The New Spirit 102.3fm

Lots of closed door meetings today at KXOJ. David & Bob are concerned.

We are not worried about Spirit. In fact, we hope it grows the passion for Christian music in Tulsa. The station sounds good. (Nice work guys!)

We all think that the two stations will do well in Tulsa. It may hurt us a bit, but both stations will do well in the long run. KBEZ should be concerned about Spirit. I think they have more to lose.

Lets all play fair and remember why we are doing this format.

> I think it is great to see a company do what is right for
> radio. Never liked Rock 102. Don't write this one off. My
> guess is that Cox has some smart programmers working on this
> station.
>
> KXOJ and Spirit could easily co-exist. Tulsa is one of the
> few markets that could support two. KXOJ will do just fine
> and so will Spirit.
>
> Best of luck to both of you.
>
>
> > Best of luck to them.
> >
> > Everything happens for a reason.
> >
> > I'm just glad this market can support two stations of this
>
> > format.
> >
> > Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa.
> "Spirits"
> > are good here at KXOJ. =)
> >
> > We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this
> market
> > and a great team.
> >
> > This should be a fun ride.
> >
> > -GT
> >
> >
> > > > www.rock1023.com
> > >
> > > I just read about on Radio & Records website, I know
> > KRTQ's
> > > ratings were kinda low and Cox would eventually flip the
>
> > > format, but I didn't expect them to go Contemporary
> > > Christian. I wonder if KXOJ saw that coming? Gary, how
> are
> >
> > > you guys at KXOJ reacting to this? I know Tulsa's a
> bible
> > > belt city but can it support 2 Contemporary Christian
> > > stations. I guess will have to see in the 06.
> > >
> >
>

"This should be a fun ride."
I agree with Gary

Five years ago, there was one Christian station in Tulsa, KXOJ. Then came CC's Live 101.5. Live was around for just over a year, February 2001 to June 2002 a great CHR/HOT AC station, solid DJ's, but Clear Channel pulled the plug after low ratings and switched to 101.5 The Beat, which we all know where that is now.

KXOJ wanted to keep the younger demo that Live 101.5 had, so they obtain KCXR in Taft, and 100.3 The KROSS is born with a very straight Christian Rock format so there is little conflict with KXOJ. Ratings overall are not great, but good for a 3900 watt station in south Tulsa and high ratings with the 12-18 demographic.

KWRI, Air1 CHR from California (and K-Love/EMF owned) signed on their 100,000 watt station in Bartlesville last October, but hasn't made a big impact in Tulsa since they aren't really local and haven't really done much since they went on the air over a year ago. Basically, no commercials and generic DJ's make the station sound like Sirius or XM radio.

Now we have Spirit 102.3, some interesting timing for COX to make the change. KXOJ's ratings have been lower than what they have been in the past, 3.1 in the last book. KXOJ lost afternoon drive host Dave Weston who went to mornings at KRAV, COX owned Mix96. In December morning show co-host at KXOJ, Mike Kanklefritz, will be going to KSBJ in Houston. Leaving another opening for someone new at KXOJ.

However, I don't see COX making much of an impact. KXOJ still has some of the best on-air personalities in Christian music, Craig, Gary, and Rachelle have been around for awhile and are great. KXOJ has been around for nearly thirty years and remains one of the top stations in their format nation wide. 3 time Dove Station of the year, amazing events like Freedom Live, huge contest time after time.

KXOJ has survived since they are locally owned. The management and PD understand the format, (Stephens and Thornton) unlike the higher ups at COX that are mostly commerical/money driven.

This is fairly obvious in the first hours of Spirit being on the air. Their format is all over the place.

Basically, Spirit may make a dent in KXOJ's audience, but it won't be long until COX pulls the plug, unless they spend as much time and money KXOJ has in getting to know the market.

If anything, Spirit will cause a station like KXOJ to become better.

> Best of luck to them.
>
>
> format.
>
>
> and a great team.
>
>
> -GT
>
>
> > > www.rock1023.com
> >
> > I just read about on Radio & Records website, I know
> KRTQ's
> > ratings were kinda low and Cox would eventually flip the
> > format, but I didn't expect them to go Contemporary
> > Christian. I wonder if KXOJ saw that coming? Gary, how are
>
> > you guys at KXOJ reacting to this? I know Tulsa's a bible
> >
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bkeim on 11/24/05 05:07 AM.</FONT></P>

> A smart radio programmer that owns the format hill would not
> react to a new competitor. If KXOJ changes anything at this
> point, it will prove that they are scared. Thanks for your
> free consulting "smartradioguy."

The things I suggested were hardly a huge reaction. In fact, these are things they probably should have been doing all along. Laying down and not reacting to competition is foolish. But so is OVER reacting so you are right, to some extent.

I'd be happy to send you a bill.

Actually you'd be surprised how many times posts like this end up actually getting used. More often, however, I've STOPPED a good idea from happening by mentioning it in a forum like this knowing that most egomaniac programmers would never use an idea they saw in a forum, even if they had the idea first for fear of someone else getting credit!

KXOJ should be scared. Undoubtedly this will cost them money. They'll win in the end, but it will be an expensive little war.

I have no animocity with Cox Radio, but I'm with the KXOJ on this one.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by smartradioguy on 11/24/05 06:03 PM.</FONT></P>

> My
> guess is that Cox has some smart programmers working on this
> station.

Yeah...the EXACT same ones that signed on ROCK 102.3!!! (Saw him on the news talking about it!!!)

> I don't even care for KXOJ, but I hope (and know they can
> and probably WILL) win this one. "Big Corporate" Christian
> radio is so totally disingenuous it almost makes me sick.
> Supporters of KXOJ should make this clear to their friends,
> fellow church members, etc... Cox radio's motivation is
> purely financial here. They are NOT a ministry. If you're
> OK with that then listen and support them. If you're not,
> then don't.

Ummm...last I checked, KXOJ made its money off of advertising revenue, which is exactly how Cox makes its money. In other words, both are businesses. In fact, KXOJ had a pretty big operation of its own a few years ago with stations in Amarillo, Lubbock and Wichita (all of which have since been divested) as well as its existing network of KEMX, KTFR and KEOJ and sister KCXR in addition to KXOJ. Of course, it has never been as big of a business operation as Cox.

Kent...you are a smart man. Yes, both Cox & KXOJ want to make money.
KXOJ also owns Country KMMY in Muskogee. They are not a pure-play Christian company. KMMY plays beer commercials and other commercials that would never make it on KXOJ. Plus the song content is...country. I would imagine that they do it for the money too!

They also ran the OKIE DOKIE restaurant in Tulsa. (I think it closed.) It had a full bar.

The winner is the listener and the advertiser. They now have a choice in Tulsa Christian Radio. Having inside knowledge of the Clearchannel "Live 1015" experience, I bet Cox is more dedicated to this project. PLUS, 102.3 is a full market signal as opposed to 101.5.

It would be hard to challenge KENT on his point, but I suspect some of you will try.

> > I don't even care for KXOJ, but I hope (and know they can
> > and probably WILL) win this one. "Big Corporate" Christian
>
> > radio is so totally disingenuous it almost makes me sick.
> > Supporters of KXOJ should make this clear to their
> friends,
> > fellow church members, etc... Cox radio's motivation is
> > purely financial here. They are NOT a ministry. If you're
>
> > OK with that then listen and support them. If you're not,
> > then don't.
>
> Ummm...last I checked, KXOJ made its money off of
> advertising revenue, which is exactly how Cox makes its
> money. In other words, both are businesses. In fact, KXOJ
> had a pretty big operation of its own a few years ago with
> stations in Amarillo, Lubbock and Wichita (all of which have
> since been divested) as well as its existing network of
> KEMX, KTFR and KEOJ and sister KCXR in addition to KXOJ. Of
> course, it has never been as big of a business operation as
> Cox.
>

> Kent...you are a smart man. Yes, both Cox & KXOJ want to
> make money.

Thanks for the good words! And, yes, you're absolutely correct that KMMY belongs to the KXOJ family as do KBIX and KYAL, both of which at least used to be part of the Sports Animal network. Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten those stations were co-owned with KXOJ. Thanks for the reminder!

> They also ran the OKIE DOKIE restaurant in Tulsa. (I think
> it closed.) It had a full bar.

I didn't know they ran Okie Dokie's, though I knew KXOJ had a listener appreciation party there a year or two ago. I can also confirm it closed. I was in Tulsa about six months ago, and my father and I wanted to go there as we heard they had Pete's Choc Beer as well as some of the Coach's beers from the Norman establishment that had previously operated there. We were quite disappointed to arrive only to find it had recently closed.

> The winner is the listener and the advertiser. They now
> have a choice in Tulsa Christian Radio.

I agree. I don't think most listeners care that their favorite Christian station is a business, unless that favorite station is Air 1 or KNYD.

I have heard your radio station Matt and you should not be giving advice to either KXOJ or Spirit. No offense, but you should be learning from both stations. I did think that Seth sounded good in middays. :)

> Wow...
>
> A Christian AC format from COX in Tulsa?!? This reminds me
> of the LIVE 101.5 days from Clear Channel! Why my
> excitement?! Currently i'm employed in the Christian format
> and I called Tulsa home for 22 years.
>
> Here's some thoughts...
>
> *** Clearly this must be a way for Cox to take just a little
> share from KXOJ to protect Mix 96.
>
> *** I've been listening and I'm saddened that COX chose
> Christian AC.
>
> *** Christian Hot AC and/or CHR should have been the choice
> for these reasons.
>
> #1: The 18-34 (CHR) demo is less concerned whether a station
> is a "REAL" Christian station or not. They follow what
> sounds better. The upper end 35-54 (AC) demo is more loyal
> to the station that's "blessed them" and is a "REAL"
> Christian station.
> #2: The younger end of the F 25-54 KXOJ listener at times
> find them a little boring. That's what Live 101.5 showed
> four years ago when Seth Andrews did mornings. Again, a
> potential audience to steal quickly.
> #3: Tulsa is starving for a local Christian station that
> REALLY is YOUR CHOICE FOR THE FAMILY. C'mon. What teen is
> listening to AC?!? KXOJ is not a station the whole family
> agrees on.
>
> *** My prediction for "06" 12+ numbers: Spirit 102.3: 1.1
> KXOJ: 3.3
>
> If only a station would have taken the leap and when CHR. I
> would have been singing "Mamma I'm coming home"! Happy
> Thanksgiving to everyone!
>
> Matt Baldridge
> GM/OM
> Three Trees Communications
> www.thehook.fm
>

Yes...the restaurant is closed. I thought the food was great. Sorry to see it end. (They had the best FRIES!!!)

I called a friend at Cox and they have a great attitude about this. They are not bad folks. In fact, I consider them to be a good bunch.

I know Bob Thornton has had a few good job offers and it wouldn't surprise me if he left KXOJ eventually. Our morning guy "Kank" is going to Houston soon. GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!!!

When a new church opens in town, the other churches do not get jealous. In fact, we need to celebrate that they have opened their doors. It is just one more outlet to get the word out. Isn't that the way we need to look at it?

KXOJ + Spirit + KNYD = great Christian Radio for Tulsa.

> > Kent...you are a smart man. Yes, both Cox & KXOJ want to
> > make money.
>
> Thanks for the good words! And, yes, you're absolutely
> correct that KMMY belongs to the KXOJ family as do KBIX and
> KYAL, both of which at least used to be part of the Sports
> Animal network. Until you had mentioned it, I had forgotten
> those stations were co-owned with KXOJ. Thanks for the
> reminder!
>
> > They also ran the OKIE DOKIE restaurant in Tulsa. (I
> think
> > it closed.) It had a full bar.
>
> I didn't know they ran Okie Dokie's, though I knew KXOJ had
> a listener appreciation party there a year or two ago. I
> can also confirm it closed. I was in Tulsa about six months
> ago, and my father and I wanted to go there as we heard they
> had Pete's Choc Beer as well as some of the Coach's beers
> from the Norman establishment that had previously operated
> there. We were quite disappointed to arrive only to find it
> had recently closed.
>
> > The winner is the listener and the advertiser. They now
> > have a choice in Tulsa Christian Radio.
>
> I agree. I don't think most listeners care that their
> favorite Christian station is a business, unless that
> favorite station is Air 1 or KNYD.
>

That could be a great format for 1050

> > Best of luck to them.
> >
> > Everything happens for a reason.
> >
> > I'm just glad this market can support two stations of this
>
> > format.
> >
> > Says alot about the heritage of CCM here in Tulsa.
> "Spirits"
> > are good here at KXOJ. =)
> >
> > We've got fantastic leadership at KXOJ who know this
> market
> > and a great team.
> >
> > This should be a fun ride.
>
> Now if only someone could sign on a Black Gospel station in
> Tulsa since KTFX (or KTKX) has flipped to Spanish.
>

My kids STILL ask to go to Okie Dokie's.

I think the fact that the sign is still up is a constant tease to them.

> Yes...the restaurant is closed. I thought the food was
> great. Sorry to see it end. (They had the best FRIES!!!)
>
> I called a friend at Cox and they have a great attitude
> about this. They are not bad folks. In fact, I consider
> them to be a good bunch.
>
> I know Bob Thornton has had a few good job offers and it
> wouldn't surprise me if he left KXOJ eventually. Our
> morning guy "Kank" is going to Houston soon. GOOD LUCK MY
> FRIEND!!!
>
> When a new church opens in town, the other churches do not
> get jealous. In fact, we need to celebrate that they have
> opened their doors. It is just one more outlet to get the
> word out. Isn't that the way we need to look at it?
>
> KXOJ + Spirit + KNYD = great Christian Radio for Tulsa.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > > Kent...you are a smart man. Yes, both Cox & KXOJ want
> to
> > > make money.
> >
> > Thanks for the good words! And, yes, you're absolutely
> > correct that KMMY belongs to the KXOJ family as do KBIX
> and
> > KYAL, both of which at least used to be part of the Sports
>
> > Animal network. Until you had mentioned it, I had
> forgotten
> > those stations were co-owned with KXOJ. Thanks for the
> > reminder!
> >
> > > They also ran the OKIE DOKIE restaurant in Tulsa. (I
> > think
> > > it closed.) It had a full bar.
> >
> > I didn't know they ran Okie Dokie's, though I knew KXOJ
> had
> > a listener appreciation party there a year or two ago. I
> > can also confirm it closed. I was in Tulsa about six
> months
> > ago, and my father and I wanted to go there as we heard
> they
> > had Pete's Choc Beer as well as some of the Coach's beers
> > from the Norman establishment that had previously operated
>
> > there. We were quite disappointed to arrive only to find
> it
> > had recently closed.
> >
> > > The winner is the listener and the advertiser. They now
>
> > > have a choice in Tulsa Christian Radio.
> >
> > I agree. I don't think most listeners care that their
> > favorite Christian station is a business, unless that
> > favorite station is Air 1 or KNYD.
> >
>
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by GaryThompson on 11/25/05 04:49 AM.</FONT></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom