• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No More 70s on K-Surf?

After being quarantined with COVID for the past week, when I got in my car to go Passover shopping, I tuned to 105.1 FM HD4 just for $#¡+$ and giggles, and it appears that K-Surf (also heard in Monterey on KSUR—formerly KIDD—630 AM and on FM translator K294CA 106.7) has dropped the 70s and reverted to 50s/60s. I know I’m an outlier, as I’ve learned from posting and reading on this site, but being almost 37 and liking 50s/60s oldies, I was pleasantly surprised by this. If I had to guess, it was based on listener feedback (similar to the adding/dropping of 80s songs not once, but twice), being that it’s a mom-and-pop operation and not the big players like Audacy or iHeart. Not sure if this means no more Disco Saturday nights, which, for some reason unknown to me, was happening every night starting at 6:00 PM.

EDIT: I was at first hesitant to post about this, seeing as how past K-Surf-related threads here have devolved into circular arguments between experts and enthusiasts and had to be locked; but I couldn’t help but notice this change. I hope things can stay civil so that this thread doesn’t meet the same fate.

Last edited:
I have noticed for a long tine that, not always, but as a general rule of thumb, the smaller the station up for discussion, the more intense the debate. KSUR definitely fits that profile.

The debate on KSUR revolved around people who seemed to think that its existence proved a business case for 50s/60s/70s oldies on AM radio. It didn't, no matter how many times people kept insisting that it did.

As for the current changes, who knows what motivates Saul (or more likely his son) to make changes to an HD4 in Los Angeles/AM in Monterey with no measurable audience.

The only thing I can think of---and I'm still not sure it's worth the attention or effort---is that they're focusing on Monterey, where they're (theoretically) competing with KMBY, which they donated to Hanford Youth Services, and which plays classic hits going back to the 70s. Maybe they see an upside in going a bit older.

Last edited:
Doesn't the audio on HD4 bother you ??? to me no Bass no Loudness. I cant listen
Well at least HD-4 is in stereo, whatever programming is presented on their HD-3 is always mono. Their HD-2's audio is the best, classical music in stereo.
After being quarantined with COVID for the past week, when I got in my car to go Passover shopping, I tuned to 105.1 FM HD4 just for $#¡+$ and giggles, and it appears that K-Surf (also heard in Monterey on KSUR—formerly KIDD—630 AM and on FM translator K294CA 106.7) has dropped the 70s and reverted to 50s/60s. I know I’m an outlier, as I’ve learned from posting and reading on this site, but being almost 37 and liking 50s/60s oldies, I was pleasantly surprised by this. If I had to guess, it was based on listener feedback (similar to the adding/dropping of 80s songs not once, but twice), being that it’s a mom-and-pop operation and not the big players like Audacy or iHeart. Not sure if this means no more Disco Saturday nights, which, for some reason unknown to me, was happening every night starting at 6:00 PM.

EDIT: I was at first hesitant to post about this, seeing as how past K-Surf-related threads here have devolved into circular arguments between experts and enthusiasts and had to be locked; but I couldn’t help but notice this change. I hope things can stay civil so that this thread doesn’t meet the same fate.
If you're a fan of this music checkout KYNO 940's app. You can hear Wolfman Jack nightly from 6-11...it'll take you back even if you have never been there !

Based on the fact the post said they were playing 50's and 60's I went online and listened to the Monterey Station .They kept saying playing 60's and 70's. They played lots of good stuff but I did not here any stuff from the 50's Guess it is back to Doowop Radio if I want to listen to some 50's stuff. or listen to WKCE

Based on the fact the post said they were playing 50's and 60's I went online and listened to the Monterey Station .They kept saying playing 60's and 70's. They played lots of good stuff but I did not here any stuff from the 50's Guess it is back to Doowop Radio if I want to listen to some 50's stuff. or listen to WKCE
I heard a couple of 50s songs today. This afternoon, I heard “Dream Lover” by Bobby Darin, from 1959; then this evening I heard “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets, from 1954. I also noticed the “60s, 70s, and beyond” sweepers are still being used. Maybe those will be changed out soon.

Last edited:
The debate on KSUR revolved around people who seemed to think that its existence proved a business case for 50s/60s/70s oldies on AM radio. It didn't, no matter how many times people kept insisting that it did.

As for the current changes, who knows what motivates Saul (or more likely his son) to make changes to an HD4 in Los Angeles/AM in Monterey with no measurable audience.

The only thing I can think of---and I'm still not sure it's worth the attention or effort---is that they're focusing on Monterey, where they're (theoretically) competing with KMBY, which they donated to Hanford Youth Services, and which plays classic hits going back to the 70s. Maybe they see an upside in going a bit older.
I forgot about KMBY in Monterey. Your hypothesis makes perfect sense to me.

I heard a couple of 50s songs today. This afternoon, I heard “Dream Lover” by Bobby Darin, from 1959; then this evening I heard “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets, from 1954. I also noticed the “60s, 70s, and beyond” sweepers are still being used. Maybe those will be changed out soon.
This is a low priority for Mt. Wilson. When they had 1240 and were running "Unforgettables", they'd always cover the L.A. breaks with their own IDs localizing it as "Monterey's Unforgettables". When they flipped it to oldies, they just let the "L.A.'s K-Surf" sweepers run.

It could be a while (or never) before they fix that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom