• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

No Mindy McCready Bounce

NY Daily News media critic David Hinckley noticed a lack of Mindy McCready music on NY's new country station Nash FM. I guess he figured with her Monday night suicide, the station might play some of her old hits as a memorial. The fact is that very few country radio stations played any of her music following her death. I looked at the Mediabase airplay monitor to measure the McCready Bounce, and it was pretty small. She went from less than ten spins a week before her death to about 160 spins afterwards. That's adding up spins for all three of her singles played on over 130 monitored stations. Not a big bounce. Could be that McCready's most recent hit is over 15 years old. She had become a bigger reality TV star than she ever had been in country music. And even when she was current in country, her music was criticized for being too pop. WYNY 103.5 was gone by the time McCready made her debut in 1996. The New York audience didn't have a lot of connection to her music even when she was musically active. So it should be no surprise that she received no airplay after her death.

TheBigA said:
Could be that McCready's most recent hit is over 15 years old.
That's the first thing I thought of. Very rarely do I ever hear anything from the '90s anymore. "Today's Hot New Country and Your All-Time Favorites" works if your all-time favorites are from this decade.

You know you're getting old when you hear Alan Jackson and Reba on a classic country station. I discovered a station from Wasilla, Alaska [Country Legends 100.9] which is heavy with '80s and '90s material.

Yes, McCready's star had long since faded. Besides declining popularity, her troubled lifestyle of substance abuse and domestic problems could have muted programmer's appetites for playing her songs post mortem. It likely did nothing to endear her to country "purists", few as there are.

McCready's demise doesn't seem to be generating the kind of widespread sympathy Faron Young's suicide earned. Young's desperation was tied to his cancer diagnosis, while McCready's is associated with bad behavior.

firepoint525 said:
I don't remember any specific criticism of her for being "too pop," but then again, nearly everyone in country music's recent history has been criticized for being "too pop." ::)

If you take the overall body of recorded music of many of the most revered icons of classic country you will see a decided shift to the pop area. I cite, Ray Price, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline as prime examples. Some "old timers" were really mostly pop, like Lynn Anderson, Bobby Lord, Marion Worth, Sonny James to name a few.

As for Ms. McCready it all depends upon fan demand combined with perceived marketability. Lately we have seen a vast release of "new" material from Buck Owens and Johnny Cash some of which are reworkings of already released works and some of which are "forgotten" treasures dug out of the vaults.

Hank Williams even had some of his unfinished works completed and recorded in the past couple of years, besides the release of radio transcriptions and tapes made at concerts.

No disrespect but I don't see so much interest in Mindy McCready as I do in the others I've mentioned.

How could there be much interest in Mindy's career since her last major hit came in 1998 and the two albums that she made afterwards in 2002 and 2010 both stiffed badly? She wasn't at the height of her career like Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves and Keith Whitley were when they died so basically speaking she had/was completely forgotten by many people except for her drug abuse/custody/Roger Clemens affair/birth of her two sons/suicide of her boyfriend issues. And I would bet the farm that the ACM Awards will not hold a tribute to Mindy because as I said she wasn't exactly a living legend.

nmoore6676 said:
firepoint525 said:
I don't remember any specific criticism of her for being "too pop," but then again, nearly everyone in country music's recent history has been criticized for being "too pop." ::)
If you take the overall body of recorded music of many of the most revered icons of classic country you will see a decided shift to the pop area. I cite, Ray Price, Eddy Arnold, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline as prime examples. Some "old timers" were really mostly pop, like Lynn Anderson, Bobby Lord, Marion Worth, Sonny James to name a few.
I don't recall any of Ms. McCready's material "crossing over," so I suppose (in her case, anyway) that such criticism was baseless and unwarranted.

Some of the folks that you mentioned here had crossover hits, too.

No disrespect but I don't see so much interest in Mindy McCready as I do in the others I've mentioned.
Braves2005 said:
How could there be much interest in Mindy's career since her last major hit came in 1998 and the two albums that she made afterwards in 2002 and 2010 both stiffed badly? She wasn't at the height of her career like Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves and Keith Whitley were when they died so basically speaking she had/was completely forgotten by many people except for her drug abuse/custody/Roger Clemens affair/birth of her two sons/suicide of her boyfriend issues. And I would bet the farm that the ACM Awards will not hold a tribute to Mindy because as I said she wasn't exactly a living legend.
I said some of the same things in that other thread and was called "hateful." Nice to see that I am finally getting some backup here. It wasn't "hateful." It was the truth. Some of us, especially here in Nashville, have had "Mindy McCready fatigue" because every time she made headlines, it was always for all the wrong reasons.

Ten Thousand Angels is still played here from time to time. I would imagine my local station played it on Monday morning but I didn't manage to listen that day.

Mindy's music was too new for classic country and too old for new country stations. That is probably part of the reason she didn't get much air play.

firepoint525 said:
nmoore6676 said:
firepoint525 said:
I don't recall any of Ms. McCready's material "crossing over," so I suppose (in her case, anyway) that such criticism was baseless and unwarranted.

Some of the folks that you mentioned here had crossover hits, too.

Braves2005 said:
I said some of the same things in that other thread and was called "hateful." Nice to see that I am finally getting some backup here. It wasn't "hateful." It was the truth. Some of us, especially here in Nashville, have had "Mindy McCready fatigue" because every time she made headlines, it was always for all the wrong reasons.

The "criticism" of her music as pop is more to the style rather than the actual crossing over.

The fact that she wasn't a legend will have more to do with any "bump" in sales of or interest in her body of work being hyped for any after the grave sales.

However listening to a couple of country stations including classic as well as contemporary I did hear her in the hours following the news of her death and prior to her passing I had not heard her much, in my recollection, for a few years.

nmoore6676 said:
The "criticism" of her music as pop is more to the style rather than the actual crossing over.
The fact that she wasn't a legend will have more to do with any "bump" in sales of or interest in her body of work being hyped for any after the grave sales.
However listening to a couple of country stations including classic as well as contemporary I did hear her in the hours following the news of her death and prior to her passing I had not heard her much, in my recollection, for a few years.
Have you by any chance heard "I'll See You Yesterday"? That was her last recorded song, and was due to be released soon. It will be interesting to see if any stations pick up on it. Her recently deceased boyfriend was the producer on it.

firepoint525 said:
nmoore6676 said:
Have you by any chance heard "I'll See You Yesterday"? That was her last recorded song, and was due to be released soon. It will be interesting to see if any stations pick up on it. Her recently deceased boyfriend was the producer on it.

What a tantalizing title! Wonder if this song contains post-mortem messages from Mindy? I haven't heard this number, nor any discussion about it.

firepoint525 said:
nmoore6676 said:

The one I heard the most was " Ten Thousand Angels" and once "Guys Do It All The Time" which I believe was off the same album.

firepoint525 said:
ya, would be an interesting topic for a deep morning show heart felt discussion and presell of the playing of the song. but, i reckon this real life tragic country music event will be swept under the carpet and ignored by most all of the major market bubba morning show schtick acts. standard operation procedure morning show radio consultants recommend keeping things belly laughing often with the cute sounding giggle girl side kick, or studies show the average attention deficit disordered countrypolitan AQH listener may switch over to the competition for funner fun and games, good times, belly laughs, and todays hot hits.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom