• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Nitetime DX-ing in Tampa!

I don't know how many old timers there are on this board, but wondering if there are some relaible skywave singals that come into the market at night.

Someone mentioned WBZ from Boston coming in at night (which would be a treat!), but so far no luck

Can anyone recommend some good Night AM DX catches?

I don't know how many old timers there are on this board, but wondering if there are some relaible skywave singals that come into the market at night.

Someone mentioned WBZ from Boston coming in at night (which would be a treat!), but so far no luck

Can anyone recommend some good Night AM DX catches?

Might try WTAM 1100 out of Cleveland. Was able to pick it up back in the early 80s when I moved back down there [and it was WWWE back then] and was able to pick it up in January when I was down there visiting. Didn't come in as good as it used to but what they heck, I got it. Might be a little hard with WTIS being adjacent to 1100. Might try WCBS 880. WSM 650.

Might try WTAM 1100 out of Cleveland. Was able to pick it up back in the early 80s when I moved back down there [and it was WWWE back then] and was able to pick it up in January when I was down there visiting. Didn't come in as good as it used to but what they heck, I got it. Might be a little hard with WTIS being adjacent to 1100. Might try WCBS 880. WSM 650.

I'll try tonight...but it appears all the great propagation we remember from way back when is gone.

Seems all of the shortwave bands are not performing pretty well either.

Sunspot cycle is down at the very bottom and the solar propagation forecasts don't show it going up any time soon.

SW is dead now even when the propagation is good. It has been abandoned by most of the major SW broadcasters.

On a good night, with the right receiver, in the right spot away from all the suburbia solar panels, neon lights, CFLs and computers, one can expect to get most of the [usual] ones below, and occasionally more...

700 WLW, 750 WSB, 650 WSM, WWL 870, WCBS 880, 1110 WBT, 840 WHAS, 1200 WOAI, 610 WIOD, and of course a few things up in the expanded band from Southeast.

Sunset to dusk....good time to get started as some of the DX daytimers are still around to sample.... Others come and go as the skies permit. You also have the cuban interference to consider, for some of the clobbering.

They're out there... it's just a lot harder to sample than it was 20 years ago.... for sure.

Byron

I'll try tonight...but it appears all the great propagation we remember from way back when is gone.

Seems all of the shortwave bands are not performing pretty well either.

We are actually in a terrific sunspot low, and DX like Europeans being heard in the central US and Oceania being heard east of the Mississippi are starting to show up in the reports of the medium wave DX clubs.

Shortwave is similarly attractive, but there are so few stations left that it's really hard to compare. There used to be several hundred shortwave stations in Latin America and now there are just a handful.

Shortwave is similarly attractive, but there are so few stations left that it's really hard to compare. There used to be several hundred shortwave stations in Latin America and now there are just a handful.

Check the ham bands, still decent activity there, mostly either codgers comparing antennas and chatting about the weather, right-wing political types of all ages, and the occasional gathering of tech whiz kids talking about computer stuff. And as far as shortwave being "attractive," that would only be for 20 meters (14 mHz) and down. The higher frequency bands are generally devoid of any sort of DX night and day.

When I was at First Phone wonder school in Sarasota, FL in around 1980, I remember WCKY on 1530 and KAAY on 1090, along with most mentioned in byron's post.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom