• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NFL on Fox play-caller Thom Brenneman fired for anti-gay slur

Smart move. Most in this type of situation will likely be valuable again after a timeout. Anyone remember how Marv Albert just had to just wait out his indiscretions? Though a different indiscretion for sure.

How many people remember what Marv Albert did? Not many, I'll guess.

How many remember him period?

Baby boomer sports fans, mostly, especially basketball fans, through his work in New York and for NBC. Your snark is usually on target, and appreciated, but in this case you're dismissing one of the prominent sportscasters of the '60s through '80s as forgotten. Would you also ask "How many remember Keith Jackson?" or "How many remember Curt Gowdy?"

I would assume many NBA fans remember Marv Albert, because he's still active with TNT. Many fewer will remember why he missed an NBA finals 21 years ago for NBC, and most probably didn't know about his indiscretions at the time.

Unlike Keith Jackson and Curt Gowdy, who have been retired for 15 and 35 years, respectively. I probably watched Jackson call a few Big Ten football games for ABC in the late 90s, but I don't remember him specifically. I don't recognize the name Curt Gowdy at all, but it looks like he was put out to pasture by NBC in 1978, and worked regional assignments after that. Based on that, and my date of birth, it's not surprising I wouldn't know his name.

That's why I'd bet on Reds radio as a soft landing spot for him. He'd be working for WLW radio with the approval of the Reds rather than for a network. Cincinnati is a conservative city, Thom's dad is a legend there. There's no place more likely to forgive and forget. Of course, this all depends on WLW or the Reds having reason to dump one of its current radio voices or wanting to add a third man to the crew.

Why would they get rid of somebody who made no deragatory comments to make room for somebody who did that would be a stupid move. Hope he is banished from the airwaves permanently.

No one has mentioned Marv Albert's association with hockey. For many years he was the radio voice of the New York Rangers. He was also the lead play-by-play announcer for the syndicated "NHL Game of the Week" during the 1976–77 season. Now, how many people remember Marv's brothers Al and Steve?

No one has mentioned Marv Albert's association with hockey. For many years he was the radio voice of the New York Rangers. He was also the lead play-by-play announcer for the syndicated "NHL Game of the Week" during the 1976–77 season. Now, how many people remember Marv's brothers Al and Steve?

I'd forgotten to mention his hockey work, then I remembered an afternoon at the campus bookstore during my college years at Syracuse. I was there for a book-signing and chat session with Stan Fischler, the noted hockey writer, when who should wander into the store but SU alum Marv Albert, who was going to be doing a Syracuse basketball game for NBC the next day. He and Stan were obviously old friends and Marv added a lot to the lively discussion with all of us hockey nuts in the audience. Both signed my copy of Stan's book ("Slashing"), with Stan adding "For a Bruins fan, you're not bad."

Why can Kenny Albert do NFL On Fox & do NHL On NBC I always thought that if you are hired by the networks you can't be with another network how does Kenny get away with that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom